Network Ten post-CBS

I have just been reading CBS schedule on tvguide.com and from what I can see they have certain shows at certain times for example weekdays 6am til 6:30am morning news, 7am til 9am CBS This Morning, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm The Price Is Right, 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm The Young and the Restless, 1:30 pm – 2:00 pm The Bold and the Beautiful, 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm The Talk, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm Let’s Make a Deal, 6:30pm Evening News and 8pm til 11pm block programming featuring show such as Big Bang Theory and Kevin Can Wait, 11:30pm til 1:30am Late Show/Late Late Show and the rest of the schedule lists local programming in the other times not listed.

Obviously, CBS would not move any shows that are successful in their current timeslots and would probably look at localised editions of shows such as The Price is Right and Lets Make A Deal. Perhaps CBS will change the early evening schedule to place those 2 game shows in the early evening (5pm til 6pm) and maybe place Ten News at 6pm or 6:30pm, followed by The Project with Family Feud either at 6pm or 7pm. The show immediately before Ten News could be replaced by WIN with Local News in those markets where Local News is produced. And depending on the how relations are between CBS and WIN, perhaps CBS could save some money and air WIN All Australian News in the early hours. CBS may also encourage WIN to re-brand it to become TEN.

Again all speculation, IF, Ten becomes CBS owned

3 Likes

Not obvious at all. What works in America doesn’t necessarily work here. Plus, some of the CBS shows you listed are shown here on other channels or other channels have the rights. You can’t just turn Ten into an Australian affiliate of CBS. It would fail. Look at how poorly all the American shows rate in prime time in Australia compared to America.

7 Likes

I think you misread what I wrote, what I was saying is any show that is rating well in its slot such as Bold and The Beautiful, Judge Judy, Dr Phil and Studio 10 would probably remain untouched and ultimately, yes some CBS shows are on Nine etc now, but if TEN becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of CBS, then the likelihood is a duplication of American shows subject to timeslot availability.

ontvtonight.com/guide is also a good resource I find.

It will be interesting to see if CBS treat Ten as a youth station or make it an Aussie CBS clone. I would love to see the later evolve.

1 Like

No you miss the point that it’s a lot more complicated than you suggest. Some of the shows you listed already screen on Foxtel channels and others have repeat rights tied to Seven, Foxtel etc.

The game shows have been tried in Australia before with varied success. Let’s Make A Deal never really worked. The Price is Right had a shocking run last time and the rights may still sit with Seven.

They may try some things that have worked on CBS but trying to duplicate CBS will not work.

2 Likes

How much later?

1 Like

Actually, the last time The Price Is Right was screened, was with Tim Campbell on Channel 9 at 8:30pm at night, so obviously had little chance of success.

At present, yes contractual agreements would come into play, but the contracts have fixed terms and once those contracts expire, then CBS COULD try and secure Australian rights for those shows. What price would the other (Seven, Nine, Foxtel, ABC and SBS) networks consider too high for renewal? Yes, it will be complicated to begin with, BUT who knows what will happen in time. And as for the Foxtel argument, does it have exclusive Australian rights any of the shows on CBS? If not, then some of the shows shown on pay TV only in Australia could emerge/re-emerge on TEN.

At this point, its just speculation, but another possibility is that CBS could try and re-vamp Neighbours, which would result in one of 3 scenarios. 1) it could lead to increased ratings, 2) maintain current ratings and have no impact on anything; or 3) lead to the shows demise, which may seem the most likely scenario - especially since TEN lost faith in it and relegated it to channel 11 in 2011, which, possibly the only things saving it at the moment is overseas sales.

But ultimately, we won’t know what may happen until the result of the creditors meeting tomorrow as to whether TEN becomes CBS owned or whether another option is chosen.

What?

2 Likes

I think you’re confusing your game shows.

The last version of The Price Is Right was with Larry Emdur on Seven at 5pm but it flopped. They may still own the rights. We discovered they had owned them for years to prevent other networks from doing their own versions.

Tim Campell did the last version of Wheel of Fortune on Nine at 5.30pm and it was also a flop. The show he hosted later at night was hosted National Bingo Night on Seven, which was another flop.

3 Likes

Just found out CBS interactive actually has offices in Sydney, so perhaps they’ll manage CBS All Access (like they do in the US), tenplay and possibly even TenDaily (if its ever launched)

Exactly, But what will happen to it’s News Bulletins, What’s Left of it?

Let’s hope we get localised CBS NEWS bulletins (or more ten NEWS if the ten name persists).

Let’s just hope CBS wins out first and foremost.

10 Likes

If they don’t Ten are screwed.
The TV industry as a whole will suffer if they lose.

9 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly… aside from a small minority of idiots there’s no benefit whatsoever in Murdoch and Gordon owning ten.

1 Like

Yep. Whoever thinks a Murdoch/Gordon ownership is good is a fool. Have they not seen the past decade of Ten?
Imagine if this was Nine and Bruce was after it!! Yikes.

4 Likes

I’d like to know who on staff at ten is voting against the cbs bid?

And it’s relatively unanimous on the comments here that CBS bid is preferred. Only 1 or 2 members think Murdoch and Gordon are good.

The level of vitriol against Murdoch and Gordon on fairfax and guardian sites is fantastic to see!

6 Likes

That sounds very scientific. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The last Price Is Right was hosted by Larry Emdur from May to November 2012 on 7. Ten could air FF and TPIR back to back.

Because Family Feud brings in such huge ratings, they should certainly put another game show on after it. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes