Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 2, 2018

Inspired by the above post, here’s one for Sydney:
SydneyBreakfastRatings_2017-18

EON - 2CH is fairly steady from last year (just after EON acquired the station) under the helm of Gareth McCray, soon to be replaced by Trevor Sinclair & Indira Naidoo.

Macquarie - 2GB’s Alan Jones rose a bit, whilst TLS954, under the helm of John Stanley & Garry Linnell, fell.

Sky Sports - Steady.

SCA - 2Day breakfast didn’t move much despite a change in breakfast team, but the station lifted overall thanks to a music format change that happened at the beginning of this year. Triple M’s Grill Team fell a bit from last year.

ARN - Kyle & Jackie O on KIIS continues to rule the FM airwaves, whilst Jonesy & Amanda on WS bounced back from this time last year.

Nova Entertainment - Nova’s Fitzy & Wippa fell, whilst Smooth is fairly steady.

ABC - The change in breakfast for ABC Radio Sydney from a one person to a duo (Robbie Buck & Wendy Harmer) has seen their ratings having a slight decline from last year, which is better than what happened in Melbourne. All other ABC stations, except ABC Classic FM, fell.

4 Likes

I think KIIS’ biggest issue is its other dayparts. A woeful 4.3 in mornings, and haemorrhaging listeners with a pissweak nights lineup that finishes at 10pm

1 Like

To be fair, the drop in listenership across nights is reflective of its competition as well.

KIIS’ 7.8 in drive drops to a 5.8 at nights. Meanwhile, Fox’s 13.4 in drive drops to a 7.7 in nights - personally, I would’ve thought a nearly 6-point drop would be much more characteristic of a ‘haemorrhage’ of listeners than a 2-point drop.

Nova drops from a 9.3 in drive to a 7.2. Triple M drops from a 7.4 to a 4.8.

I’d suggest nights numbers are more indicative of audience behaviour than any particular offering. 3AW gets a nice 5-point boost from drive to nights, but it’s perhaps naive to suggest everyone’s simply moving from the FM’s to 3AW at night time (though it’s possible that some/many are).

Whilst the majority of other stations have remained somewhat consistent and therefore are easily able to be compared year on year, I don’t know that KIIS is in the same boat. I’d be more inclined to look at KIIS survey 1 & 2 results in comparison to survey 1 & 2 of Matt & Jane and survey 1 & 2 of Matt & Meshel, though I take your overall point.

As for overhauling and relaunching, isn’t that what they did in 2018…? From my listening the station certainly sounds much more like a proper ‘for a younger demo’ station, rather than simply Mix with a name change (which is what it sounded like from the launch of KIIS to end of 2017). It still appears to skew older, there’s a lot more older tracks than it’s mqin competition, but it’s still much more aimed at a younger demographic I would’ve thought.

Agree

Yes but there also a difference between a power house show like Hamish and Andy that was entertaining and humorous to a Hamish and Andy wanna be Show with too many fake laughs and inexperienced producers that the smart radio listeners of Melbourne Perth and Brisbane know Will and Woody are a turn off where as in Sydney and Adelaide you have dumb listeners who only listen to the Drive show because of their stations strong breakky shows

The station just doesn’t gel. The 3PM pick and WIll and Woody are aimed at completely different audiences, which is a real problem when the 2 shows need to work together to attract and retain listeners for the whole slot. Even Kyle and Jackie O don’t fit the rest of the station - love them or hate them, but their style and content is very different to the rest of the shows, so it’s unlikely to to appeal the their regular audience as well as it needs to. And as you say, their nights offering is very slack.

And then you get their Perfect Pour promotion. It started out in January, with the street team taking the pump to various locations around Melbourne during the breakfast show. Great idea as it gets listeners involved very easily and gives them a visable presence, but it’s dragging on… since the end of March they’re been running it in the studio (presumably because the streets are less enticing in the mornings heading into winter) and the terms and conditions on the website say that it’s running until June 8th. It’s just too long for a promotion that doesn’t give the audience anything worthwhile to listen to - it’s hard to get involved because you can’t see the pump when listening to the radio, and it’s very repetetive. It’s the sort of promo that really only has a life of a few weeks, not 5 months, and even then it’s not a good promo for radio.

