Network Ten post-CBS

Those openers from ten back in the day were great. If news can return to that sort of quality under CBS will be good for the media and journalism in this country.

7 Likes

I am now looking forward to the up coming cricket rights! This is going to be interesting!

Yes ten can bid high on this…
Free on ten and streamed on cbs all access for a fee. Or something like that. Give mine a run for its money on the rights.

1 Like

No need to have an Australian version of GMA. We have Studio10 and it’s ratings keep improving. Since the shift to 830-12noon, the 11-12noon hour’s ratings have jumped 36%. The show is growing on its own. Best they leave it alone. It works.

5 Likes

Think it’s now much more likely that Ten will retain the Big Bash rights in full. The rights auction will likely be one of the first ‘big’ matters that CBS will have to deal with and they’ll likely be willing to invest big to ensure Ten holds onto a property which is so important for them in setting up their year

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mock Schedules

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mock Schedules

I think the first noticeable (and simple) change will be the appearance of CBS Studio’s dramas “fast -tracked” to TEN. So no waiting until 2018 for NCIS, Madam Secretary, Bull etc. Ten programmers should be able to do this because they will feel more confident of having enough program supply to fill next year’s schedule and won’t have to hold back these shows. Until Ten develop new programming, these dramas will have to again fill 8:45-9:00 pm post reality timeslots but at least they also won’t be 6 months old.

2 Likes

Feel free to post and discuss your vision for Ten’s schedule post CBS takeover in the Mock Schedules thread. Any mocks or other unnecessary/irrelevant tidbits posted in this thread will be moved or removed. Thanks.

3 Likes

In terms of US content I can’t see where there would be any significant increase of CBS content on TEN. It currently shows most of CBS’s “hits”. TEN’s schedule will be either business as usual with increased news/sport, or a total overall.

The interesting thing to watch, for me, is how CBS All Access is developed and integrated.

I agree but I can’t see that working well at all. There’s a reason they flopped the first time. I also wonder about all the breaks in the shows seasons.

I think CBS will have to hit the ground running pretty fast if they actually want to see results.

maybe some of the multiple repeats of the same episode my disappear from one and 11 and perhaps bring some more variety throughout the day. Also maybe the encores on TEN could move to one of these stations to give TEN more variety and perhaps boost rating on the multi-channels

1 Like

Yes, the future is with on demand, and also integrated into virtual channels for people to watch. So they can keep having the lazy couch surfing experience, but stumble onto shows they’re more likely to watch.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

At least a show can appear at precisely the same time on All Access.

But yes the US way of stopping shows is terrible, depending on whether the month has ratings taken or not. So they do 4 new episodes, then 4 repeats, then 8 new episodes, 4 repeats, 4 new episodes, 8 repeats, last 4 episodes. Etc.

It’s totally unsuitable for a developing storyline, but fine for a “story of the week”. I imagine NCIS or Hawaii 5-0 is able to be split up like that… it’s not a Game of Thrones style developing story.

I watched Babylon 5 like that when I lived there. Using the same example as the above paragraph… they positioned it well so you had some continuity… by watching episodes 1-4, then 1-12, then 9-16, then 9-20. But even then it was hard to follow if someone didn’t know the episodes were jumping around.

It’d confuse people here. Perhaps they can offer it in All Access, but fast track onto the broadcast channel to make longer straight stretches.

Our Multi-channels don’t seem to be very effective. Certainly scope to rethink them considerably.

2 Likes

They could even try a time shift channel where normal programs air say 2 or 3 hours behind the main channel. As an example Ten Eyewitness News on the main channel at 5pm could air at 7pm on the time shift channel. Ultimately, live sport could be delayed when its say Rugby Union and shorter telecasts, but motor sport such as Bathurst 1000 could still be live throughout Australia and have alternate programs after to get the schedule back on track.

3 Likes

I’m surprised this hasn’t already been attempted (by any network here). If I understand the ratings system correctly both broadcasts would be reported as a single figure (like roadblocking across channels) so a +2 channel might help increase headline figures slightly.

+2 broadcasts are reported separately.

1 Like

I hope it never happens here. Being able to record multiple channels on PVRs and with the catchup services I don’t think there is any point. Nine did actually have a time-shift channel in Extra 2, which was obviously a raging success! :smiley:

6 Likes

Has CBS brought out any other television network around the world? If so, what happened to them brand wise?

1 Like

They did a joint cable program with Chellomedia in the UK (owned by AMC), who had 4 channels that were then branded with the name CBS.
Originally Zone Romantica, Zone Thriller, Zone Horror and Zone Reality (+ timeshifts).
Renamed CBS Drama, CBS Action, Horror (without CBS naming), and CBS Reality.

Zone had some channels in Europe also renamed.

These are extra channels in the UK, I believe they piggy back as multichannels in some areas (and on Sky).

2 Likes

And they have two pay tv channels in Asia which they co-own with RTL.
RTL CBS Entertainment
RTL CBS Extreme

2 Likes