Internet Radio Apps & Devices

Totally agreed. RadioApp being in connected dashboards is its biggest strength IMO.

2 Likes

Listening to Triple M today. Plenty of mentions of the new LiSTNR app when promoting existing Podcast One programs like they normally do during the news.

Also just heard a reference during a Rush Hour promo saying “catchup or listen live on the LiSTNR app”.

I’ve installed LiSTNR on my phone and works mostly as intended. Does come up on Android Auto, and works just fine. However, I’d be adding ALL of the SCA stations and making it easier to access my local or favourites. For some reason, I see 2Day FM but not Triple M Sydney - instead I get Triple M Adelaide.

Steve Price will be fronting a new live breakfast show on LiSTNR, 7:00-10:00am. It is expected that John Burns will have a regular spot.

Source: The Australian

3 Likes

This sounds promising but LiSTNR needs to improve their presentation of live programs. Apparently I can listen to the AFL on the LiSTNR app but I couldn’t find this at all over the weekend. They also had the Michael Gudinski state memorial service live last week but I only found this by knowingly starting the Triple M Melbourne stream in the app.

Hopefully they can do something like what live streaming video services do (ie. Kayo, Stan Sport, Optus Sport) and clearly have tiles for their feature live programs at the top of the page in the app.

2 Likes

Details of Price’s new program/venture will be announced on Saturday:

2 Likes

Announced today.

3 Likes

The Australian has an interview with Steve Price that includes the names of other regulars on his LiSTNR breakfast show:

He will be doing the show from his home studio on the Mornington Peninsula.

Paywall:
The Australian | Broadcaster Steve Price slams rival breakfast radio shows as he launches new program

Edit: Also joining Price will be Paul Maric, who is the managing editor of CarExpert.

2 Likes

Price is obviously doing his show from the SCA radio studios in Melbourne this morning, and not from home as he said he would be.

2 Likes

Doesn’t look like Melbourne. Clarendon St South Melbourne is more low rise out the window. Is he in Adelaide or Sydney maybe?

1 Like

The constant ads for the same podcasts are very annoying. And playing an ad for the David Koch podcast twice in every break isn’t going to encourage me to listen to it.

1 Like

He is broadcasting from SCA studios in Sydney this morning. I recognise the building in the background on the left of the video clip as Mantra Sydney Central (formerly Breakfree on George hotel).

3 Likes

Thanks. I find it odd that they flew him to Sydney to launch the show.

2 Likes

I guess SCA wants to fix any technical hiccups before Steve returns home to continue hosting the show? Also Natarsha is based in Sydney.

5 Likes

The talkback element of the show doesn’t appear to be that successful so far. Only one call in the first 90 minutes, despite extensive plugging of the number by Price in each segment.

Probably doesn’t help that the core audience are rusted onto AM radio and wouldn’t know how to download the app in the first place. On that front, I find it odd that Price keeps plugging how to download the app during the show, but if you were listening to the show, you would have been successful in that exercise.

Probably a multitude of reasons, including so that they could have him and Natarsha in the same studio for the first day.

7 Likes

I’m still disappointed in the LiSTNR app. I opened the app several times this morning and I would have expected “Australia Today” to be front and centre with a “LIVE” tile. Instead it’s suggesting podcasts for me to listen to.

I then searched “Australia Today” and it took me to a 30 second trailer of the show instead of the live stream. A few more swipes, clicks and taps and eventually I finally found the live stream. No wonder they only had one talkback caller this morning! It needs massive improvement if SCA want more live content on this thing.

5 Likes

Therein lies the problem with this concept unless he can draw in a dedicated younger audience (unlikely). I see this more as an experiment than a legitimate go at establishing something permanent.

Agreed, had the same problem finding it this morning. The app has a terrible UI. Not a surprise considering it’s from SCA.

4 Likes

The only way Price’s new show will succeed is if SCA backs it with an extensive marketing campaign so that the core talkback audience a) Knows that the show exists and b) How they can access it

Isn’t that because segments of the show (if not the entire show itself) will be cut up and packaged into podcast episodes and hence people who listen via the podcast need to be made aware about how to listen to the show live?

3 Likes

Just heard Steve get half way through the 2GB talk back number “131 873” before correcting himself. Must be nearly 18 months since he was on 2GB but habits remain.

6 Likes

I consider myself fairly tech savvy but even I had issues finding the live stream this morning (Spending 10 mins trying to find it), all I could find was the podcast of the last show.

1 Like