The station just feels like a half-arsed regional station being run on skeleton staff outside the major shows.

4 Likes

Hamish & Andy also never rated as well across the country as they did being on the powerhouse that is Fox, which you could say is due more to breakfast and station lead-in than being an objectively great show. One could also say at least part of the reason they rated in Sydney is because of lead-in from Kyle & Jackie O, especially given their numbers after K&J left were not amazing in Sydney.

All I’m saying is liking or not liking a show has no real overall relevance to whether it is objectively a good show, or whether it will or won’t be successful.

Now, I’m a big KTM fan, and don’t listen to Will & Woody at all. But, I also liked Lowie’s Super Awesome Mega Mega Show when it was on Nova nights once upon a time. Didn’t matter, no one listened and it was very unsuccessful.

Sometimes the quality of a show has little bearing on whether it will rate or not. Similarly, whether or not you like a show has little bearing on whether it will rate or not.

3 Likes

I agree. 3pm though is basically infomercial-radio isn’t it?? I don’t really listen but seems like a cash cow they can’t afford to get rid of on the new format.

I dunno, I don’t like Kyle & Jackie O very much so I guess I’m biased against them. That said, the worked fine when they used to have a replay show on Fox, or when they did Hot Hits on Fox.
They felt like a completely different vibe then too. They’re at least closer to the mark than 3pm…

Ash London Live is not a haemorrhage on listeners ears, it rates #2FM at night how is that a haemorrhage?? And for the first two surveys it has rated on par if not higher then KIIS Drive, a 5% share at night is a haemorrhage IMO and Jase and PJ don’t suit the nights format, also all I’m saying is that Hamish and Andy were an entertaining Drive show, as for W and W I have not heard one person say that’s they were or are entertaining or funny

1 Like

Totally agree

Absolutely. The numbers shift is because most people aren’t listening to the radio at night, and those that are tend to be the older audiences. Even 3AW’s average audience and cume suffers a drop at nights, despite going up in share.

Ash London Live needs some work… personally I don’t enjoy listening to it anymore - there’s only so much fangirling and irrelevant in-jokes between the team that you can take. The show used to be all about the music, but it’s changed and now the music’s really only about 70% of the talk.

With Ash having moved to Melbourne this year (she’s marrying the CD of Fox next week), the show really needs to move all it’s production to Melbourne. With the national drive shows being produced out of Melbourne, as well as Fox re-affirming their strength this year, there’s obviously something going very well in South Melbourne.
On the other hand, outside of music shifts, 2Day only produce the night, overnight and weekend shows. Frankly, the other 2 don’t matter as they have minimal impact on ratings, which leaves a significant experience gap when producing Ash London Live. If they moved the production to Melbourne, even if that means altering the team, they would be able to feed of the success and experience of everything coming out of Melbourne and produce a better show.

4 Likes

Good point I guess, but problem is Draco and SXC Vivi are based and have lived in Sydney for ages and I believe Draco does some Weekend Shifts on 2Day

I can’t listen to it anymore, it’s so lame and her laugh comes off as so contrived and fake. It’s a shame because it was such a good opportunity to have a strong female lead host who seemed genuinely interested in making a show about music with a focus on new & Australian artists and every time I tune in is all it has turned into is a on air catch up with Draco and the sexy vie vie (or however you say / write that) producer and it is such a big turn off. No thanks

1 Like

Here’s the comparisons of Surveys 2 and 1 respectively over the last few years:
Chrissie & Jane [MIX] (2014): 6.6, 5.4 (avg 6.0)
Matt & Jane (2015): 5.7, 6.8 (avg 6.3)
Matt & Meshel (2016): 6.7, 6.2 (avg 6.5)
Matt & Meshel (2017): 6.8, 6.3 (avg 6.6)
Jase & PJ (2018): 5.0, 5.1 (avg 5.1)

Whilst the launch of KIIS in 2015 provided a lift from MIX, I would argue that the Survey 1 had a sample factor as people tested the new stations. This does not seem to have recurred with Matt & Meshel or Jase & PJ.

