Mock Commentary Teams

Have you heard of Gerard Whateley?
I believe 7 will be enquiring as to how desperately he wants to stay at Fox instead of calling AFL, horse racing, Olympics etc for them.
Shame really, cos I can’t stand Gerard.

By the time we get to 2024, AUstralian Open telecast will end on Channel Nine and anyone will get the tennis up for grabs. I do want the Tennis to go back to Seven in 2025 because the Seven Network will treat the coverage with respect. This will mean that the Men’s Tests, BBL matches, Women’s Cricket Matches and the WBBL will end the telecast agreement on Seven/Fox. Who knows which network will get the rights. Could you imagine if Nine gets International Cricket back on air in 2025, this will mean that there will be a shuffle-up in the commentary teams. Big Bash League could go to TEN/Fox. I would say, Local teams to replace broadcasts into home states.

1 Like

Sack the entire Nine/Seven cricket commentary team and replace them with Billy Birmingham (The 12th Man), that guy with excellent cricket commentary team impersonations…

I’m sure you’ll figure out where this idea came from

(moved from another thread cause it was in the wrong place)

If women called AFL/NRL.

Fox Footy: Kelli Underwood, Sarah Jones, Nick Riewoldt, David King, Nick Dal Santo
Fox League 1: Yvonne Sampson, Braith Anasta, Steve Roach, Hannah Hollis
Fox League 2: Lara Pitt, Mick Ennis, Danny Buderus, Megan Barnard

2 Likes

I think this sounds like a good idea. Sarah Jones hosting AFLW with Kelli Underwood commentating.

1 Like

I do mean Men’s

I could change Buderus to Alexander.

Seven’s AFL Commentary Team post Bruce McAvaney

Friday Night Footy
Host: Hamish McLachlan
Brian Taylor & James Brayshaw
Special Comments: Wayne Carey and Jobe Watson
Boundary Rider: Matthew Richardson

Saturday Night Footy
Host: Luke Darcy
Luke Darcy & Basil Zempilas
Special Comments: Cameron Ling and Matthew Richardson
Boundary Rider: Abbey Holmes

Sunday Afternoon Footy
Host: Hamish McLachlan
Hamish McLachlan & Brian Taylor
Special Comments: Cameron Ling and Luke Hodge
Boundary Rider: Daisy Pearce

With Basil taking on the Saturday night game, he would reduce his Seven News commitments to a Sunday to Wednesday roster, so his days off would be Thursdays & Fridays.

I have also removed Leigh Matthews, as I assume has been made redundant. I haven’t seen him on Seven’s coverage this year yet.

1 Like

Where does he live? Wouldn’t that limit his ability to work this year?

If he’s mayor he shouldn’t be doing anything more than an occasional boundary riding.

No thanks.

Rest of it looks good.

I think he lives in Queensland, so I wonder why he hasn’t been used as a boundary rider/special comments on the ground considering how many games are being played there.

He might not be that good at being a boundary rider. Luke Hodge is great so they might not be using him because of that.

Leigh is also 68 years old (a year older than Bruce) so there’s also the chance he may have retired but didn’t want there to be any publication/press release.

A dream idea, that would never happen in real life, to rejuvenate Seven’s AFL commentary ranks in 2022.

Thursday Night
Callers: Tim Lane and James Brayshaw
Expert Comments: Alistair Clarkson and Jobe Watson
Boundary Rider: Abbey Gelmi

Friday Night
Callers: Brian Taylor and James Brayshaw
Expert Comments: Nathan Buckley and Luke Hodge

Saturday Night
Callers: Tim Lane and Anthony Hudson
Expert Comments: Alistair Clarkson and Jobe Watson
Boundary Rider: Abbey Gelmi

Sunday Afternoon
Callers: Brian Taylor and Jason Bennett
Expert Comments: Nathan Buckley and Luke Hodge

2 Likes

If I was in charge of the commentary lineup for 10 Paramount’s Soccer coverage in Australia. I would have full coverage from the stadium including hosts etc however if COVID strikes and for International overnight matches, a studio similar to the studio for Melbourne Cup. On Saturdays when there are back to back matches, the studio would be Football HQ and also could also host shows too.
Studio like below:

For FTA games, the aim should be for two co-hosts a male and a female to anchor the coverage. For every game there will be a host that might also take on the sideline reporter role in some cases when there are a heavy load of matches being broadcasted. One caller and two experts will commentate the match and the W-League matches on FTA having a current player as one of the experts to help promote the players and assist with future media development if that is a career they choose to pursue. By rotating the talent those on FTA will get a glimpse of the commentator quality.

