Monday 24 April 2023

So I guess after a show like MAFS has finished, Nine would be better off having Andy Lee rather than the News?

They currently have both.

A lot of people tune in to the late night news on Nine.

But they wouldn’t tune in at 9pm?

It’s too early. People are just settling down after getting home, cooking dinner, showers, washing up, ironing for the next day. They want entertainment not news. That’s why it works at 10:30pm because people are slowly drifting off to sleep and don’t want to start another episode cause they won’t get through it. News at 9pm is just a little too early.

I’m sure they would, but Nine have gone with an entertainment-focused line-up through until about 10 each evening Mon-Wed during NRL season, and it works for them.

We have to wrap this up now. But we are saying the News rates its head off at 6pm every night and also rates well at 10.30pm, but noone would watch it at 9pm.

Everyone would prefer to watch Andy Lee or Frozen Planet.

Interesting.

I would argue “everyone” is actually on streaming and a very small percentage are watching Andy Lee and Frozen Planet. News figures are dropping yearly. From breakfast shows all the way to 6pm figures. People are loosing interest in all the misery and agenda setting. I don’t think I’ve watched the news since Covid started. I don’t need that in my life and it seems others agree. Not to mention there’s other places to get the news now. People don’t need FTA.

No, you are saying no-one would watch it. The rest of us know that some people would watch it, but not as many as would prefer to watch more entertainment shows at 9pm.

1 Like

Thats where we differ.

I believe the News at 9pm would rate higher than most of the lame shows that are on 9,7 or 10 at this time of night because even the 4.30pm news on Nine made the Top 20 last week.

Again, that’s different. People are just getting home at 4:30 and chucking the tv on while they cook dinner etc. your examples are all about habits and timing rather than people actively choosing to sit down and watch the news. You aren’t exactly going to start a Netflix episode when you’re cooking dinner and doing kids homework etc.

People watch the news at 4:30, so they will watch it at 9? That is a very long bow to draw.

Not sure who is getting home at 4.30pm. It is hard enough getting home at 6pm lol.

I do agree with you about people chucking on the tv at 4.30 while they cook

They will also chuck on the tv at 9pm to see if anything is happening in the world before they go to bed.

Chewy Apple, my point is that the 4.30pm News beat a lot of enterainment programs that were in Prime Time

1. They are two completely different time periods, so they aren’t directly comparable.
  2. That only proves that people like watching the news at 4:30, not that people would prefer news over the entertainment offerings at 9.

No, it shows that the rubbish programs the networks dished up at 9pm rated so poorly that they were beaten by the news at 4.30pm even though there is a much smaller available audience in the afternoon

Clearly, people like watching live News.

People don’t like what the networks are offering right now, not that they don’t like what they are offering year round. The Hundred, Have You Been Paying Attention, The Cheap Seats, Gogglebox. These are all entertainment shows that pull very good audiences in that 9pm timeslot across various times of the year. If people don’t like Accused or Frozen Planet or NCIS, they aren’t saying “Man, I wish there was some live news on now”, they are saying “I’ll watch another episode of that great show on Nexflix, et. al” or going to bed because it is a work/school night.

2 Likes

Lol.

No ones home at 5pm? Well tell that to 7 and 9 who seem to have a large 5pm audience.

Also as has been pointed out, why would you move a show from a 9pm timeslot that gets around 700k to 900k in total consolidated and help grow share, and replace it with a low rating news that will cause a 7 day decrease?
Mayhem and chaos in that mind of yours.

1 Like

They can do that with their phone and oh i dont know, abc news 24.

1 Like

Why don’t they watch the 6pm news on their phones?

It must be at 10.30pm that people start saying “Man, I wish there was some live news on right now” because the late night coverage rates well.