Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

I knew about KIX, didn’t realise it went to ARN.

1 Like

One would think that AM would limit the appeal of most music formats to the point they woild be limited appeal by virtue of the medium, but i bet ACMA would have other ideas.

1 Like

replace ACMA with CRA and you have the answer.

2 Likes

There is no easy solution for 3GL or any station aiming to fill this gap but oldies music can be viable if the countless internet stations with the format were using a 2023 presentation instead of 1993 Good Times, Great Oldies formatics.

Old people in 2023 don’t want to be reminded that they are elderly and young people don’t want to be reminded that they are not part of the club that remembers 1968.

So, less dates and arcane and obscure (“retro geek”) music/this day in popular culture history trivia and more emphasis on constant forward momentum and getting the listeners excited and feeling anticipation.

And lots and lots of personality in all dayparts and not just AM drive. You cannot beat Spotify with a combination of a jukebox and a pokies machine.

2 Likes

Exactly! Older music isn’t just for old people especially as some are dying out from that era. It should be promoted as the Greatest Music of All Time and not lean on oldies themes.

2 Likes

It appears that Pulse FM Hobart has made a New Year change.
They’re now calling themselves: “Slam!”

I was trying to comprehend why last night their RDS PS was “…!”
Now revealed this morning with the new on-air ID & RDS PS of: “slam!”
(with a leading space character)
Probably there were too many stations around the country with “Pulse”
in their title… :+1:

slam! Now another damn! logo to update in our RDS List…

5 Likes

Haha they are using the ReelWorld SLAM! package as well.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for that.
There’s also a network of stations over in NZ that belong to Brian FM calling itself “ReelWorld Radio”

1 Like

More so that the Pulse brand has well & truly outgrown the (legacy) radio, with Pulse now such a strong digital news brand across Tasmania. It was time to separate the two.

The Pulse name is staying, just not for radio :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks Josh and good hearing from you again. :+1:

I have updated for you & all the RDS List with your new slam! logo for the three known RDS FM transmitters. If there are any other changes/additions etc for the RDS list please let us know.

BTW do you know the tech that works at Edge Radio? They need to change their PI code (and preferably change their PS to static from dynamic).

I was also curious to know if 7RGY has RDS AF on both of their transmitters? I ask given that you have two RDS LPON transmitters in their LAP.

All the very best of success with slam! & Pulse in 2024. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

3GL 1341 is back on air this morning

3 Likes

I wish 3gl would be on DAB+ and live streaming as well. Until they do so I cant listen to it which is a shame

In comparsion Magic 1278 offers varity of ways to listen to the station, AM, DAB+, Radioapp and via Magic1278.com.au

select medium wave and input 1341 kHz:

http://sdr-amradioantennas.com:8075/

4 Likes

Yep- beat me to it!

Other SDRs are available here:

http://rx.linkfanel.net/

2 Likes

I wish K-Rock, Bay FM, Pulse FM and all the ABC stations were available on DAB+ in Geelong, so that my parents can listen to ABC Radio Melbourne on their Sony lounge room radio which only has FM and DAB+.

For some reason, It is taking a while for the ACMA to expand DAB+ into regional areas

They can listen via Channel 25 on Digital TV or PVR.

I don’t think there’s enough interest from operators sadly… Only Mandurah outside of the capitals and Gold Coast have it.

“taking a while” = commercial radio owners in regional and rural areas don’t want it.

Remember that Grant Broadcasters in Geelong had impeders and nulling put in place by the ACMA to prevent being undercut by the MEL DAB+ stations.

I think DRM is the platform being proposed for regional digital radio? DRM - Is this the future of Regional and Remote Broadcasting?

1 Like