Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 4, 2019

I tend to agree re Smooth. I still like it but it is sounding a lot more safe and predictable lately. They’re playing around 80% music from the 80s nowadays. Less 60s and 70s and the 80s stuff they do play is increasingly boring.

They need a slight rejig in my opinion a bit more towards urban AC like The Wave in LA for example. Or head back to where they were 12 months ago.

2 Likes

Stoked for Jase and PJ!
That’s a VERY solid increase.

Guess we’ll have to see more 56 hour marathons! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

A small decrease for Christian O’Connell, his ratings are certainly not awful but I wonder whether how happy Gold are around a year on, considering he wouldn’t have come cheap.

His show is better than other FM options in Melbourne I think.

1 Like

Would it be cheaper or on par with a proper duo I know he has Jack as well. It’s a solid show and fits the stations feel better than their previous offerings too

2 Likes

What’s with those ratings increases for Macquarie Sports Radio in Sydney & Brisbane? Is it just because those two markets don’t have SEN (yet) or is it something else?

I agree.

Good to see a ratings increase across the board for 702, after they had two or three poor surveys in a row.

Taking a closer look at 2CH’s ratings, it seems like Chris Kearns’ local nights show is doing quite well (with the station now getting 6% in the evenings) while Tim Webster is doing fine in the morning, but there’s room for improvement elsewhere in the schedule.

I’m still of the belief that if 2CH wants any meaningful ratings increases in the long run, they need to do an external advertising campaign primarily targeted at listeners who miss some of the Classic Hits that WSFM used to play (with 101.7 primarily focused on playing 80s to now in 2019, with much less from the 60s/70s these days compared to around six or seven years ago) but find Smooth 95.3 just a little too slow and sleepy. Pair that up with a giveaway of cheap DAB+ receivers across town and you’ve got a campaign which has the potential to increase 2CH’s audience share up to around 5-6% overall, I think.

That in itself should be concerning, but it’s even worse than that. RN 576 and NewsRadio 630 are outrating Grant, Ed & Ash on 2DayFM! :open_mouth:

As for Smooth FM, I personally believe that the musical formats of their Sydney & Melbourne stations need to be slightly different to adequately cater for each market. With 2CH placing a certain emphasis on 60s and 70s Classic Hits with an Easy Listening edge, Smooth 95.3 can probably afford to focus a bit more on tracks from the 80s/90s. But with a lack of any AM music station in Melbourne, you’d probably want to hear a variety of tracks (well, ones which suit the Smooth format anyway) from the 60s to now on Smooth 91.5!

4 Likes

Denis Walter data ranking No. 1, but MRN not saying it was No. 1 in their release?

Simply put, no. Some of the smaller NZ markets have AMs that do well (Coast was #2 on AM in Northland last year before adding an FM simulcast), but those don’t quite compare with a major metro like Brisbane.

FYI, KQ’s 10.5 is its largest share since S4/2004.

4 Likes

ADAM LANG, MACQUARIE MEDIA:
“We are enormously proud of our national sports network, Macquarie Sports Radio,
which has shown further audience growth in this survey period”.

The delusion continues! 0.2 % in Melbourne. Hilarious.

8 Likes

Not surprised to see the drop in Hit105, especially breakfast. The segments have been pretty appauling of late, they come across as unplanned, and not well researched. Its a shame because there is some good on air talent there.

2dayFM might as well phone it in for the rest of the year, its not working.

2 Likes

In Perth MSR rates 0 in every timeslot and demographic. That waste of space NTS with a handful of listeners manages to beat MSR.

5 Likes

Jase & PJ ahead of Hot Breakfast? Wowzers.

Watch as Fitzy describes this as a ‘blip’, or there’ll be ‘a correction in the next book’.

2 Likes

Looking at the age demos, huge spike for BC over 65’s and a corresponding one for KQ 55 - 64.

All it exposes is that the survey data is flaky, inconsistent in panel selection.

Digging into the details with GFK’s Probe software or the third party providers would likely unearth more inconsistencies and concerns.

Coast is a national format?

KQ is a true station for a sole metro market with a log not shared by other stations.

When you’re at zeros and ones any small increase doesn’t really amount to any significant factor. It’s like one person has ticked a few extra boxes in their listening diary.

Optimistic :roll_eyes:

When did MSR begin in Perth? Does anyone even know it’s there?

4 Likes

Hot Breakfast has fallen 1.7 in the last two surveys.

I know it’s there but I wouldn’t be surprised if only 10 other people in Perth know. Will be interesting to see if anyone listens to SEN WA when it starts up (presumably on 657 AM).

3 Likes

That’s a bit disrespectful from MRN even though Denis narrowly won the afternoon timeslot as I posted earlier.
Maybe Denis is gone from 3AW after all?
https://twitter.com/MrTVAus/status/1148557179093258240

1 Like

Herald Sun reports today on the latest AFL radio ratings in Melbourne. 3AW again dominated the survey, with a massive 13.6 on Friday nights, well ahead of Triple M’s 8.1.

1 Like

Interesting result in Perth (Nova almost pulling the type of demo clean sweep that 2DAY did once upon a time ,with JJJ only just holding onto 18-24), but the question is will it just flip back next survey to Mix as it always seems to do.
I’ve noticed Mix has really ramped up the outdoor advertising recently.

On the topic of the digital radio diaries, I wonder if Coles Radio rates so high because people fill it in as listened to when they go grocery shopping?

5 Likes

Re Coles yes I’m sure that’s it

3 Likes