New Zealand Radio

“starting ad free” confirms that ads will come.

2 Likes

Sampling the station now

1 Like

I heard Steal My Sunshine last week.
As to Channel X, it is interesting hearing it. Takes me back to Channel Z’s Wgtn launch in 96, a lot of this sounds familiar to me, although I think Z had a bigger “Gold” library.

Sometime ago, Gold was replaced on 106.1FM in Gisborne by Coast and is now streaming live on iHeartRadio, although it broadcasts to Gisborne on the low power frequency of 88.3FM.

A bit more 70s-80s alternative (The Cure, The Smiths, Replacements, Devo, Joy Division, Elvis Costello etc) would be nice to hear… as would a bit more early 90s UK indie (Stone Roses, Blur, Charlatans, Happy Mondays)… but all things considered not a bad start.

1 Like

For curiosity’s sake, here’s what usually gets played in an hour on Channel X

In case anyone was wondering who the newsreaders have been for the music stations such as The Sound, Breeze, Magic etc since Today FM closure:
Breakfast - Grace Cocker (Bridget Hastie last week)
Mornings - Glen Stuart
Drive - Tyler McDonald
Nights - Geoff Bryan

Also since she’s no longer days newsreader Trudi Nelson has had her Magic radio show extended (from next Monday 2 hours longer 10am-2pm).

5 Likes

The AM frequency for 2XS (1548AM) is now added on its website.

The 1548AM signal can be heard across the lower North Island, but 2XS can still be heard in Palmerston North on 106.7FM and live streamed online.

So Mary-Jane Tomasi is gone? That’s a pity, I thought she was quite a good newsreader.

1 Like

She has been gone since the RadioLive-MagicTalk days I think.

1 Like

Yeah, she left 2021 I think.

2 Likes

Hasn’t been on air since 2021. Now owns/operates a home staging business.

1 Like

Jumped or pushed?

I believe her role, along with all of the other newsreader roles, were proposed to be disestablished (due to the restructure caused by the closure of Magic Talk and the launch of Today FM) and she chose not to reapply.

2 Likes

Considering she’s been in the business since the 1980’s, it was probably time for a career change.

1 Like

Anyone know how Mediaworks is sourcing its sports news? Do they still have sports journalists/readers?

Yes they still have a small news/sport team.

1 Like

Doubt MediaWorks will be too upset with how Duncan Garner’s podcast is performing. After 2 episodes #11 on Spotify, #5 on Apple podcasts.

It’s actually a pretty good listen.

Newstalk ZB has a new studio desk and screens - a bit lower than the last one and triangular in design. No doubt preparing for more video content from in studio, something that Today FM did very well at.

(Photo taken from a LinkedIn post)

2 Likes

wonder if this has to do with there election coverage