Network Ten post-CBS

They do.

FTA rights to the current series. They don’t have previous season available AFAIK. In the US CBS All Access has every US season; which was my original point.

Imagine you are the head of CBS. It would be incredibly tempting to take your network’s name and its big brands - CBS News, CBS Sports, CBS This Morning, CBSN, CBS All Access, etc etc etc - to a fully-fledged, big free-to-air network in a major economy (and English-speaking at that). The synergies would be something they would dream of. Also, yes unfortunately, it wouldn’t go unnoticed that TEN is a ‘struggling’ brand, to say the least. It would at least be on the table to re-invent the network, even the staunchest Ten-change deniers would have to agree. I’m not saying it will happen, but I am saying to think like the boss of CBS.

4 Likes

Imagine you are the head of CBS and you rebrand the channels of a fully-fledged, big free-to-air network in a major economy (and English-speaking at that) but it fails miserably. Imagine the embarrassment the boss of CBS would suffer and how the CBS brand would be tarnished.

6 Likes

I don’t think they think like that. That’s not how Richard Branson thinks when he takes Virgin Airlines to country after country. Also, just as an aside, regardless of CBS - channel numbers as a thing are on the way out in this day and age. I’m talking about how it is a multi-platform media environment.

you cannot compare Richard Branson’s expanding Virgin Airlines to Moonves expanding CBS into Australia.

The biggest difference is that CBS would be taking over an existing brand, not creating a new one. And that is the biggest reason it will never happen. CBS are smart enough to know what the public perception of TEN becoming CBS would be, and it would not be pretty.

TEN becoming CBS would fail.

6 Likes

They can’t do much worse. For all we know, TEN changing its name [IF IT DID] could, in fact, be the first of other similar moves by other broadcasters. Who would bet that Nine or Seven would still be named as they are now in 10 or 20 years? Just look at how much has changed since 2008?

And Virgin has taken over several older airlines around the world and re-named them.

1 Like

Of course they could do worse. Thry could go bust and be shut down. As it stands, Ten is still profitable and attracts advertising. It wins demographics which advertisers love. Just because it isn’t as successful as Nine and Seven doesn’t mean it’s a failure. How many other countries have three successful networks with equal market share and profits. Not many I’d wager. Most countries have two dominating networks and then a number of smaller ones, just like we have in Australia.

2 Likes

Uhh, most top 20 countries have more than 3 profitable networks.

And Ten can be profitable again too. Don’t forget, Seven and Nine made a loss last year too. This year they turned things around.

A rebranding won’t suddenly make them profitable. They need better programming and promotion.

That’s not my point. Of course the network can be profitable. Rebranding a company may not be the be all and end all, but there is a reason why companies rebrand.

Yes, CBS here would be a massive change. HOWEVER, if you think about it, outside of the news hours, after a short while, it would just kind of settle down and people would get used to it… The Project… on CBS. Gogglebox… on CBS. And so on. And, yes, CBS News would sound funny, but normal after a while. And I don’t see how it would drastically worsen those 300,000 numbers their 5pm news gets now. (My bet is a local 6pm news, but that’s another story). By the way, I don’t want this to happen. I’m just saying what I think is a pretty good possibility.

1 Like

The obsession some here have with CBS dumping half a century of brand equity is becoming tedious.

The chairman and chief executive of CBS has signalled it won’t be happening, people who work for the broadcaster have stated here, many times, that the Ten brand is staying and the initiatives Ten has announced over the past few months all point to the Ten brand being retained.

Do we need to close this topic until something concrete is announced to stop the same tired arguments being rehashed every few weeks?

18 Likes

I’m getting sick of saying it five different ways to Sunday to be honest.

No matter how you say it, the ignorant few refuse to believe you and continue with their incessant ramblings.

6 Likes

Ten could easily pull off a (national) morning newscast like this. Remember how high-brow (and stale, “yesterday”-feeling) their old 6am news was with Ron and Tim? I would also run this kind of show through to 12pm - instead of Studio 10.

How can you easily make a 6 hour news program when you have a decimated news department that can barely produce a one hour news program per day.

Well - if u want to get specific (and a bit antsy) - what I am proposing there could cost less than Studio 10.

and have less profit making ability (no advertorials.)

Well Good Day LA is #1…

And doesn’t Today Extra have infomercials? So could this.

One has to wonder how much profit advertorial inserts generate which effectively reduces the net cost of production and IF TEN did this, whether they could recoup this revenue by screening infomercials on 11 or One during the day OR whether Ten should leave it as is although reducing Studio 10 to 3 hours (and screening between 8am and 11am) could be an option with a news product screening on the back of it.

put it this way, Advertorials have paid enough to keep Studio 10 going.

The benefit is their 4 minute duration, integration with the show (set, host etc) and that is why they pay well.