Network Ten post-CBS

Don’t hold your breath for local weekend news.

1 Like

But just a shitload of cable news channels…

1 Like

Not sure where you’re getting your info from, but CBS’ O&O stations in the U.S. are primarily on channels 2 (4 stations) and 4 (4 stations), with 3, 5, 7, 11, 12, 13 and 62 also used.

There would be no reason for CBS to shift to another channel number unless it wanted to ditch the Ten brand completely and start from scratch (unlikely at the moment). If so, it would only be able to use 1xx or 4xx.

1 Like

I think that was “number 1” refering to the ratings of CBS, not their channel.

But anyway, you’re on top with Ten.

1 Like

It’s going to be a massive culture shock for any American executive that comes over to guide management of Ten. They can’t possibly use the CBS template to replicate success here given the fluid program starting times that have become common and the tendency for the competition to shift programming on a whim. It would be an interesting experiment, and a relief for viewers, for them to set programming in stone months in advance but they’d hardly be competing on a level playing field if they did that.

12 Likes

I think news 5:00-6:00 and The Project 6:30-7:30 is a good lineup in terms of news. It gets their main bulletin it’s own timeslot, and means that their primetime show start at the same time as their competitors to put those shows on equal footing in regards to start time.
I think the 6:00-6:30 slot is what needs a change. Not so much because Family Feud is bad, but News->FF->Project isn’t really a cohesive lineup. People are unlikely to continue watching through all 3 shows, which means they’re switching off. Maybe keep FF on One or Eleven for people who really want a game show, but 6:00-6:30 should also be news. People are more likely to contintue watching from the main bulletin, just as it will create a lead up for The Project. It could be staffed entirely by the same staff from the main bulletin, and largely repeat the same stories - but obviously curated down to the most relevant 30mins. It could also be a good place to do something different like an extended report from time to time, creating somewhat of a middle ground between a standard news bulletin and The Project.

Pros of this approach include:
-Viewers from 5:00 will continue watching news on Ten into the 6:00 hour.
-Project views can catch all the news at 6:00 before the project - so they don’t start watching Seven or Nine and then forget about the Project.
-If it fails, nothing is lost, since all the news is still being made for and watched at 5:00 (which in turn sets the required ratings lower and gives it more chance to succeed).

The Morning Project!! Something I have wanted to see happen at 10 for sooooo long. It has so much potential and DOES offer a point of difference.

Oh if only I was in the industry to pitch it.

5 Likes

Yes, agreed. There are so many differences between the US and Australian TV markets.

For one, the market here is smaller, but costs are not an order of magnitude smaller. Another is that US TV networks are originators of content, whereas locally TV networks need a mix of imported and locally made product.

I think it would be The Breakfast Project and as long as it includes some animal* throwing cash in the air, it might stand a chance. Theme song - Don’t You from Simple Minds (from The Breakfast Club).

*The Project Platypus or perhaps The Project Prawn?

Just don’t touch Studio10… @blackbox does a mighty fine job and my bet is that the show will take over Seven and Nine’s offerings within 18 months.

2 Likes

Speaking strictly from a business POV, when CBS move in they’re going to want to beef up the News output. I’d expect:

• Luring over a few big names,
  • Additional bulletins throughout the day,
  • Some sort of strategy to draw viewers away from 7 & 9 News,
  • Localised weekend bulletins
  • A bigger presence online,
  • New sets/graphics,
  • Limitless resources,

CBS knows news - they won’t stuff this up.

*Of course these are just my opinions :wink:

10 Likes

Uhh, their news - local and national - trails in the ratings in almost all their markets.

The Project Porpoise?

They already tried all this during the news revolution. It will be another lost cause if CBS tries to compete head-on with Seven/Nine News.

The best way for CBS to compete at 6pm-7pm is alternative programming/demos. Lets not forget Neighbours can now return to the main channel.

3 Likes

I was thinking they could do an Evening News style national bulletin for half an hour at 6pm, providing something different to what Seven/Nine offer while still replicating broadly the same primetime structure (it works for Seven/Nine so why not for Ten as well?).

Keep local news at 5pm and then do a more editorial, slower paced bulletin at 6pm. News programming in this country has become incredibly dull and predictable, it would be good to see a player with the sort of experience/resources of CBS attempt something new to try and cut through.

The figures would no doubt be terrible to begin with (though certainly no worse than Family Feud) but if they can build to a reasonable position at 6pm then there will be huge benefits that flow through the entire evening schedule.

As for breakfast, I can’t see it being their first priority. Studio 10 is happily chugging along and should be left to do so. Maybe add a news bulletin at either end and hourly updates throughout just to start reestablishing a news presence during the day.

6 Likes

If anything 11 needs to be restructured and Neighbours needs to return to the main channel. It’s never going to and clearly hasn’t got anywhere on 11.

1 Like

I don’t expect any branding to change. CBS would need to do a lot of research to see how the Australian TV Market operates, as the US and Australian tv markets are very different (and I watch US TV alot becuse Australian TV is well …@@@).

The Ten brand should stay. It’s recognisable and even though it has been associated with many misjoints over the years including recently. Getting rid of the Ten brand and rebranding it as CBS would be a huge miscaluclation. I don’t want CBS to jump in straight away and make any massive changes, they need to see what is going on at the network and what is working and what isn’t working.

I do agree the news service should be a priority, but also i do think with CBS we will get access to more US content , across Ten, Eleven and One. Although I think One and Eleven should just merge eventually later on.

But we have to see what they want to do and all we have to do is wait.

I thanked the lord for allowing this to happen! No takeover from Murdoch and Gordon, thank god! Thanks Jesus :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Isn’t the Channel 5 model a more likely outcome for Ten?

Just chiming in with my two cents worth.

I’m hoping to see a full rebrand across the board with Ten and the multi channels to CBS channels.

Everyone knows CBS purchased Ten, many people already don’t have that great of an opinion of Ten. Start afresh with a new name, CBS.

2 Likes

it would be good if cbs too over win 2 lol