Mock Schedules

That fact alone should tell you, don’t move it to 8pm. If any change were to happen for the show and its time slot, maybe it could be packaged in 2 formats. Format 1 could be the existing format of an average of 5 episodes a week - packaged that way primarily for international distribution. Format 2 would be 2x 1 hour and 15 minute episodes a week and move it to 7:00pm Sunday and 7:30pm Wednesdays with reality TV on Sunday to Tuesday

I don’t like that idea either. As I said it was a radical move. Something I would like to see 7 do. I don’t see the need to repackage the show and change the way it works. Yeah it might not be able to manage 1 million viewers but if it managed a similar figure for 8pm or a little more then I don’t see the harm. Especially when you are investing in quality 8:30 content. And it is fact that 7 have been able to pick viewers up in those timeslots in the past.

I am just not sold on the idea of moving the program from 7pm unless you package it in a way where its on 2 nights a week. I think how it screens at the moment towards the end of the week looks messy (double and triple episodes Wednesday or Thursday)

That’s fine I guess that is the beauty of these being mock schedules.

1 Like

I just can’t figure out your logic. On one hand you day, dont touch 10Bold as its the highest rating multi-channel, but then you want to change the No 1. networks evening schedule.

But its not number 1 between 7pm-9:30pm which is the timeslots I am changing… In fact its often the third rating channel between those times.

1 Like

All I can think about in relation to your post is the Wheel Of Fortune debacle of 1996 where they replaced a popular host (John Burgess) with a popular host (Tony Barber) ousted from a previous role. Then the following year replacing the replacement

What has that got to do with my post?

1 Like

|ts about changing what people are familiar with. If they open up that 7pm slot, it may lead to Nine or Ten trying something else. Remember at one point Neighbours was 7pm weeknights on Ten?

It would be the same if Ten abandoned the 5pm news, it would open an opportunity for others in the market. Even if Seven is coming third at times, maybe they need to look at post 7:30pm. After all, as you said, H&A rates well

1 Like

Why would 9 try something else when they are winning the slot? What would 10 do in that slot? I don’t really understand still…

Four possibilities

1. A game show (such as Catchphrase) with a host like John Burgess

2. Hire some new writers and try and revamp Neighbours

3. Start reality TV programs at 7pm

4. New current affairs program aimed at women at 7pm hosted by Lisa Wilkinson

As for your idea, perhaps Today Tonight at 7pm and Home and Away at 8pm could work on 7Two, retaining Home and Away at 7pm on the main channel. Reality encores could air the following day on 7Two from 4:30pm or 5pm (depending on duration of program) with The Chase Australia at 6pm

All things that 10 could do even if 7 didn’t do what I suggested. So still not sure of your point…

My point is well viewers follow the show or will it lose more viewers. I guess if Seven had held back from screening double episodes on Thursday they could have tried screening double episodes at 7pm from 30 September then screening reality content at 8pm, in preparation for something like you are suggesting. It would also test the waters on starting evening viewing at 8pm instead of 7:30pm. If such a move worked, then maybe Seven could test the waters with Today Tonight (or an equivalent nightly show)

I dont doubt that in the long term one of the stations may try and start evening viewing at 8pm or 8:30pm, but at present I am not sure it would work. Viewers need to be eased into such changes.

1 Like

That is a fair point. It is also why I said it was a radical change.

Maybe your idea could be trialled over Summer. Given the breaks in scheduling caused by the BBL and day night tests in December and January, Home and Away could potentially screen double episodes at 7:30pm with Today Tonight at 7pm.

w/c 2 December 2019
Monday/Tuesday
1:30pm Cricket: Domain Test Series - Australia vs Pakistan*
6:50pm Seven News
7:30pm Cricket: Domain Test Series - Australia vs Pakistan*

Standby Programs (subject to change without notice)
1:30pm Movie
3:30pm Border Patrol
4:00pm Seven News
5:00pm The Chase Australia
6:00pm Seven News
7:00pm Today Tonight
7:30pm Highway Patrol
8:00pm Border Security
8:30pm Movie

Wednesday/Thursday
7:30pm Home And Away (Double Episodes)

Friday
7:30pm Better Homes And Gardens Summer Edition

w/c 9 December 2019
Monday-Wednesday
7:30pm Home And Away (double episodes)

Thursday-Friday
3:00pm Cricket: Domain Test Series - Australia Vs Pakistan*
6:40pm Cricket: Domain Test Series -Australia vs Pakistan*
11:30pm The Latest

w/c 16 December 2019
Monday
3:00pm Cricket: Domain Test Series - Australia Vs Pakistan*
6:40pm Cricket: Domain Test Series -Australia vs Pakistan*
11:30pm The Latest

Standby Programs (Subject to change without notice)
3:00pm The Chase
4:00pm Seven News
7:30pm Highway Patrol
8:00pm Border Security
8:30pm Movie

Tuesday -Friday
7:00pm Cricket: T20 BBL*
10:30pm Today Tonight
11:00pm The Latest

• All live sport listed at ADEST

It is an interesting idea the one you suggest and now you have made the schedule I understand what you are doing.

However, I don’t like the idea of testing something over the summer. To begin wtih 7 will not have too many free nights to do this so the testing will not be accurate and you don’t test a viewing pattern during a time when tv viewing isn’t consistent to your typical viewer.

1 Like

What if Today Tonight was screened on 7Two PLUS Seven could trial TT on the main channel at 7pm from late October/early November., followed by 7:30pm Home And Away and a reality program at 8pm (shifting programs back half an hour to try and get a feel for whether viewers wam to the idea)

2 Likes

I am just not sure I like the idea of trialing ideas. That is seven’s biggest problem not willing to take enough risks.

1 Like

SUNDAY
6:00 Drag News
6:30 The Project
7:30 Deal or no Deal
*Potential to winning 1 million
8:30 The Act Show
*Chat Show hosted by Courtney Act

Monday
7:30 Thank God You’re Here
8:30 Dirty Laundry Live

Tuesday
7:30 Survivor Australia Then The Apprentice Australia
8:30 48 Hours Australia

Wednesday
8:30 Mr Black Then Bachelor in Paradise
9:00 How to Stay Single

Thursday
8:30 Gogglebox Then Bachelor in Paradise

Friday
7:30 The Living Room
8:30 This Week Live

Seven tested The Latest over the summer. January from memory? And the show is still running. Although at random times.

Seven can test out Today Tonight too? Over summer and around sports?

2 Likes