Network Ten post-CBS

I think it “likely to highly likely” that the brand change will come. It would be different if 10 was performing well - CBS execs would say “don’t change a thing”, but given 10’s poor performance I can easily imagine that CBS would allow a short time for a turnaround in performance, before deciding drastic measures are needed, with a major relaunch being required. And CBS ego will come into it. I don’t necessarily think it’s the right thing to do, given Australian parochialism, but likely nevertheless.

1 Like

you got me thinking … when i was in the philippines last year manilla broadcasted cbs television and it was cbs rtn or something like that maybe here in australia it would be called cbs ten

1 Like

Oh my God. How many ways do they need to say it?

TEN is not disappearing.

9 Likes

:-1:

You don’t just ditch a brand with a 50 year history and change it to something completely foreign. CBS are three letters most Australians wouldn’t understand when joined together, or care about. I understand change is appealing and urgently needed at Ten but giving it a new name is not the answer. It would amount to putting lipstick on a pig and that’s why it is not happening.

1 Like

I can see something like this eventuating.

CBS ‘Eye’ with TEN in place of the CBS.

I am also not averse to the idea of including SYDNEY / MELBOURNE etc as per the graphic with AUSTIN.

3 Likes

You can say that all you like but history of corporations worldwide - including the history of TV stations all over this country - shows otherwise.

I wonder if Bruce Gordon got his hands on Ten whether it would have remained named as Ten or whether he would have re-branded it WIN or called it WIN TEN

Bruce Gordon doesn’t care about brands as much as CBS does.

That’s evident in his self destructive behavoour with his brand.

4 Likes

Though that is a CBS affiliate not a station owned by CBS. Nearly all CBS owned stations (CBS, CW, MyNetwork and independent), use a channel number in the logos for their primary channels. The two exceptions are one CW station and one Decades.

2 Likes

the only reason why bruce got 10 as wins affiliate is coz of money i think anyways he knew if he went independent it would cost more so now he got his money he doesn’t care what is shown or not and he doesn’t care about win or 10 as whole , the whole win waters marks are a prime example or how it goes in the ratings. i just hope when cbs fully takes over 10 they do something about bruce gordon and make win a decent affiliate

Regional TV has certainly had its fair share of name changes over the past few decades to the point that we’re now seeing stations like NBN Northern NSW and Southern Cross Tasmania (names which likely have a history of being beloved and trusted in their respective markets) have been leaning towards more network-aligned branding in recent years.

In metropolitan capital cities though, the Seven, Nine & Ten brands have probably all been around long enough to be completely irreplaceable. You only have to look at the failed attempts to phase out the 2DayFM and 2CH callsigns in recent years + the actually successful killing of the 2UE callsign (and the station in general) to figure out how well a Ten > CBS rebrand might be received here in Sydney.

4 Likes

CBS won’t take over 10 “fully” like that … they are leaving the business in the hands of TEN management.

1 Like

I find it much more interesting talking about content and channels as opposed to semantics around rebranding. Every organisation does it and I think target markets view it cynically, as ploy to cover up poor performance or just waste money they (the audience in this case) could benefit more from.

1 Like

Well said.

1 Like

I’m not anti-rebrand it’s just they should be rarely done because they’re rarely done well. The KIIS FM rebrand of Mix only worked because they invested heavily in getting marquee talent to front it and the station being rebranded was not as well known or established as say a 50+ year old TV network.

1 Like

Might as well reopen the rampant relaunch thread lol

4 Likes

I don’t think ditching the letters ‘TEN’ is the way to go. I believe it is too drastic a move, from what viewers are familiar with. Just look at what happened with Nine when it abandoned it’s balls briefly. I also think the numerical 10 they attempted to familiarise viewers with has been a flop so wouldn’t attempt to make that the permanent new logo either.

This way, you have the round ‘eye’ logo as being the circle the letters used to be in, while still maintaining the letters by it’s side.

It would also be versatile in that you could name ELEVEN and ONE in similar fashion while keeping all other elements unique to streamline branding somewhat. Same thing with PLAY, DAILY, and ALL ACCESS.

Would love to see a mock-up presentation if anyone has the time to put one together.

4 Likes

i hope cbs rebrands win coz right now the win brand as a tv station isn’t the best and imo a complete failure since win became an affiliate of ten

Perhaps they need to bring back The Entertainment Network slogan and maybe have the T E N from that land inside the current circle used in the logo