New Zealand Radio

This link explains it better that I could:

2 Likes

They generally do, at least where I live… it’s in their best interests. Everyone seems to stay about 0.3MHz apart (they tend to use the upper-end of the spectrum too, I guess there’s less chance of interfering with Emergency/Aviation Comms?).

It might be different in the big centres, I imagine they mightn’t leave enough space between each other. And in a lot of cases, the commercial networks who broadcast their less-mainstream stations (like George FM)… which I personally don’t think is really what that bit of spectrum was allocated for, but no one’s stopping them, I guess becuase their engineers make sure their signals are within spec. A lot of LP stations mightn’t be quite so compliant, but that’s the RSM’s problem… they do have inspectors, but it’s usually up to individuals to complain about it.

Edit:
As an example, the last time I did a band-scan in Wanganui (16/5/22) bought up the following:
88.5 Absolute Live FM (seemed to be a rebroadcast of an Alexandra station)
88.8 The Edge and the rest of the Commercial Stations, 4MHz spacing until…
105.6 Not sure what it is, but it’s the last Commercial Station in the area
106.3 ? An Oldies Music Station (way to close
106.7 ? Music Station, no ID’s
107.0 Castlecliff Radio (playing Country Music at the time)
107.3 Wanganui East Radio
107.5 Religious Talk station (didn’t listen long enough to catch what it was)
107.7 May have been same as 107.5, dodgy transmitter?
All of these broadcast within 5km of each other.

1 Like
  • 88.5 Absolute Live FM (is a rebroadcast of an Alexandra station)
  • 105.6 The Avenue (Wikipedia)
  • 106.7 Roxy Radio (Wikipedia)

The licensed full power band is 88.6 to 106.3MHz, and LPFM is 87.6 to 88.3 and 106.7 to 107.7.
The spacing from 88.8 to 105.6 for Whanganui is 0.8MHz.
106.3 is obviously not part of the LPFM general user licence. Perhaps Beach FM Kapiti (Forest Heights) at 442m asl is what you picked up from a distance.

2 Likes

There are a lot of interesting LPFM stations out there. Up until a few months ago, there was one being relayed from NP here in Waitara. Bascically Magic but with more variety in its playlist and no ads. then all of a sudden I couldnt pick it up.

2 Likes

Its a great innovation, another reason why NZ is high on the democracy index.

Lack of consultation they probably have a strong case - only 3 hours is brutal but “the hurt and humiliation as it all unfolded live on air” – not that you can blame them at all for doing it but erm unless I’m mistaken Mediaworks didn’t advise Tova and Garner to tell all on air? and a meeting scheduled for later in the day had to be brought forward because of this.

Mediaworks may have Grounds to take some form of disciplinary action according to one employment lawyer …

Could get pretty messy.

3 Likes

98.9 in Wellington is now Magic with RDS updated. Still on 104.5 but would imagine will become George FM as suggested earlier by Paddy.

1 Like

Just make this George FM and give it a high power frequency, as I do believe it is quite popular in Tauranga

1 Like

@gordo92 Thanks for your suggestion, but it’s about patience. The exact frequency change for 100.6FM in Tauranga will be confirmed by MediaWorks as soon as possible.

It appears that Mai FM’s frequencies for Ashburton (90.1FM), Timaru (105.9FM) and Oamaru (100.8FM) are not listed on Mai’s website, and that 90.1FM in Ashburton does not exist as Today FM never broadcast to that area.

1 Like

Agree with comments for Ashburton - there’s not even a licence for 90.1 there.
Where are you getting the information about Timaru and Oamaru given it’s not on the MaiFM website?

Thanks for the link. I noticed that the “Today FM Frequencies Update” is from six days ago so someone associated with the page appears to be speculating or perhaps has some inside knowledge of what might be intended.
Mediaworks have been pretty good at updating their official websites so far except in the case of The Breeze Whakatane (jumped the gun) and Magic Wellington.

(Edit) Received message from a friend who advised in respect of Oamaru and Timaru earlier this afternoon “They’re not playing Mai FM yet, both in // with back-back EZL music, far removed from Mai FM’s audio feed!”

The options for both frequencies look to be Mai or George or a rearrangement that brings one of those brands into those places.

1 Like

You’re welcome, @DLK. Just recently the team from The Radio Vault (TRV) have blocked me from their Facebook page.

I’ve been keeping informed and up to date with the latest information regarding the former Today FM frequencies, but I’ve posted an excessive amount of comments and someone like you wanted to know where I get the information from as my brain appears to be overloaded.

I apologised to the TRV team for the situation, thanked them for their replies on Facebook and wished them good luck.

3 Likes

@Mechsta I didn’t do anything wrong whilst on TRV’s Facebook page, e.g. misinformation. Just getting the facts right. And I am NOT a conspiracy theorist or activist either.

1 Like

In the age of social media people seem to guess a little arse hurt when you prove them wrong :laughing:

2 Likes

MediaWorks today announced that The Rock has returned to its old Auckland home on 90.2FM.

4 Likes

Definitely a smart decision

1 Like

When was this? I had issues with the last guy who ran that page, but the one now seems okay.
As to The Rock returning to 90.2 in Auckland - what to do with 106.2? They already moved Humm FM from there to another frequency. All their other stations are available there already.

Have a look back at 5-Apr discussion. My opinion is there will be rearrangement to allocate frequencies with greater licensed power to higher rating brands or to increase ratings for lesser brands. Current licence and brand details:

Freq Location kW_licensed Programme
90.2 Skytower 50 The Rock
91.8 Skytower 50 More FM
93.4 Skytower 50 The Breeze
93.8 Skytower 8 synchronous The Sound
94.2 Skytower 50 The Edge
100.6 Skytower 50 Magic
104.2 Pukekohe Hill 3 Humm FM
106.2 Skytower 20 The Rock
702 Henderson 31 Humm FM
3 Likes

As at 17 April 2023, REX (Rural Exchange) has switched to Magic. Below are the exact broadcast times*:

Best of REX
Mon-Fri, 5:00-6:00am

REX Today
Mon-Fri, 12:00-12:30pm

REX
Sat-Sun, 6:00-8:00am

REX Radio is also available around the clock as an audio channel on the rova app.

*Correct me if I’m wrong.