Network Ten post-CBS

I think a straight news at that time would work better than a fluff show.

The subject has been addressed here hundreds of times. We’ve been told that thete are no plans to expand news services at breakfast, let alone early morning, so you are wasting your breath or keystrokes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve always liked Anjali Rao.

The News with Anna Kooiman and Anjali Rao :anguished:

Don’t you like Aussie accents?

Well, my suggestion is not for a “fluff” show at all, and it is closer to “straight news” than you might imagine.

However, any suggestion that revolves around a very straight newscast with typical medium-close-ups and regurgitation of last night (just like Seven at 5am) is, in my humble opinion, going to sink in the ratings. A Ten morning news, in my opinion, should have some flair.

By the way, where did you read that there are, quote, no plans for any more news?

It’s got nothing to do with that. Ten need to embody “different” in a lot of things that they do, and my suggestions are just one example of that.

By the way, Australians have embraced a lot of foreign accents on their TV for many years. There is no rule that an American host won’t work - especially on a network that should be bold and stand out.

JBar is heavily offended if the news isn’t presented out of an outdoor bog with someone drinking a tinny of VB with a cork fly hat on.

6 Likes

When people kept hounding the producer of Studio 10 for a breakfast edition of Studio 10, he said that there was no use pleading or suggesting because management had no intention to expand into more news or current affairs programs.

Yet another failed attempt at humour from @TVHead. :joy:

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t understand the calls for a breakfast “Studio 10”. OK, call it that if you want, but the 5-9am time slot needs a very different line up in style and substance than what you see on his show.

1 Like

The point is that thete were no plans to extend news services. If CBS management change the direction of the network there could be a rethink of that position.

However, I can’t see them pumping money into every area immediately, with a hope of attracting an audience. If changes are made they will be strategic moves which are well planned and implemented over time.

Fine, but breakfast is a key timeslot leading into a key program (that builds their entire average daytime rating). And the sort of show I’m suggesting would be way, way cheaper than Sunrise and Today (and Breakfast and Wake Up).

That argument has been used many times begore but you can’t keep pumping money into underperforming shows. If it pays for itself, it can survive but previous breakfast shows did not and were axed.

Exactly. Which is why I told Adam Boland before Wake Up went to air to broadcast from Pyrmont not Manly and not to do that Melbourne local news idea with Nuala

1 Like

Ten This Morning would be good working title for a breakfast show followed by Studio 10 afterwards.

1 Like

Which is one of the worst titles for a breakfast show ever.

2 Likes

Will Ten pick up any additional/new US programming with Cbs owning Ten?

Well, Ten has a contract with CBS and that contract would continue unless the conditions were renegotiated when CBS agreed to licence fee cut.

That contract shouldn’t be affected by CBS now owning Ten but it would be easier to renegotiate it in future in Teen’s favour.

I get what you’re saying about using sport to increase exposure to the lineup and all that I just don’t agree with that sentiment anymore. I certainly believe that was the case ten years ago and prior but If people want to find out about a programme there are so many options nowadays that didn’t exist before.

I keep hearing about massive sporting events bringing in big rating but most sporting matches rate pitifully especially when you factor in how much they cost to begin with. Take the NRL on 26th August, 362,000 viewers and not in the top five demo. That’s terrible exposure for being considered ‘tentpole’ programming.

Do you have a source for this, or is it just made up? Considering 1 in 7 Australians don’t even watch commercial tv paying such exorbitant amounts on sports rights to garner a launch pad for the lineup is terrible business. Advertising on Radio is still huge, internet advertising, online tv guides, dvr tv guides are just some of the ways in which to find out about upcoming programming. Gone are the days of relying on ads in between programmes which are mostly skipped these days anyway…

I agree it always helps if the programmes being advertised are actually worth watching but the initial sampling sizes on some of the shows were poor which says the launch pads and promos failed.

Again you’re posting like it’s 1999 and watching live and one programme at once is the only option. Clashes between programmes haven’t been an issue for at least a decade. DVR, on demand has put away with being forced to choose which programme to watch.

All networks are starting new shows after the tennis because it is officially the ratings year and they are all eager to start their lineup so I’m not sure what you’re meaning about 7 having an advantage. Even with the tennis 800 words was down on its previous season and couldn’t match it’s premier episode numbers. Considering I keep hearing what a bonus all this high rating sport brings for a show to not even match it’s season premier numbers after endless promos through months doesn’t paint a very good picture. Hoges did even worse. It was such a poor sampling size considering it was advertised ad-naseum through the tennis and MKR was down signficiantly.

Putting Rugby Union up against AFL and NRL finals was always going to be ratings suicide, they should have went with a female-skewing or kids movie. How long until they can get out of the ARU contract?

when the broadcast deal ends more likely. Gee its only what 2 games of the year, when this happens. CBS want to expand on Ten’s sport portfolio, rather than cut sports from their portfolio