Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

What is it with these LPON’s they don’t last long!! My 88 was on air less then 18 months.

I would have preferred someone like Starter or Raw on 88.0. I guess the people who run faith fm have a lot of money (Seventh Day Dentist) and can afford to buy up these LPONS and continue running them when everyone else is consolidating or exiting.

4 Likes

It burns me so much that these LPONs cost so much to buy (CBD or Inner Suburbs), to the point that the only people left who can afford them is these big religious groups that don’t care about them, it’s just another notch they can tick off in there ever expanding empire.

LPONs should have a price limit that they can be sold at and each owner should be limited to how may one can hold.

6 Likes

What would Penrith / Kurrajong Heights LPON’s go for at present?

I can see why they are sort after considering the fortuitous reception from both sites.

Why are existing operators such as Raw selling off all their LPON’s to operators such as The Seventh Day Adventist, not enough revenue to cover the cost of maintaining their transmitters etc?

2 Likes

I believe they sold for around 100k approx how ever don’t quote me.

A lot of these operators are now getting older and looking to sell and get a nice nest egg for themselves, and the only people able to afford there prices they wish to charge are these religious groups (or SEN).

2 Likes

oh yes the first thing I want to scan into with a new radio is some peddler of mass delusion telling me I’m going to hell :rofl:. Something needs to be done about these god bothers gathering up all the frequencies near 88

6 Likes

That’s a shame. I really enjoyed the 80’s music on 88.0 in Penrith - lots of unflogged songs and stuff not played by other stations

2 Likes

Last time I looked at the ANRA classifieds a wile ago, one license holder wanted a million dollars (which I think may have included a shed and some equipment) for the 1386 AM HPON position, and $350,000 was wanted for the LPONs around the Penrith Valley area. :frowning:

2 Likes

These prices are crazy , $1 million for 1386. I cannot see many takers. Maybe $1 million for the land if you can demolish the mast and whack a few houses on it a different story.

1476 / 1386 has been off air for years wouldn’t the licensee of the service forfeited their HPON as it is use it or loose it?

As I understand, these frequencies are currently unallocated.

I was under the impression that ARN were hoarding one of these frequencies (old 2KA license), but someone else on here corrected me and noted that ARN handed the license back to ACMA who then reallotted it as a HPON for the Homebush area.

I would surmise that they are no takers, because of the initial outlay someone would have to make to purchase or lease any land in that part of Sydney, as an AM transmitter already requires a large fingerprint in such an area. With the population density to what it is, land would now be a rather finite resource around those particular suburbs. Then the limited to zero return anyone would get from operating such a license that is heavily restricted. With no ability to advertise for recovering invested capitol makes it a non-brainer to even think about buying in at such a high price.

So I would also surmise the 1386 million dollar HPON on ANRA would have also included land. The price wasn’t mentioned on ANRA, however someone who was in communication with the licensee told me that this was the asking price, but didn’t exactly go into full detail of what was included. So in the end, it be interesting to see if Faith FM buys this out as well. The gods must make money grow on trees.

3 Likes

Faith Fm / Seventh Day Adventists would probably be the only ones that could make a Am HPON work.

If you go to their website the Happy Clappers want your money, there are options to make donation or become a $1 a day partner as they call it.

So what ever donations they get and other income the church makes is allowing them to buy up all these LPON’s.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the government along with commercial radio have created this suitation by restricting the number of frequencies that can be allocated.

ACMA state that the FM band is full in all cap cities however there are many vacant channels that could be allocated for new HPONs, community or commercial service. Take Western Sydney for instance, you could have low power (10 watts) services on the following frequencies with little or nil impact on other services 89.5, 90.7, 91.1, 91.5, 92.5, 93.3, 94.1, 102.1, 103.7, 105.3, 106.1, 106.9, 108.0.

3 Likes

I don’t think 102.1 and 106.1 would work Newcastle way to strong into Sydney to make this frequencies work.

89.5 should be used in Sydney for TCL’s much better then 107.9 with the CCI to and from Move fm.

2 Likes

Now the 1341 Frequency in Geelong is Unallocated.

With My88 shortly becoming Faith fm, 87.8 2KA is now on air, and broadcasting in stereo.
They seem to have picked up where My 88 have left off playing mainly 80’s music.
The signal was quite good on the car radio while driving around The Ponds
Does anyone know the transmission sites of 2KA?

Also of interest there was a pirate on 87.5 coming in quite strong around Stanhope Gardens shopping centre. It was lost as you drove away from the shopping centre.

5 Likes

Maybe a car transmission?
I’ve been playing with one of those Cinema FM transmitters that the drive ins use on 89.5 (Since it’s free) around Glenhaven at a friends place, testing the power of the thing. I’m curious to see if you have low power transmitter (Within ACMA guidelines) but big transmitter antennas how much power can you get out.

3 Likes

According to this News story in the local paper (near the bottom of the story): “This relationship with council will allow 2KA to set up low power transmitters in a number of locations including Wentworth Falls, Lawson, Winmalee, Mount Riverview, Mount Wilson and Bell. Therefore, enabling our signal to be heard loud and clear across the Blue Mountains on FM 87.8 and 87.6.”
https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/story/7635222/new-tourism-radio-service-to-hit-airwaves/?fbclid=IwAR3mVWoZVrN1NNBwsKm7jC1mviBQvAfk3JsM6GL6OD10MJaXXLROviQpFBk

4 Likes

If that is the case I would most likely be receiving it from Mt Riverview.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I cannot drive down to My local Stanhope Gardens shops for at least a week, I have come down with Covid-19, feeling pretty ordinary!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for that posting @Ant5476
I can just hear it under Radio Austral with SDR#'s FM CoChannel Canceller;
“The Blue Mountains 87 point 8 - 2KA” :slight_smile:

I think there used to be FM LPON transmission infrastructure at Mount Riverview. I’ve no idea as to the other licence locations.

Take care with yourself with COVID. Even after you you think you’ve recovered, with in a small % of people, people go back to usual activities & low energy & some other symptoms can return. So take it easier for a couple of weeks post COVID, all depends on one’s immune system I guess.

3 Likes

That sucks, hope you get better soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes