Mock Schedules

So… repeat the 5pm news at 9.30 or later if nothing new is developing?

Pretty sure STW 9 under WIN tried that strategy.

I also like the whole shifting the state based focus to a half hour slot… thus killing jobs.

If what I suggested occurred, the killing of jobs as you suggested would be be minimal given that you would retain more staff for a national bulletin, especially if you intend producing a morning news bulletin (either pre or post Studio 10)

sigh. this again?

You cannot have the same crews working for a morning news and an evening bulletin.

I didnt say the SAME crews. I was saying there would be ample opportunities for news staff to work on either one or the other, this would be the case more so if it was say a 7am edition, then a 6pm edition.

The news day operates outside of 9am til 5pm, so should the news staff. A morning crew and the night crew.

If what you are saying were true, that the same staff were working on both broadcasts, then the same would apply to Studio 10 and The Project … I can see you saying, “Sorry Joel, but Waleed is going to take YOUR job.”

I am sorry but if you think I am saying the same staff would work on the morning and evening shift was NEVER the case.

Next time, I think I need to draw what I am saying in crayon so you can understand

excuse me, I forgot that you’re a network programmer with decades of experience.

The news day already operates outside of 9-5, with most journos working 8-6, some COS’ work 5-6 too.

So now you’ve gone to the other extreme and are implying a full recruitment drive for evening shifts.

And then there’s the incoherent mumbling about Studio 10 and The Project. You do know they’re two seperate productions in two seperate cities right?

Where did I suggest this? You say firstly I am trying to cut jobs, then a recruitment drive? Quite a few people say Ten should do a news or breakfast show - others also say Ten should do an evening edition (after 6pm). I am saying the 5pm to 7:30pm strategy and any morning program should be either state based or (at the very least) an updated version for WA.

Again I didn’t say this… if you are or have ever been a programmer, then its no wonder the networks are as atrociously programmed as they are…

eyeroll

Can we go back to making up mock schedules please?

3 Likes

Don’t be a party pooper… a good stoush is always fun and makes for a great TV format… :sunglasses:

Here is a schedule I would like to present for opinions (post 8:30pm)

Sun
8:30pm (Australia’s Most) Wanted(or Australian Crimestoppers),
9:30pm Ten News First^
10:00 Elementary/NCIS,
11:00pm Ten Newsbreak/Sports Tonight
11:30pm The Project Encore

Monday
8:30pm Have You Been Paying Attention/Kinne Tonight
10:00pm Bull/Instinct,

Tuesday
8:30pm 48 Hours Australia^^^,
10:00pm Law And Order:SVU/NCIS:New Orleans,

Wednesday
8:30pm New Ground^^,
10:00pm FBI/Madam Secretary,

Thursday
8:30pm Good News Week/Gogglebox,
10:00pm A Million Little Things/The Gilded Age,

Friday
8:30pm Australia In 30 Minutes
9:00pm The Political Game,
10:00pm Blue Bloods/NCIS: Los Angeles,

Saturday
8:30pm Graham Norton Show
10:00pm NCIS (rpt)/ NCIS: New Orleans (rpt)

^ start time would vary depending on the time the 7:30pm program ends.

^^It could be a current affairs based program depending on the format Ten chose for 48 Hours Australia. Alternatively could be a testing ground for New Australian content

^^^ This could be based on the US format or a straight current affairs show like 60 Minutes, Sunday Night etc

I quite like the idea of Ten News at 9:30. I like that flow and moving US programming to 10pm. Its good.

However, there are a few things I do not like. Firstly, why does a program start at 11:35 can we not just have start times of either on the hour or half hour?

I don’t like moving HYBPA, which is successful in the Monday slot, to a Thursday slot. If anything put Good News Week there in the Thursday slot.

I know this is fantasy schedules… but if you’re going to do news in prime time (and I’m yet to meet a programmer who’ll do it) you’d have to add some form of value and context to the bulletin.

A straight recitation of the day’s news which everyone already knows just isn’t going to work.

1 Like

Is the above better?

ABC, SBS, Nine and Seven all do news in primetime though. Or is it just that you haven’t met those programmers?

I don’t agree with this statement. So many people work different hours. I was working until 9pm at one time and would have loved a news service from that time.

You know what I meant… post 7.30.

If my meaning was somehow obscure and requires clarification let me be clear… I was referring to mid evening prime time.

Happy?

1 Like

So you didn’t listen to the radio, check your social media feeds, check news websites or watch a news channel?

There are plenty of options for getting the news as you work or after you work whenever you work.

Believe me or not… a mid prime news bulletin is never going to happen… particlarly not on 10 who’ve stated quite clearly they want to skew younger… they very people who will have consumed their headlines on alternative platforms.

If you want to talk about scheduling a news magazine with new and exclusive content that’s a discussion worth halving.

What myself and I believe @turdall are saying that it is a opportunity for one of the networks - especially with SBS now airing SBS World News Late around 10:30pm, instead of the original 9:30pm timeslot. If there were no value to a late bulletin, why would SBS screen one, especially given all the News opportunities across the ABC platforms.

Ten are traditionally the ones that dare to be different

@KnowItAll Perhaps a program called The Daily 10, where the concept would be a discussion based program about the 10 biggest issues over the past 24 hours be something you could see Ten doing?

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying… but as a commercial entity which requires audience (and SBS doesn’t) a mid-evening straight news bulletin just isn’t going to drive ratings.

If anyone thought it would don’t you think they’d have done it already? Seven and Nine have flooded their daytime schedule with cost effective news. And they already have the resources to pull on a 9pm or 10pm edition.

My opposition if you want to call it that is to straight news… your idea for a discussion “added value” program “The Daily 10” is definitely worth discussion.

SBS Late News has been airing at random times for a while now. Here are this weeks times: 10.35pm (Mon & Tues); 11.40pm (Wed); 11.35pm (Thurs); 10.45pm (Fri). ABC has the Late News too, airing usually around the 10.30pm mark.

I can’t see a mid-evening news either on commercial tv. If Ten were to go back to the Late News, id have them air it at 10.30pm sharp each night. 30 Minute version too. There needs to be better editors for the reality shows so they can always finish at time! lol.

1 Like