Nine Radio (Music)

My Melbourne, copying My Canberra and My Perth? They are dreary stations though.

1 Like

X Analogue - All Static, All Hit

2 Likes

That’s the obvious solution. But they should have a slightly rockier playlist a bit like oldies x classic rock with that host talent.

The good news is the recent poor ratings is going to put more pressure on MML to yet again go with a format change.

Anything could happen.

3 Likes

I think they need to give all the rugby league and afl to MSR if they were more serious. Whilst they dont do this it unlikely they will get solid ratings.

Invest in getting shows like they did on foxtel like Sterlo etc a couple of big names. Local programming… The list goes on. Its expensive to do well in sport. If they get the networks higher profile stars that will be a good starting point.

1 Like

By the time they’re finished with them, MRN won’t be able to sell them for much. Perfect for SEN.

Yes, they can run sport on the weekends and nights, sport drive show a la 5AA and the rest?

Of course, do what 5AA do.

Successful talk radio. Brisbane needs one local commercial talk station, Sydney can support an alternative.

Get the research right and never let up on it. Rack the brains of those who got 5AA working well when DMG bought it in 96.

Paul Thompson is only 75 and enjoying the view over Adelaide with his darling wife, put him on retainer and you have a very experienced ‘phone a friend’.

Unfortunately, I think it may be too much effort for Craig whose stations operate on the smell of an oily rag.

CBS’ purchase of 10 shows that investors are running their eye over Aus media assets, but they’re looking for bargains and that they will get from MRN.

And to all, enough of the country talk, we know it doesn’t work in Melb. Plenty more useful format holes to serve.

Another dreary station. Kevin had to have ‘Eagle’ used in Goulburn after the aborted use in Perth and seemingly after the roaring ‘success’ (height of sarcasm if you don’t know the story) of X 13 in Newcastle, felt like it should be used in Perth.

It’s very simple and the playlist to me didn’t match what is new release CHR music.

That said, the ladies working at my local ice cream/dessert shop had it running for a few weeks.

Recent record poor ratings. Let’s hope so, keep flipping MRN and eventually it might sell.

1 Like

Bridgitte Duclos is going on a holiday to England for three or four weeks hope Red Symons is going to fill in for her alongside Bill Woods Red Symons is Popular he wll bring listeners with him to MacQuarie Sports Radio 1278 MacQuarie Sports Radio will; go up against the Saturday morning proghrams an BC radio Melbourner, SYdney & Brisvane +Macca & the Sunday Programs ibb 9ydney, Melbourne & Brusbane + sammi & JAacinta in Melbourne & the breakfast Hosts in sydney & Brisbane & the other daytime Hists bin Sydney< Melbourne & Brisbane and tyhe weekday prograns + Macca & te Ciodabeen championjs.

While ever the content is AFL dominated Sydney listeners will tune out. My workplace has the radio on all day. We gave MSR a go. No one wanted to keep listening except for the Breakfast show . However, we flicked that after last week. Beau Ryan just too stupid, talking over the top of everyone, just generally rude while trying to be “funny”

3 Likes

No he wouldn’t

3 Likes

Such a long & popular thread, so please excuse me if this subject is a duplicate of someone else’s.

It might be wrong on this, but it appears to me that since the latest dismal radio ratings were released this week of Macquarie Sports Radio, that (from my listening) 2GB very promptly commenced promotional on air adverts for MSR this week and I might add a regular repetitive cycle of the MSR adverts.

3 Likes

They also had a adverisment in the programme at the reds vs sunwolves game last night (hope they didn’t pay too much for that - the crowd was a shade over 11k)

3 Likes

Then more people heard that advertisement at the ground than there would have listening to MSR Brisbane last night. Average evening audience is 1,000, cumulative evening audience is 6,000; both figures are probably rounded up!

3 Likes

Talk with those commissioning the surveys, that is definitely a round up. There is also a favourable weighting to encourage rounding up instead of the dreaded asterisk *.

We are at the * point for MSR, it’s simply that CRA have been leant on by these underperforming, mismanaging managements who are crying out for slack to be cut for them.

No surprise why radio despite its inherent qualities is not grabbing the ad revenue it should. It’s undermined by its own operators fudging figures of an already dated measurement ‘system’.

3 Likes

Is this a reflection on some areas of the corporate world and politics today where managers or directors speak buzz words but everyone in the room knows it’s a bad idea but no one speaks out. Just feel there is more spin these days rather than looking at facts and figures or simply doing the best thing for the success of the station with real logic. 2gb wanted to eliminate it’s main competition which it has done. Now what’s next ? Just more spin? Why not move AFL and NRL completely over to these stations? Or they are worried it will not succeed? So why have a sports station then?

Rant over…I must admit I do repeat myself sorry guys. I look forward to the cricket season so will tune in then.

2 Likes

Of other major networks are managing to keep two stations afloat then why is it so difficult for MML?

ARN is proof you can work towards having #1 and #2 without cannibalising each other.

Learn from others. It can be done and listeners can be the winners too.

5 Likes

Yes you are 100% correct. Sadly this is a reflection of much of the corporate sector these days. They are so busy trying to spin bad results into good results they are unable to fix the bad results. It’s a kind of self inflicted paralysis. How can they fix something they won’t admit is broken.

1 Like

hard work we bring success for MacQyarue S[ports Radio wait & see.

My thoughts also, if Macquarie were even half serious they would have moved all sport from 2GB/3AW to MSR regardless of ratings, contractual arrangements etc.

6 Likes

Agree 100 percent.

Jason I have no doubt the staff do work hard as they did with TLS. If they got the high profile AFL and NRL shows it would help.

1 Like

If the Continuous Call moved to MSR then George and Paul on 2GB could get back their lost two hours.

4 Likes