Media Spy: History and Memories

There was a user who I think was called ‘mercat’ that was disturbingly obsessed with Jo Hall back in the early days of Media Spy. I remember reading the (then) National Nine News thread from around 2006-07 and there were pages and pages of caps with Hall presenting that he’d uploaded, complemented by some rather creepy comments.

5 Likes

Yeah it was definitely Mercat. God that brings back some memories. A user called BUCKIE had a similar obsession with Mel Doyle’s legs IIIRC.

It was almost like two boards for a while, those who came to discuss media and those who came to ogle presenters and never appear elsewhere in the forum.

8 Likes

I wonder where our No.1 Mark Ferguson fanboy @antonio1987 has been recently :wink:

3 Likes

Ah yes, I remember mercat. I wonder if he’s moved into the Victorian bush to watch one of Nine’s regional bulletins. :rofl:

3 Likes

Gawd, I just hope there weren’t any paedophiles on there… Never knew about this site until around 2016.

That wouldn’t be something you’d want out publicly. There were no news presenters under the age of 18, so that would not have been a problem anyway. Just creepy people drooling over Jo Hall and Mel Doyle. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yup same with my Gyngell thread.

And five years later for my meme thread and State of Origin smack thread.

Basically the admins are fascists.

3 Likes

We’re fascist-lite now.

I remember being made a mod like in 2008 and seeing some of the old mod threads. Basically ruled like an iron fist. Mr. Q had moderating blitz weekends if I recall where nothing out of line by posters was tolerated.

4 Likes

20 Likes

That takes me back…:rofl:

1 Like

I remember those.

Guess you lot now know who I was in the pre-discourse days. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes I do :smile:

You have had at least two other usernames that I can think of.

Oh god yeah. i think i signed up in 2008. I was an absolute tool back then. Its like going back to old facebook posts and cringing and then deleting. Although I’m still i bit of a tool.

1 Like

The war over signature supremacy between Seven and Nine fans would be one of my favourite memories.

12 Likes

I think that reference is more accurate for me rather than you. The reason being that I used to fanboy Seven a lot back in the day and was quite delusional for a long time to think that Seven deserved to be No.1.

1 Like

Going back to 2012-13, who could ever forget a particular member and his obsession with (of all things) the globe used in Seven News’ graphics of the time?! Not sure what he’s up to these days, but I think he was last on the forums around Early 2015-ish.

Ahh, yes. The Qarlo anomaly.

Quarlo? I thought it was Evo or Evulant.

I remember when he described someone in the Federal Politics thread as having down syndrome, and then everyone reacted, so he edited it and claimed it never happened and that we were lying. The Gestapo-lite made short work of him.

I think Qarlo was his last username before disappearing.

Good. Thought we needed a thread for this :slight_smile: