Nine Radio (Talk)

There’s been plenty of research done over the years showing that breakfast is the time of the day listeners most value radio being local

1 Like

There will only be one Nightline and that’s with Bruce And Phil

The ACMA have released a report into the conduct of Tony Jones on 3AW’s mornings, during the segment on a new Victorian Government ‘workbook’ on words that are discouraged.

The ‘workbook’ referenced words that are discouraged such as ‘husband’ and ‘wife’.

Tony Jones in the segment said the following,

I can understand terms like ‘d***’ and ‘f**’ being offensive, but please.

(Offence words have been bleeped out on this post)

Tony Jones then disputed the claim with Victorian Minister for Equally Martin Foley.
After eight minutes of talking over the top of the Minister, the interview ended with this.

Thank you. Martin Foley joining us there from the Victorian government. The point I make is this: is that that we should be just one community

Just a FYI and the ‘workbook’ was from 4 Years Ago according to the complainant.

The ACMA have found that 3AW was not in breach of the code.

The full report can be found on the ACMA website.

Grubby and Dee Dee are hosting breakfast on Talking Lifestyle for the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

Is 2GB planning on any significant promotional or marketing activity in the lead up to the next survey period? Or are they just going to allow smooth to take control?

Hopefully Miranda devine will be filling in for Steve Price next week.

I caught a bit of that today. More like tweedle and dee with a lots of nothing.

1 Like

Results of the current radio ratings survey will be released next week.

I’d imagine that MRN are very nervously waiting for Tuesday after 2GB was only 0.1% ahead of Smooth 95.3 in Survey #3!

If 2GB get knocked off it means their strategy to shift 2UE listeners over has failed… meaning TL may as well cease to exist.

I predict a change in the next 12-24mths for the TL brand.

2 Likes

Yep, I agree.

12-24 months? That’s a bit generous! I personally think there’ll probably be major changes to Talking Lifestyle by early next year, especially if their ratings continue to decline in all three markets.

I put TL on just before 7:00am to get the news and traffic, so listened to the breakfast show for a couple of minutes. DD was asking about the word ballistic, saying if you break it down the first part is ball so it could be about round missiles. The show should be called Dumb and Dumber. That did me and I was back to KOST LA.

1 Like

Media release from Melbourne’s Talking Lifestyle 1278:

Melbourne’s Talking Lifestyle has all of Melbourne talking. Morrison Homes has been sponsoring the morning shift with four 30 minute programs each week. Michael Daly, CEO of Morrison Homes, has been wondering why their major campaign with Talking Lifestyle has resulted in no extras sales. Michael said on Tuesday “our target market is home owners between the age of 30 - 54 and when we saw the ratings we realised that none of this age group listened to Talking Lifestyle. This was actually a relief as we thought there was something wrong with our product.”

Meanwhile Talking Lifestyle 1278 has been happy with their night time ratings of 0.3%. It a niche group of six people who have been thoroughly engaged with the program.

1278 would also like to highlight that their rating of 0.6% in the 55 - 64 year age group is only beaten by 3AW, SEN, Fox, Gold, Nova, KIIS, Triple M, Nova, ABC Melbourne, Triple J, ABC News, ABCFM and 3RN. Station Manager, Paul Dillon said “The 55 - 64 year olds are really enjoying the offering on 1278. Both listeners are happy with our wall to wall advertising”.

3 Likes

I predict TL will be gone in 12 months. Surely Macquarie will get better ratings with a niche music format. Go back to Magic 1278 and Magic 882. Heck even launch Magic 954 and I’m sure it’d rate better.

3 Likes

4pm in Melbourne this afternoon and the entire train network stops working. Trains stuck on the tracks for over an hour. Every train and every person on the train stuck. Taxis are hard to find and Uber starts surge charging.

3AW - covering it.
ABC Melbourne - covering it.
2GB - mention it with a five minute interview with a Melbourne reporter.

Talking Lifestyle 1278 - no mention of the crisis. In fact they were talking about “talking to strangers and how to start a conversation”.

I remember when 2UE used the slogan "Where You Don’t Miss A Thing"
Talking Lifestyle 1278 is more like “Where You Miss Everything”

An AM talk station with no news in drive time? You’re dreaming.

4 Likes

Keep in mind that’s the purpose of Talking Lifestyle. Hence, it is failing.

I agree with you thesub1

Although if I am stuck on a train for an hour that is part of my lifestyle. And if Uber are surge charging then my lifestyle may involve one less meal out next week. And If I am late for a dinner date then my whole future lifestyle may be at risk.

Some of the topic they deal with on Talking Lifestyle would be better suited to a station called Talking S*it.

I still think it’s staggering for 1278 to rate a zero for the under 55s and to rate a paltry 0.6% for 55 - 64 year olds (behind 3AW, SEN, Fox, Gold, Nova, KIIS, Triple M, Nova, ABC Melbourne, Triple J, ABC News, ABCFM and 3RN). Staggering.

They say it was a commercial decision to reformat this way. But with ratings like this, will there still be commercials?

1 Like

Good question thesub1

I am still bitter that someone - somewhere - in the last few years - took away my 2UE.

And its top quality news service.

4 Likes

I think it takes a certain skill for them to lose pretty much 100% of their audience so quickly.

But judging by their website it’s like they don’t even want anyone to tune in to them on AM anyway. No mention at all of their broadcast frequencies? Apart from “DIGITAL” in small font on their logo, you’d barely even know they were on DAB+ either.

https://www.talkinglifestyle.com.au/

1 Like

So given the situation do you think they will change Talking Lifestyle?

Do you think magic will come back in Melbourne & Brisbane? What about Sydney? Compete with 2ch? I think they are worried they compete with 2GB.

Looking at 2CH’s figures I wonder if MMN are regretting letting go of the wrong station.