For Channel 10 A-League matches on Saturday nights:
Caller: Simon Hill
Expert Commentators: Two commentators from the 10 sport team
For Channel 10 W-League/Matildas FTA matches:
Caller: Stephanie Brantz
Expert Commentators: A 10 Sport female commentator and one W-League player.

As for sideline commentators, each match will have one sideline commentator except for finals, Socceroos/Matildas Internationals and big derbies/opening games etc. In those games there will be two sideline reporters. Sideline commentators will generally follow the old Channel 10 AFL system having a presenter based in each state.
Sideline Reporters:
Perth: Lachy Reid
Adelaide: Robbie Corthwaite
Melbourne: Michael Felgate, Caty Price, Natalie Youannidis
Sydney: Scott Mackinnon, Daniel Garb, Amy Duggan, Luke Wilkshire
Brisbane: Jonathon Williams

Full list of my ideal commentary team
Hosts: Lucy Zelic, Natalie Youannidis, Caty Price, Michael Felgate, Lachy Reid, Amy Duggan, Scott Mackinnon
Callers: Simon Hill, Ben Homer, Lachy Reid, David Basheer, Michael Bridges, Teo Pallizzeri, Daniel Garb, Stephanie Brantz,
Commentators: Georgiea Youman-Dale, Robbie Corthwaite, Andy Harper, Heather Garriock, Mark Rudan, Tal Karp, Luke Wilkshire, Amy Chapman, Andrew Durante, Archie Thompson, Michael Bridges, Daniel Garb, Sarah Walsh

3 Likes

Here it what I think will happen over next few years in regards to Sports TV Rights:

AFL (2025-2030): Seven and Fox
Cricket (2024/25-2030/31): All Men’s and Women’s Test, One Day and Twenty-20 internationals (Nine) & BBL and WBBL (Seven)
Australian Summer of Tennis (2025-2030): Ten and (Maybe) Fox
Melbourne Cup Spring Racing Carnival (2024-2029): Seven
Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race (2024-2029): Seven

6 Likes

My opinion, the only way these will go is any of 5 ways: Seven, Seven and Fox, Nine and Stan, and 10 and Paramount+, or Seven and an overseas-based streaming service (e.g. Prime, Netflix, Disney+).

AFL: Seven and Fox, although don’t count Amazon out of going for something.
Cricket: Nine/10 (and respective streamers). Breakup of rights may be Tests one way and everything else the other. I just don’t think Seven will retain the rights, unless Cricket Australia choose to keep Fox on board. Nine and 10 will want entire rights (FTA, Streaming, Pay) for their respective content.
Aussie Tennis: Stay with Nine, unless they get more cricket than just the Tests. Then Seven would need summer sport, and I’d see them, along with whoever gets tennis, getting tennis exclusively.
Melbourne Cup: Still with 10, but with Paramount+ included. Otherwise it might go back to Seven, again exclusively.
Sydney to Hobart start: Will stay with Seven, not a big deal really.

1 Like

Paramount+ already sponsors Stakes Day

1 Like

Yeah but that is completely separate to the broadcast rights.

Having worked at ahe VRC many years ago, I think the broadcaster having the naming rights to a whole day let alone a race says more about the VRC’s ability to sell sponsorships rather then likely broadcasters into the future. Stakes day has always been the least appealing of days for sponsors despite there being decent races scheduled.

1 Like

9/Stan or 10/Paramount would be a good fit for the cricket rights. The current 7/Fox deal is a failure

3 Likes