From my perspective, KIIS in 2015 was a more overt relaunch, whereas the 2018s changes come across more as an evolution rather than a revolution. The changes either aren’t cutting through or the audience doesn’t like them.

Straying into the KIIS Network thread, personally I would ditch the KIIS name in Melbourne to send a signal. The brand has never really hit the mark in Melbourne (but I would keep it in Sydney). KIIS was launched as supposedly being “fresh” and then most of the talent was recycled from other stations (which hardly reinforces the “fresh” concept) and as @amc_556 points out, it felt like the same format with a new name, especially with shows like 3PM pickup retained. I would start again with a new name to support the changes at the start of the year eg “Fresh101” (I’m sure some others can come up with better names) and hopeful this will achieve the cut through, although @webguy’s comments on promotion indicates there is supporting work to be undertaken in a number of departments .

3 Likes

The Edge 101.ONE?

3 Likes

Even TTFM. It’s was a big brand in the 90’s, and still the most successful brand on 101.1. Launch it as “We’re back, the new TTFM” or something like that. Really play to their herritage, but also relate it to the current market. It’s a brand that’s known in Melbourne, and even those who don’t know what it is - tell them. It at least gives a more solid base than some new name that means nothing to anyone.

2 Likes

If the objective is to appeal as being “fresh”, I don’t think a heritage name makes sense - again contradictory messages. TTFM works for a variety or mix style station aimed at an older audience.

I like @AustralianAerial 's suggestion of Edge101.ONE

1 Like

I don’t think you know the meaning of haemorrhage… having fewer listeners is not the same as haemorrhaging listeners…

I mean, apart from all the people in Sydney and Adelaide who obviously think they are… oh and they increased their share in Melbourne… :woman_shrugging:t2:

Oh wait they’re the stupid people right :thinking: :wink:

I don’t find K&J to be entertaining at all, but I wouldn’t be silly enough to suggest that the people who do are stupid…

Yes. You could probably run wall to wall music with no ads and still rate simple numbers…

Ah, I guess she’ll be around for a while then :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t think you know the meaning of haemorrhage! And yes I looked it up and turns out they are the same thing!!

You obviously don’t listen to the show so how would you know??? And the people in Sydney and Adelaide don’t necessarily think W and W are funny they just think that their breakfast show is going to be just as entertaining as their drive show which it’s not. And no they have not increases their share in Melbourne, I don’t think you know that H and K on KIIS1011 last year hovered around a 10% share, Will and Woody are on a 7% share in Melbourne don’t see how that’s an improvement from last year??? You must a have a special mind!

Just don’t wink please

Haemorrhage is a noun, and not an adjective, so you can’t say that “a 5% share” is a “haemorrhage”. Haemorrhaging, on the other hand, is a verb.

In the original context, I was referring to the fact that between 4pm and 12am, KIIS loses (or haemorrhages) listeners. Grammatically, that’s fine. Is it good analysis? I’ll leave that for someone else to say, but judging by the conversations had in this thread it may be in part due to the quality of their nights offering.

No-one was comparing Hughesy and Kate to Will and Woody: the fact is that Will and Woody’s show is gaining audience share in Melbourne from Survey 1, 2018.

You can’t compare audience share percentages like that.

If you look at the average audience per 15 minutes, Will & Woody / K&J has 47,000 listeners in Melbourne. Ash London / Collective Noun has 14,000.

Try Bridget Hustwaite on triple j’s Good Nights - she’s done a brilliant job carrying on from Linda in my view.

Well…

2 Likes