Nine Radio (Music)

For obvious reasons, I’m pretty sure nobody would want to co-host a show with Don Burke these days…

1 Like

No they own 1.5 stations in Brisbane.

Nova 106.9 and half of 97.3

I would love them to launch Smooth 882 though.

It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of the Brisbane LAP review in early 2019. Nova would surely love to launch Smooth on FM in Brisbane, and Perth.

1 Like

Smooth is the hottest brand in radio Soft AC is the Hottest format in the USA atm with Philadelphia & Sacramento recently launching with The Breeze & a lot of other centres & into Canada will be using The Breeze Soft AC format.
Yes there’s a major gap in the market in Brisbane for smooth. could 97.3 relaunch as Smooth 97.3 yes it’s part owned by ARN, Nova Entertainment.
But with 97.3 on a downward spiral what is there to lose ?

3 Likes

^

1 Like

Yes I’ve always said 97.3 needs to “smoothify” a little. They could still skew a little younger than Smooth in Sydney and Melbourne but still head more soft AC. Their current format is awful. I doubt ARN would have the balls or the smarts to do a full relaunch as Smooth 97.3 but if they did IMO they’d be a clear No 1. As an aside when Vega launched in Sydney and Melbourne they did in fact register the domain for Vega 97.3

5 Likes

MSR will not go down in history the same way that Vega or Magic 11 have been recorded.

MSR will go down in history the same way that 2UE’s transformation into CBC has gone down. And if your asking what CBC refers to - then I have made a fair point.

Apart from a few random mentions on the internet - CBC is all but forgotten…but it was an interesting couple of hours.

3 Likes

My view, I would consider to have a SWR style format.
Have from the 60s to today music format. Have local breakfast shows bring back 2ue, 4bh and 3ee. Allow each dj have some control of the music. In Sydney have Busco style breakfast show with sports updates. Bring back classic nine at nine and play music. Maybe a lunchtime requests show. Then bring back sports today 6pm to 8pm. Have an awesome 80s show (similar to SWR) between 8pm to 10pm. After 10pm bring back Mike Jefferies or Spoonman to have a talkback show to say 1pm or so. Still broadcast all cricket (dont use NTS), move all nrl to 2ue.

Done.

Slightly off topic but what do you think of the Rugby League and sport coverage on SWR?

Enjoyed RoCo radio tonight before the BBL. Believe it was only on 1278 though, not all the Network.

MacQuarue Sports Radio In February 2019 I read is likely to do crossovers with Nine’s Wide OF Sports this might mean Wide World Of Sportrs Talent and MSR’s Talent may well be shared by MSR & WWOS & MSR’s name may/will be changed to NIne’s Wide World Of Sports Radio Mark Levy & Mark Riddell ar at bit 2GB & MSR

If Sophie Monk was a Bachelorette and the Honey Badger was a Bachelor, don’t rule that out.

1 Like

I did once listen to a league game it was pretty good. I think it is good breeding ground for next gen. Of sports commentators.

I am sure the likes of Nick Bennett (filling in at 2ch), Rob Duckworth, Tim Webster, Mike Jeffreys and even the likes of Ian Macrae and Clive Robertson are all waiting in the wings for the next format change

5 Likes

I noticed he appears to be filling-in on weekdays at the moment.

Add Clinton Maynard and John Stanley to the list.

John is working across both 2GB and this disaster?

John would be waiting for a permanent gig again.

1 Like

Perhaps unkind and certainly not in the Christmas spirit but I always blamed Clinton Maynard as being the main instigator of the Talking Lifestyle format as his afternoon programme was first to trial the somewhat flawed format. I remember it being claimed as this brand new format, nowhere in the world was something similar and look how it ended up. Certainly Tim Webster also thought highly of the format and his morning programme at the time was amongst the worst of the worst. I have to agree, have all sport including the CCT on MSR and fill in the rest of the time with something compatible, whatever that may be.

1 Like

Sales and management would’ve dictated prior. He simply was the champion of it, hoping to keep his job naturally.

On a then 2UE Facebook group, Maynard was direct messaging many who criticized his show on Talking Lifestyle. He was dedicated to the cause.

1 Like