Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

I wouldnt agree or disagree, except to say that LPONs often get a bad rap for over powering but this may not be the case for a couple of reasons:

• The inverse square law (i.e. as you double your distance from the antenna, your signal reduces by 6db. This law, actually helps alot the closer you are to the transmitter, for example a radio service on 1 watt, could be heard out to 10km for the transmitter, whereas another station on 100,000 watts might struggle to reach 50km. Despite the station on 100,000 watts having a 50db advantage over the 1 watt service.
  • most car radios can receive signals at or above 20db, therefore LPONs with their limit of 48db at 2km and 10km, gives them a 28db signal margin, thats enough to get you 20 to 40km from the transmitter site if you are line of sight.
2 Likes

Also check out the coverage experiences of 1 watt radio services in New Zealand, many of these services report getting very far (e.g. 30km) from there antenna sites (often on hills or mountains), given the rules the NZ gov have imposed on these services, they are very hard to overpower.

1 Like

Yes, HAAT or Height Above Average Terrain is critical. You can have quite a high powered service but if the transmitter site is poorly located, it doesn’t get out very well.

4 Likes

I think they have 2 transmitters out that way

2 Likes

Raw FM appears to have had a logo update according to their Facebook page….

3 Likes

Reports that 1341kHz Geelong is back on air and playing classic hits along with classic 3GL jingles from the 80s. Just checking it out on a Melbourne-based SDR now and it does indeed appear to be back alive, and reception is fairly good (as it always was).

Anyone know if they’ve turned back on at the old Leopold site, or if it’s shifted elsewhere? Last I saw the Leopold site was still one mast down on its usual configuration, so had expected to never hear anything from there again.

I’ll be able to check in a couple of weeks but a bit far away now.

4 Likes

Indeed it’s back, very strong here in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. The service seems to be licenced to “GEELONG BROADCASTERS PTY LIMITED” and the transmitter site is still “Geelong Broadcasters Site Portarlington Rd LEOPOLD VIC 3221”

1 Like

Smells like an ACMA complaint is on the cards

2 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t imagine the likes of Magic or 3MP would be too happy with it.

The playlist from my brief listening is fairly old, 50s and 60s. But the use of genuine old 3GL jingles/promos has me really intrigued. Is it being run by (the artist formerly known as) Grant Broadcasters? Is it just an enthusiast with access to some old recordings? I’d really love to know the story, and what’s planned (if anything more).

2 Likes

Also decent reception across the bay into West Gippsland. I am guessing running at full power. Seemed to be pips on the hour, no ads or announcers.

3 Likes

As someone who grew up listening/dxing to the old AM classic hits stations from around the country with my parents in the 90s I’m actually really loving listening to this revival via Melbourne SDR atm - it’s like being a kid again and/or in some type of strange 60s time warp

4 Likes

Receiving it by Skywave into the NSW Southern Highlands, was playing Fats Domino followed by a jingle.

2 Likes

For those not in Melbourne you can pick it up via Kiwi SDR, find the closest SDR via this map

2 Likes

Better than 3MP?

Had a brief listen today, I have to think at this point playing 60s is just as narrowcast of a format as Country or Dance formats that commonly get a run on HPONs.

If it was FM I’d instantly assume pirate, but I’d have to assume this is coming from the old 3CW site, but it still feels fishy - some engineer having some fun over the holiday period? The signal seems very strong so I can’t imagine it’s anything other than a real AM broadcast site.

Otherwise, does any aspect of the ACMA’s rules on “use it or lose it” apply to high power narrowcasters? They’ve done a push on wasted LPONs before - but this suddenly lighting up all this time later might just be to ensure that the license isn’t surrendered?

7 Likes

Just saw this on Facebook, posted yesterday. No idea of the accuracy of this information:

Word on the (James) street is 3GL is in the process of being re-launched on 1341AM in the Geelong area.

More information is expected from Geelong Broadcasters in the New Year but test transmissions are now being conducted.

(apologies if this has already been shared here. I’d not seen it)

3 Likes

Grant owns that licence are they allowed to broadcast?

1 Like

Something’s altered the equation, yes.

Of course, as in Ballarat, the big commercial owner has effectively kept hold of the old AM to prevent any real competition - which in a just world would have the ACMA looking hard at them for such a BLEEP move.

1 Like

Hmm very interesting if it’s only a HPON licence there’s not much Grant can do though. I suppose if they argued a AM station playing 50/60s music is niche now though…

The 50s and 60s would be the equivalent of music from the early 1900s playing on 1980s radio.

2 Likes

Something’s motivated them to do this but we don’t know what. Must be pretty important if they feel the need to revive 1341, though.