Network Ten post-CBS

My head hurts with the rampant speculation. Right now, it’s not 100% open and closed that CBS will own ten. Sure there is a very very good chance they will but I don’t think anyone should be jumping the gun until 100% confirmed

1 Like

and also who knows if they have any one from cbs even on here ??? all of your ideas might be for nothing

Hope they don’t bring this bullshit here:

1 Like

Yes it may need a big rethink. Long form tv is either background tv or something we check into for 30mins. It is very different to TV we sit down to watch.

For better or worse, The Project at least tries to be different to 7/9 news.

I can see the appeal of trying to … beat 7/9 at their own game (6pm serious news), but they’d lose what they’ve built with The Project. It IS a point of difference.

Most people seem to see a channel’s news offering as a defining statement about it being a major channel. It’s part of the reason I could see a 6pm serious CBS1 News (against 7/9) while in parallel having The Project on TEN10. Same pool of articles with different presenters and style, and different audiences - 2 major channels.

On another note the US has a single 30min national news from CBS straight after an affiliate 30min local news. It’s not something we do here - we have a localised national news in each capital, with regional affiliates sometimes adding their own news. That setup could be rethought.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mock Schedules

This thread is probably better suited for broader discussion of programming, content delivery (such as online, multi-channels) or management strategy in a post-CBS environment for Ten.

There is a Mock Schedules thread here: Mock Schedules

7 Likes

One wonders how drastic any changes will be in the schedule. CBS breaks up its day into sections as an example 10am til 4pm is called CBS Daytime, which airs a mix of local programming couple together with Lets Make A Deal, The Price Is Right, Young And The Restless, Bold And The Beautiful and The Talk.

One would hope they would consider what is working for Ten at the moment

How do I block people’s posts on here? Asking for a friend.

6 Likes

I’ve said it before but I’d really like them to poach Y&R rights from Foxtel and put along B&B and Neighbours in a arvo lineup of soaps.

that is possible, but then they would need to move Judge Judy to another time or station

You guys keep suggesting these options which are under contract to other networks and would be either expensive for Ten or a loss to CBS. I’m not saying it could never happen but I just can’t see CBS throwing heaps of money at every part of the schedule in the hope it might boost Ten.

Don’t Ten already have a winning daytime schedule anyway? What would be the point?

2 Likes

everything is really depending on rights and restrictions in regards to existing contracts.

If it was an option in any form, perhaps Y&R could air on say a 2 year delay, but then who wants to watch 2 year old episodes. It all depends on what a CBS-owned Ten wants to do and can do under existing contractual agreements.

It could from a CBS perspective, be a good marketing strategy to get the best price for their programming from the likes of Foxtel, given they “could” have another Australian buyer. Also I believe they may be willing to forgo some revenue from external sources, given the Australian Content requirements for FTA stations

Well I believe the Y&R contract with Foxtel was signed quite a while ago, I’m only suggesting it obviously under the scenario where the contact would have expired for them to sign it on with Ten. But yes we are all aware of contacts to other networks :slight_smile:

Also… something to think about - Foxtel is a competitor to CBS, they will be looking at CBS All access, why would they have their content on a rival streaming service? They’d want it on their vested interests for people to consume.

2 Likes

I would expect daytime to be a lower priority and as you say it seems to be going quite well as it is and there is no point in risking throwing out what is already working.

I think people are severely overestimating what changes are going to take place. I can’t see anything happening to daytimes or anything pre 7.30pm. I suspect there will be some realignment of programming on Channels One and Eleven but increased investment in news and prime time I would assume are the main priorities and maybe weekends to some extent.

5 Likes

I’m thinking the same thing.

If they can fix prime time and can get more revenue into Ten, they can start looking at other parts of the day.

4 Likes

I would like to say that I agree, but we have in the past seen radical attempts by different buyers to “change” Channel Ten, I am sure we all remember when they called themselves 10 TV Australia and the attempts to revamp the network. I think a lot of these suggestions stem from that and what they see as working in the US.

The main things I would like to see is some sort of News/Breakfast show, which for the time being I would personally limit to 1 hour, from say 7am, then move Studio 10 to 8am and insert a late morning news at 11am (possibly for 1 hour). Keep the rest as is, maybe trial a early evening news at 6pm over Summer, to supplement First At Five and The Project (moreso when the Big Bash and The Project disappears for a few weeks).

Ultimately, I dont think much will happen before the middle of next year, as they will be reviewing their options and strategy and perhaps look at where they can make more money. Perhaps they might look at airing 1 hour of infomercials every day as part of the daytime line up on Eleven and reducing overnight Infomercials on Ten by 7 hours a week - possibly cutting it an hour earlier during the week (eg Monday to Friday early AM) and maybe reduce by 1 hour late at night on Friday and Saturday nights (early Saturday and Sunday morning). Please note this is something that is mere speculation and I accept some may dismiss it, but my view is if they can get a few extra $$ for a daytime screening, the advertisers may take that option. But then is CBS/Ten willing to sacrifice an hour of daytime TV to do that - its all comes down to which will give the best ROI for Network Ten

And how did that turn out? They tried to run Ten like an American network with a swag of new programs introduced, all at once and failed spectacularly.

If change happens, it should be gradual and well thought out in collaboration with Australian management, who know the landscape and culture.

4 Likes

I am not disagreeing with you, I am just suggesting that if it is said “people are severely overestimating what changes are going to take place”, some could disagree, given that the recruitment of Lisa Wilkinson and possible Dave Hughes are things that 12 or 18 months ago, Channel Ten could have only dreamt of… I would have said wishful thinking, adding and “who will they get to read the news, Iain Hewitson” - in other words, I would of said, won’t happen in a million years - BUT it has.

I would like to suggest that only small, gradual changes will occur, but those that speculate massive change could be looking back at the major changes they tried in 1989 - and as you rightly said, failed in spectacular manner - shows like The Price Is Right with Ian Turpie and The Great TV Game Show with Richard Stubbs on a Saturday night was never going to work - only lasting 12 episodes each.

US laws may allow that sort of fraudulent advertising but the ACCC won’t here as it’s against the Australian Consumer Law (& has been against the Trade Practices Act for a very long time).

@jcb301176 I can’t with your posts.

Ten will be focused on the programming that actually moves the dial - that is stuff like Masterchef, Bachelor, Bachelorette, Gogglebox etc - programming in primetime that actually manages to get Ten over the line and win the nights.

All this obsession with daytime cooking shows, Judge Judy, half hour editions of The Project at 5pm and American soaps… Ten already wins daytime.

The focus (should be)

1. 7.30 - 10.30 (Ten has success in this area and can build on it)
  2. Marketing & Promotion (Ten is useless in this area and CBS is brilliant)
  3. 6pm - 7pm (Ten is weak here, but it’s a huge task to get people away from 7 & 9)
  4. Breakfast (difficult, but huge money to be made here)
8 Likes