New Zealand Radio

Gold fm doing a golden years weekend now a different year of music each year

@gordo92 The Edge used to broadcast on 99.8FM in Tauranga and Magic, 88.6FM.

It is intended that The Edge would return to its old Tauranga home on 99.8FM with Mai moving to 88.6FM, George FM to 96.6FM and Magic to 100.6FM to align with Auckland’s - although the exact frequency changes in Tauranga are to be confirmed by MediaWorks in due course.

George FM also broadcasts to Dunedin on 96.6FM.

Can Confirm Whanganui’s 96.0 is playing “Non-TodayFM”. Pre-recorded message mentioned the Cricket and REX will continue to be broadcast on this frequency (I think that was mentioned above).

Playlist sounds like a Retail-Radio sort of mix…

Rural Exchange will play on Magic at 5AM from Monday 17th - the week after next

1 Like

The change will happen on Monday 17th April, so that is next week.

Nigel Yalden signed off the final Mediaworks cricket game a short time and thanking the staff and fellow commentators.

Their contract is up for renewal but hard to see them chasing it again unless it goes to Magic as a breakout.

I suspect SENZ or maybe Gold Sport will pick Uk the rights from next summer.

5 Likes

That will piss me off, having to put up with some bloke rattling on about farming when I want to listen to music.

It will probably piss off Magic listeners even more having to listen to 5 hours of test cricket all day. I’m guessing will go to SENZ.

1 Like

Here is the final sign off from Nigel Yalden under Blackcaps Radio from MediaWorks as their radio deal comes to an end.

2 Likes

Test cricket is about 7 hours all up per day!

1 Like

One of the biggest wonders for me regarding NZ radio is how these niche rural shows have become more prominent on commercial radio in the last decade, is there that much interest?

1 Like

Listener wise they’re fairly niche. But, Commercially they’re big drivers. SENZ is expanding its rural footprint.

4 Likes

EX-TODAY FM FREQUENCY UPDATE
The Sound began broadcasting to Manawatu on 93.8FM, according to The Radio Vault via YouTube, despite the fact that it still broadcasts on its own Manawatu frequency (94.6FM).

I went to Wikipedia and have noticed that the 93.8FM signal, from the Wharite transmitter, has an effective radiated power of 40 kW. This compares to the old 94.6FM signal, from the Wharite South transmitter, which has an effective radiated power of just 5 kW.

Retuning to 93.8FM allows the people of the wider Manawatu region, including Palmerston North, to enjoy their favourite classic rock ‘loud and clear’.

In other news, I was informed that REX (Rural Exchange) has moved to its new home on Magic and will begin broadcasting on the Magic network at 5am on the morning of Monday 17 April.

As at 8 April 2023, the following revised frequencies are structured as follows:

Humm FM - aka “Humm AM/FM”
Auckland 104.2FM & 702AM

The Breeze
Northland 90.8FM & 100.7FM
Whakatane 92.1FM
Gisborne 94.9FM
Wellington 94.1FM, 98.5FM & 1233AM
Christchurch 94.5FM & 738AM

George FM
Dunedin 96.6FM

The Rock
Picton 92.3FM
Kaikoura 89.1FM
Mackenzie Country (Tekapo and Twizel) 91FM

The Sound
Manawatu 93.8FM

To be confirmed by MediaWorks during the next few days
Auckland 90.2FM
Waikato 100.2FM
Tauranga 100.6FM
Rotorua 95.1FM
Reporoa 98FM
Hawke’s Bay 106.3FM
Whanganui 96FM
Kapiti Coast 99.1FM
Wairarapa 98.3FM
Wellington 98.9FM
Nelson 96FM
Blenheim 95.3FM
Christchurch 95.3FM
Timaru 105.9FM
Oamaru 100.8FM
Queenstown 91.2FM
Alexandra 95.9FM
Southland 94FM

This is just an update.

3 Likes

Whakatane 92.1 listed on website for The Breeze

Sounds like from Yalden’s comments at the end of the clip Horomono posted (when he talked about Blackcaps Radio not being able to fulfill the promise he believes it has shown) that Mediaworks won’t be going after the rights again.

I think those comments are in regards to Today FM not the cricket commentary.

1 Like

Surprised gold am doesnt go
For the cricket radio rights…they seem to go
Ok when they have super rugby

The rights are up after this year. First opportunity since Radio Sport declined to re-sign (and shut down).

That was my read on it too.

2 Likes

Mediaworks did seem to have given up on the cricket at the end … Commentating done Remotely to cut costs

1 Like

Did not know they did it remotely

There were certainly some matches this season where they were on site but towards the end they were not.

1 Like