Network Ten post-CBS

Why would they waste time and money on a show like that at 4pm when the cheap cooking shows are winners in that timeslot?

Well I actually thought The Daily Edition on Seven was a waste of money along with Nine News Now and National Nine News from 3pm til 5:00pm, but they appear to be working

The Daily Edition is funded by infomercials and the news programs work because they’re on Seven and Nine. Ten has a lot of work to do to build up their new brand again for starters. But 4pm is not the problem for Ten.

Ten have tried moving The Project everywhere between 6pm and 7pm and have tried news and current affairs shows at 6pm and 6.30pm and 7pm. It’s easy to say just put Ten News at 6pm but you’re halving your news service and they’ve tried it but it didn’t dent Seven News or Nine News.

1 Like

Could depend on who they have as host. If a CBS owned TEN network could lure either Steve Liebmann or Ray Martin to present a 6pm weeknight bulletin, they may be in with a chance to dent the other news bulletins. Lets just say to make money you need to spend money. It just depends on whether they are willing to spend money.

If they kept a 5pm hour long edition, maybe they could look at an hour of game shows followed by a shortened edition of The Project or try a new current affairs show and move The Project to 9:30pm to become a mid-evening news/current affairs show (if they didn’t want to mess with the format). It would be an option, but not sure how it would/could do mid evening.

You’ve got to be joking. Steve Liebmann and Ray Martin are both 73 this year. Remember the failed George Negus programs from a few short years ago?

FYI. It isn’t 1987. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I gave those people as examples to say, if you can get some people with credibility to host your news/current affairs program, you are in with a chance. And remember, George Negus was up against A Current Affair and Today Tonight.

the problem with the weekend is that its a nation bulletin. i couldn’t give a rats arse whats happened in Rouse Hill or South Yarra when i live in brisbane. it’s one reason i don’t watch 10 news on the weekends - and i watch every weekday

1 Like

I reckon you’d have better luck if you poached Karl Stefanovic from Nine :wink: but having said that, I still doubt you can steal viewers from 7 and 9 at 6pm.

2 Likes

I highly doubt we’ll ever see Steve Liebmann or Ray Martin have a permanent presenting role (as opposed to special one-off appearances) on Australian TV again.

6pm/6.30 with George Negus is the perfect example of high brow current affairs not working on commercial TV and especially Ten!

The last time Ten tried a standalone 6pm half hour bulletin (rather than being an extension of the 5pm bulletin), it was up against Roger Climpson and Brian Henderson in the Sydney market. Maybe a half hour news could be a strong point of difference from the hour of news on Seven and Nine, but in any case I don’t think Ten are willing to risk “rocking the boat” again.

3 Likes

Hi Karl, welcome to the forums!

8 Likes

Have it pre-recorded during the day, edit. Have other pre recorded segments ready to air in those situations.

The news updates on the 1/2hr would literally be “lets cross now to the news room/The Project for the news headlines,” the same way the game shows do on Seven/Nine.

Fair enough, but day time audiences are different to evening audiences. I know I would watch Ellen most days if it was on at a time I was home. I also know many people that would watch it over a straight news bulletin… & that’s not even Australian.

Anyway, was just a thought. I think it would work in theory/profit wise over a late night version.

If Ten did go in the direction of a new flagship evening news bulletin then how about Tony Jones as anchor? High profile, ABC level credibility, strong political background and the sort of person who would make the bulletin his own rather than just reading off an autocue.

Half an hour at 6pm, with a slightly slower, more editorial format. Ratings would not be strong to begin with (but that will be true of anything new on Ten these days) but the bulletin would make a statement about the Ten News brand and with somebody like Jones at the helm there is plenty of opportunity to create headlines and social media buzz (ie a few controversial interviews, give Jones free reign to editorialise etc).

Sounds like Negus 2.0

This is veering into fantasy land somewhat so if we could all keep a bit of a grip on reality that’d be great or take it to Mock schedules.

3 Likes

Tony Jones was good 10+ years ago but he’s lost it. He has no future at a commercial network, I think.

Yeah that’s doomed

1 Like

You need to appeal to the heartland, as Seven knows. If Ten refocused and targeted the mums and dads of suburbia, you’re in with a chance. I think a Karl or a Kochie (examples - don’t pin me down on them) or someone who appeals to the heartland - not too light or too serious.

The viewer needs to feel like Ten is a place to watch again - a place to call home again. Use that as your starting point and build a schedule (and 2nd screen community) around it.

Random thought but just remembered back to when they were pushing that whole Zeebox thing - it had life in it but it just didn’t take off without proper integration with other social media outlets

I’d just like to see a strong news department putting out around 3-4 hours of output a day. A strong sports department with major plays at some rights. And strong entertainment output with good drama, a tonight/variety show and some comedy.

Ten have been so cheap the last few years. Go back to 2010-2011 style ten.

10 Likes

It has to be the right kind of news though. In the good old days of Ten News they were going for oldies. Ten News has always been so slow paced and dull (various incarnations of the Late News excepted).

They need to build a news service for the audience - younger, savvy and digitally inclined. The kind of content and pace that Hamish had during his Late News was perfect. It wouldn’t be hard to replicate that across the states with adequate resources.

With Seven and Nine going after the suburbs Ten has a great chance to do something slick and smart. They should start with an intelligent, personality led Breakfast show - think PVO Newsday on Sky - a good local and national evening service - a late news that wraps the day’s news - and a swag of digital first/only content.

2 Likes

Eh? Looking back at their 2000s news presentation, they were always the most adventurous between themselves, Nine and Seven. Nine spent the better part of a decade with cheap greenscreen city backdrops with locked off shots, while Seven News just did very plain, average and inoffensive graphics.

Here’s Ten Sydney in 2006. Theme, presenters and atrium set of the era were (and still are) the best around and there was an authoritative energy to the bulletin.

Nine News and Seven News in comparison played it very safe, although I loved both openers of the era as well.

8 Likes