Hubbl

Looks like they are borrowing again from Sky (UK) which has Sky Glass.

I suspect it must be the same TV but with Foxtel customised firmware.

1 Like

Yes. This was known almost 2 1/2 years ago when Sky Glass itself launched.
https://www.foxtel.com.au/about/media-centre/press-releases/2021/foxtel-group-sky-glass.html

5 Likes

Just a bit of funny news related to this Foxtel has released pricing and specs for Hubbl - though it’s under embargo til 9pm AEDT - after tonight’s launch.

Channel news leaks press release then quickly deletes it. :joy:

2 Likes
5 Likes

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/streaming/hubbl-launches-in-australia-and-promises-to-change-the-future-of-tv-and-streaming/news-story/d8ea2173ec722e2ed0189309e5ecd2df

I don’t really understand how this is different to Apple TV, Google TV Chromecast.

Especially when they say they’re different cause they show live tv. So do Apple TV, Google Chromecast and most Smart TV’s over 2018 with their in built FTA apps such as 7Plus and 9Now.

2 Likes

I wonder which company makes Hubbl Glass TV?

Really interested in how seamless the Live TV experience is and whether it’ll still just jump to the respective apps. Also whether or not it’ll have FAST channels, like the PlutoTV ones on 10 Play.

That would be one big (abeit old-school) differentiator.

The panel of the Sky Glass TV is supplied by TPV, one of the world’s largest panel makers. It combines the quantum dot technology made famous by Samsung’s QLED TVs with a direct LED backlight.

1 Like

They haven’t really sold this well. Tell me why I should give up my Apple TV 4K for Hubbl? There’s nothing different about Hubbl.

3 Likes

Yeah definitely no reason too. If anything this is aimed at the cheaper chromecast/google tv/fire stick end of the market at $99 for the puck - although Patrick Delaney revealed this was an introductory price time will tell if they can actually get away with selling this for much more than that. Even then compared to a chromecast with google tv this is/will be restrictive in the apps/services available. Yes they appear to have the main ones covered but if there’s just one other app/service you might want to use you’re better off elsewhere.

I have Apple TV 4K and it works fine. All the US sports streaming apps in one place

1 Like

The traditional TV guide feature might be of interest to some.

Hubbl also might deliver a better experience for their apps like Kayo - we’ll see.

1 Like

Well you’re not going to, unless you’re replacing your hardware or looking for a new smart TV. Most people will likely be the same, unless they’re really that keen to check it out.

It’s really about making the experience as simple as possible for people, content from all your subscriptions is aggregated and available from the one screen and probably a big selling point is you don’t need a Foxtel/Binge/Kayo subscription to use it.

It can also manage all of your billing and the more services you have, the more you save.

As well, it will feature all of the linear channels either by cable or through the various apps, and will support FAST channels if made available by the app.

Even though I’m a bit older I always get “excited” by new technology, set top boxes etc. but not by this! My Fetch does all this and records FTA shows too. I like to record to cut out the ads. There is nothing earth shattering about Hubbl!

3 Likes

No but you could bet your life they’ll shove shows in front of you and ‘encourage’ you to sign up to Binge/Kayo/Lifestyle to watch them

1 Like

If this thing had a HDD and the ability to record, then it would be pretty good but it’s a no from me.

3 Likes

Think you guys have missed how Hubbl will (apparently) differ itself from the competition - from the News.com.au article:

“Hubbl stands out from the pack by offering live TV without an aerial, seamless subscription management at the touch of a button, more discoverability and personalisation as well as allowing customers to stack up to five eligible streaming apps and save up to $15 per month on their subscriptions,” says Les Wigan, Managing Director of Hubbl.

Seems as if they will offer a way to bundle streaming apps together and offer a discount?

If it wasn’t for that, I’d see no reason for this service to exist.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen this, but the funny thing is when you see the photos of it, it clearly has a aerial. So I’m guessing they just left it as it was but the arial won’t work. lol.

Hubbl won’t allow DAZN (women’s soccer and NFL Game Pass) or NBA League Pass on