Network Ten post-CBS

Make that 31 thanks to matlock - oops I just made it 32.

Why not run the CBS Morning Programme out of New York on time delay with local news over Christmas/New Year just to test the market or has someone already suggested it or is just a dumb idea!!

Who would want to watch that?

I also don’t believe Ten need to poach to succeed at 6pm or late night news. Ultimately, it’s not about the anchors. For example, they can do just as well with Steven Quartermain staying in the same chair after his 5pm News.

1 Like

No but they play a pretty significant role in the image and marketing of the bulletin which is the most important thing when coming from such a weak position.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ten Network Holdings

Big-money anchors are not that important for Ten. In Perth, for example, Ten do just fine with Narelda - in fact, #2 in news.

3 Likes

Perth has a nice little News Team, Narelda Jacobs presenting most of the time, Tim Gossage for Sport and Michael Schultz for Weather. Narelda is highly respective News Journalist and Presenter in Perth, and a good asset to the Ten News Brand. That is probably why she presented the National News over the Christmas break from Sydney.

2 Likes

Foreign Investment Review Board approves CBS purchase of Network Ten

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv/foreign-investment-review-board-approves-cbs-purchase-of-network-ten-20171020-gz5c0g#ixzz4w1y5gZqP
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Only the transfer of shares to be approved with the Supreme Court Case on October 31st.

17 Likes

I enjoy it. But maybe we need an “Educated guesses on CBS-Ten” thread.

I had exactly 100 unread yesterday, thought the same lol…

The final 4. An interesting concept and a chance for 10 to launch a new franchise after Easter. But who should judge? Jimmy Barnes maybe

It was Lisa Wilkinson’s hiring that set off the speculation. It signalled they were actually investing in News/current affairs area.

Isn’t that basically just the ‘chair challenge’ round from X Factor?

Ultimately, and unfortunately, unless someone from CBS or Channel 10 with the authority to present ideas is reading any of our suggestions, none will happen. One thing is certain, that assuming that Bruce Gordon is going to remain with Ten Network programming, he will be hoping and possibly pushing for a half hour window Monday To Friday in prime time to air Win News in those markets he presents it for. I cannot see him wanting to air it at say 4pm or 4:30pm and provide an encore or One or 11 at somewhere between 6pm and 7:30pm, though if he can convince advertisers to invest in the secondary channels news broadcast, it could be an option, albeit not a likely scenario.

1 Like

Like I said, it’ll be interesting to see if CBS views Ten as a big old-style network - with lots of news and current affairs - or as a youth channel with minimal news like its UK affiliate Channel 5.

2 Likes

The question is… can Austrlaia support 3 mainstream commercial networks.?

That is if win is still the affiliate. Which I wouldn’t be surprised once cbs takes over they will tell Bruce to go or even buy out win to be the main station. Bruce has damaged his affiliation with ten but this isn’t the first time this has happened

Potentially it can, provided that the government tightens advertising allowed for either SBS or Foxtel. I think thats where part of the problem lies, too many fingers in the advertising pie

Surely there is … if ten can increase its advertising share to about 30% and 35% each for seven and nine there’s room for three main commercial channels.

Ten just need to take a bit of share from seven and nine and it’s sustainable. Currently ten is at about 20-22% commercial share so it would need to increase a fair bit at the expense of those others.

2 Likes