Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 4, 2023

The K&JO factor , and the music in Sydney is better.

3 Likes

Correct. KIIS1065 is more successful:

A) Because of K&J
B) Because of no K&J on 2Day

In Melbourne, Fox’s Fifi, Fev & Nick are a successful heritage show (as to some extent is/was Nova100’s breakfast show). Hence, there is too much CHR clutter in Melbourne. Unlike Sydney, where 2Day has no strong competition & neither too really does Nova96.9.

5 Likes

Nova 106.9 isn’t a JV. That’s only Nova Perth. KIIS97.3 is the JV in Brisbane.

You’re right ARN made a big mistake KIIS-ifying 97.3 so quickly after the demise of 4KQ. As JV partner Nova should have pushed to Smooth-ify it instead. Smooth 97.3 would be rating 15 or 16% in Brisbane, maybe more.

2 Likes

4BH does so well because it got pretty much the entire 4KQ audience handed to it on a plate. It was fortuitous timing for 4BH.

2UE, Magic and 3MP are struggling because they are damaged heritage radio brands coming from a low base and competing in a much more competitive market. They’re also having to rival Smooth FM which I imagine has taken much of their potential audience as well, whereas Smooth is only on DAB in Brisbane so is not as much a threat.

I think the K&JO factor as others have mentioned. And also KIIS has to deal with a much stronger FOX brand in Melbourne rather than a damaged 2DAY in Sydney.

5 Likes

4BH does so well (and 4KQ before it) quite simply because none of the major FM stations cater to an adult music audience. 4MMM isn’t a full-time music station and is too bogan to appeal to a mainstream music audience. KIIS97.3 continues to disenfranchise its older audience and chase a younger audience who seem more than happy with Nova and B105.
Also historically the adult audience never migrated fully to FM in Brisbane compared to other capitals because of the failure of 4BH and 4KQ to convert to FM in the early 90s. So AM music stations continued to thrive right up to the present day.

9 Likes

I know a lot of media coverage around the ratings focuses on ABC’s broader downward trend but I wonder what’s triggered such a drop for RN in Perth?

Last year it started the year at 2.1 and even with a mid-year dip it recovered to 1.3 by the end of the year. This year it started at 0.8 and for the last 3 surveys not going any higher than 0.5.

5 Likes

Yikes! That is dire. I can’t say I’m that surprised by RN’s decline though. It sounds more like a collection of random podcasts than a live national radio station. It sounds lifeless, even the breakfast show. Then there’s the perception of social bias across all ABC stations… There could be a perception in WA that it’s too east coast focused too?

5 Likes

Yeah TBH I wouldn’t miss RN if it were to be replaced by something else. ABC Sport would be a better idea as they would surely gain more listeners than RN if it were on AM.

This would piss off SEN and Nine but I don’t see many other options for them. Possibly do a deal with SBS to carry the BBC World Service on AM?

I can’t see them putting a music station on AM.

2 Likes

Seven Brisbane had a fairly good report on ratings

No mention on Nine Brisbane that I saw, though Nine Sydney did a report on Ray Hadley’s ratings.

4 Likes

I like the graphics used by 7

4 Likes

Looking back over the last few years, Perth has generally been lower than the other mainland capitals. Regardless, the overall trend is not healthy. Some quick graphs:

5 Likes

That’s pretty bad. They might as well re-brand it Radio Canberra - it’s the only place listening.

2 Likes

What a fantastic result for 4BH, and I keep hearing music on AM doesn’t work… Pfffft :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It can work when/where it’s the only option.
Though it’s worth noting that 4BH’s showing under 54s is minimal, which is where most of the ad dollars are placed. Though impressive, a 27 share doesn’t generate much revenue when it’s 65+

2 Likes

There’s also the fact that everything on RN is on a 2 hour delay for WA which doesn’t make it great for listening to the live programs (e.g. breakfast and drive) when the news cycle is as fast paced as it is nowadays.

5 Likes
1 Like

I’ll never understand this. Do advertisers think people over 50 don’t spend money? I’ve never had more disposable income or net worth in my life!

5 Likes

I’m probably the same but at the same time I’m probably less likely to be influenced or swayed by advertising than someone who is in a younger demographic.

3 Likes

Oldies shop at Coles and Harvey Norman too :wink:

1 Like

I shop at Coles occasionally but don’t pay attention to their advertising. I buy what I need or if I am looking for specials I may check their website, I don’t wait for their ads to come on the TV or radio.

1 Like