Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

Oops, yes I meant 91.5

Yes or grossly under-estimated their audience.
I wonder what price the licence & equipment (or all up price it all went for) with sale?

1 Like

Tamworth is another city that has stations all over the place: at least one service on each of the four channel groups. Actually that’s one better than Toowoomba.

2 Likes

I sort of had a wild guess that SCA would get rid of their extra licences which is why I bought 93.7 whilst I could.
Comparing a 1kw vs a 20w service at a poorer site is a little unfair, however SCA should’ve put more thought into it… that’s if they care for their country listeners.

3 Likes

Recently noted that the LPON licence for 87.6 Chatswood, NSW (Sydney) is carrying RAW FM (their licence). No mention of it on their website. Their Facebook page doesn’t look to have been updated since August 2020. I wonder how long the service has been carried on this transmitter?

I noted whilst listening that the owner is advertising the sale of many of his unused LPON licences or seeking expressions of interest of people wanting a RAW FM service (on I presume one of his unused licences).

2 Likes

Raw have had 87.6 Brookvale for years; not sure if activated. Is Chatswood way overpowered like most of the other Raw FM outlets?

1 Like

They’ve been trying to flog those since October 2018.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/2sm-1269-sydney/126/179?u=motosenokia

2 Likes

No I’d say they’re within spec. I don’t think the signal travels far. I can’t recall anybody reporting this signal either.

Took my new pocket multiband radio to the A-League at EAS…picked up ref’s audio on 56.3mhz and Fox commentary on 187.5mhz (give or take). Very directional and prone to interference. Didn’t like the 8 teenage punks sitting in front of me…

3 Likes

2CR China Radio Network now on air on 91.6MHz until March 9th from Sydney Tower (mono).

4 Likes

How does this work? Does 2CR climb up there and put the equipment there? Or there is equipment there already, it is just matter of flicking a switch? Also isn’t it too close to 92.1 FM?

1 Like

I was back up at Kurrajong Heights today, I noticed on the car radio around Grass Carts that My 88 was much stronger then the last time I was there. The previous time it was intermodulation interference from 87.6 The River. I wonder if My 88 have cv switched on their Kurrajong Heights transmitter? The signal was seekable on the car radio but nowhere as strong as the River.

No sign of 87.8 Noise fm, I think I was receiving Vintage fm on that frequency.

Any update on Starter fm??? @TheChase

1 Like

The FM antenna will be up the tower & stay there, the transmitter will only be tiny, (probably no bigger than a VCR (if you’re old enough to remember), so it may stay up the tower too, depending on the site/rack space lease agreement, but they could easily just take a Transmitter up there & plug it in when needed, & only lease space in the rack while it’s being used?

2CR could be leasing rack space or even have the TX managed by someone else, Vertel has a lot of equipment up the tower & manage a lot of services located there.

4 Likes

I am probably older than you I am mid 70s vintage. :slight_smile: Thanks for your incite as usual! Is 91.6 FM too close to 92.1? I wonder if they should have used 107.9 FM…

1 Like

91.6 is 500kHz away from 92.1 so technically not the normal standard 800kHz spacing, but yes it’s far enough away.

If you look at all the sub-metro stations around Sydney, while they are theoretically distant enough to not interfere with each other, they’re only spaced 200 or 400kHz apart.

1 Like

3ABN in Casey and Duffy ACT are broadcasting again. The outages were caused by failed satellite receivers.

2 Likes

I’ll try to remember to check tomorrow.

2 Likes

I checked this afternoon and Duffy FM 88.0 is back on as you stated. The quality however is very poor - it’s somewhat muffled. The adequate range of the signal is probably about 1km, after that it gets distorted, but it’s a bit clearer on 87.9 and 88.1. By about 2.5km there is no reception.

1 Like

Noticed 87.8 Canberra Visitor Radio is off air.

1 Like

Is UCfm receivable with CVR off air???

UCFM is always receivable in Belconnen and Gungahlin. Tried it at Yarralumla and it was just static; my car radio desenses around there though due to Black Mountain.

I can sometimes hear a weak UCFM here in Bungendore but never CVR. Raw FM blasts in.

Checking 88.0 just now, I note the open carrier that has been on for at least a year has now vanished. Something at threshold audio- might be from Canberra or even Goulburn.

2 Likes