New Zealand Radio

The Rock in Auckland has stopped broadcasting on 106.2FM and now broadcasting back to its usual roots on 90.2FM. A looped message has been played as of today.

1 Like

Might have missed it here but what’s intended for 106.2?

1 Like

To be determined from my understanding.

2 Likes

@OnAir Either The Sound (on 93.8FM) or Humm FM (on 104.2FM & 702AM), but, according to @theGradyConnell, an exact replacement to fill the 106.2FM slot in Auckland is to be determined.

1 Like

I think the replacements have been determined but are yet to be announced for the frequencies that have the music filler programme and for 106.2 Auckland, 104.2 Hamilton, 94.6 Palmerston North and 104.5 Wellington.
Auckland is probably the hardest to pick, and as noted in an earlier post another alternative is Waatea picks up one of Mediaworks’ lower powered frequencies

2 Likes

There’s a loop on 96.0 Whanganui announcing Mai FM is returning from 1 May.

3 Likes

After all those years on 603AM, Radio Waatea may finally make its FM debut by launching on 106.2FM in Auckland…

2 Likes

The unbranded music format on the remaining Today FM stations has been replaced by a rather humourous audio loop advertising that a different station will replace the current one “in the next week or two”. The announcer sounds familiar, can anyone place it?

3 Likes

Richie Culph - More FM Station VO, and is the head of digital audio at Mediaworks, so most likely will be something related to rova I’d imagine

2 Likes

Audio here:

1 Like

I am “semi-excited” :joy:

Christchurch’s Pulzar FM announced recently that, after nearly 25 years on air, it will be closing its doors in about two weeks from now.

3 Likes

According to the (paywalled) Herald article below MediaWorks are offering Lloyd, Duncan and Polly podcast gigs.
Lobbyist Mark Unsworth, RNZ’s Guyon Espiner battle over MPs guide; some Today FM stars may get reprieve; Stuff’s paywall and NZ Herald response - NZ Herald

Just as George FM enters the market

2 Likes

On reddit a person associated with the station indicates this is a key factor, especially as Pulzar are currently based out of Mediaworks Chch studios which is no longer an option for them with the George launch and MW must also have a role with their advertising which is also a factor.

I am thinking if you are a true Pulzar fan then the homogenized George FM will be a poor replacement.

2 Likes

With Pulzar FM preparing to close down and George FM broadcasting to Christchurch on 95.3FM (from the Sugarloaf transmitter), I don’t know if Mai will take over from Pulzar FM on 100.9FM (from the Huntsbury Hill transmitter) as it currently broadcasts on a low power frequency (106.8FM) since the arrival of Today FM…

George FM broadcasts from the Auckland Studios. So I don’t think studio space is the reason.

1 Like

End of an era for the station, at least George FM will take control.

Yes I know, but it sounds like MW isn’t letting the Pulzar use their studio facilities anymore as they are operating a dance format station of their own which is fair enough really. Apparently it was leased monthly.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense. Sorry I misunderstood your comment.

1 Like