New Zealand Radio

Gary mccormack must be amused…not
Leaves a high profile job on more fm only to lose his new gig on today fm
Did he actually get to do a show on today?

1 Like

He did. I’m not sure how many though.

Yeah he had done 4 episodes. They are actually still up on Spotify if you search McCormick Unleashed

3 Likes

As at 5 April 2023, the following revised frequencies are structured as follows:

Humm FM - aka “Humm AM/FM”
Auckland 104.2FM & 702AM

The Breeze
Northland 90.8FM & 100.7FM
Gisborne 94.9FM
Wellington 94.1FM, 98.5FM & 1233AM
Christchurch 94.5FM & 738AM

George FM
Dunedin 96.6FM

The Rock
Picton 92.3FM
Kaikoura 89.1FM
Mackenzie Country (Tekapo and Twizel) 91FM

To be confirmed by MediaWorks in due course
Auckland 90.2FM
Waikato 100.2FM
Tauranga 100.6FM
Rotorua 95.1FM
Reporoa 98FM
Whakatane 92.1FM
Hawke’s Bay 106.3FM
Whanganui 96FM
Manawatu 93.8FM
Kapiti Coast 99.1FM
Wairarapa 98.3FM
Wellington 98.9FM
Nelson 96FM
Blenheim 95.3FM
Westport 90.1FM
Christchurch 95.3FM
Timaru 105.9FM
Oamaru 100.8FM
Queenstown 91.2FM
Alexandra 95.9FM
Southland 94FM

@OnAir I have a question for you to ask, which is precise. Is Sarah van der Kley based in Christchurch and hosts The Breeze’s drive show from there, or has she moved to Auckland (where the majority of network programming, plus Robert & Jeanette as a local breakfast show for Auckland, is being produced)? Correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

Last I heard Sarah was still based out of Christchurch.

2 Likes

Thanks, @OnAir! Just making sure that the information on The Breeze’s Wikipedia page is correct.

1 Like

I imagine what is on 100.6 will also be on 1107AM?
Or split formats :thinking:

The 1107AM signal in the Western Bay of Plenty (Tauranga and Rotorua) has now been decommissioned, as did 1368AM in Hawke’s Bay.

Guys, just a question, do you think that it would have ‘saved’ Today FM if it was moved to online only, like The Platform and Reality Check?

Not a chance (imo). Maybe if it had a big backer with deep pockets … but i don’t know if it was compelling enough that it would even compete with the likes of The Platform and RCR. (Not saying that they are better, just that they have a target audience , as niche as it may be)

1 Like

Fair enough. Just thought that tranmission costs would be a big part of running it, that is all (Im guessing Mediaworks would charge Today FM for use of its frequencies, etc.

Not really how it works - they’re a Mediaworks concept so all costs are absorbed by them. There’s no Today FM leasing a frequency - MWorks already owns (well, leases long term) the frequencies.

Oh ok, a lot of companies have internal markets, etc, and charge internally, that’s all.

The Rock website has listed these former Today FM frequencies since Monday:

• Picton 92.3
  • Kaikoura 89.1
  • Mackenzie Country 91.0
1 Like

Note that Westport 90.1 was not impacted by the March closure. It ceased as Today FM during the last quarter of 2022.

Thanks for the update, @DLK. More frequency changes to come (apart from Westport)…

As I said above :wink:
I still think Magic should be simulcast on 702AM in Auckland - but 100.6 is available almost everywhere, I guess.
Any picks for what they might do with 90.2FM in Auckland? I checked it this morning and it’s still playing the random classic hits-type music of last week, with a news bulletin every hour (but no mention of it being the Mediaworks Newsroom, etc).

That’s a bit of a shame, I would have put Magic on it been it is targeted at an older audience there would have been the likelihood of listeners on the AM Band