HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- News Coverage

Gogglebox in the UK featured a couple of segments on the Queen’s death this week with the news announcement and the King’s first speech.

Election coverage starts in Australia an hour or so before the polls close. And on Monday coverage is too long

Think about it though. Channel 9 announced it was starting at midday. As if 7 wasn’t going to follow. You can’t give your opponents a head start on any news story.

2 Likes

I’m slightly surprised they didn’t decide to one up Nine and start at 11:30am in all honesty.

1 Like

Being on air first for a big story can make a difference.

As discussed in the previous couple of posts, Seven and Nine will start at 12 noon on Monday, some 8 hours before the funeral begins. Way too early for the coverage. There will be too much padding.

And of course the shows that precede it will have lengthy portions of their shows dedicated to the Queen (aka Sunrise/Today, followed by The Morning Show/Today Extra and then Seven and Nine Morning News).

If Seven and Nine extended their Afternoon News on Monday for some ''pre-funeral talk" or Royal talk, id understand. But the way they over do their rolling coverage is too much.

3 Likes

Nines coverage has now switched over to Sky News coverage. I thought that Nine would be presenting until later in the night.

Can’t wait until it’s over. Seriously they are way over the top.

1 Like

Nine found that out when it came to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s wedding in 2018. While they started their coverage at 7pm AEST, Seven began at 4pm AEST. That decision was ultimately pivotal since not only did they win the ratings battle, the early start gave the network momentum which kept on building during the afternoon, into Seven News and then the wedding itself.

3 Likes

I think they are only starting that early just so we can see the coffin move from one place to another.

2 Likes

MSNBC has some coverage

2 Likes

Why should he be offended VIP treatment?

It’s about showing respect to our dearly loved Queen, Elizabeth the Faithful

1 Like

7 had no coverage overnight Friday night with AFL then repeats of Farmer and infomercials.
Weekend Sunrise started later on Saturday at 6am, then later again today at 7am. At least scaling it back a bit before a marathon tomorrow.

1 Like

After the special Nine News LAte, Nine went to Sky news with an occasional couple of minutes from BBC World until about 1:30pm. Then after an hour of programming it was back to Sky News until 5am when Weekend Today started.

5 Likes

Seven’s coverage overnight started around 5am from Sky then Sunrise stared at 7am.

5 Likes

We know they do it for news events anyway but it was so obvious the reactions to the Queens death wouldn’t be upon first hearing the news, even if that is how it was presented. They all had exactly the same clothes on for the Kings Speech broadcast 24 hours later.

1 Like
1 Like

Do we know if the funeral will be shown on any big screens in Australia? Eg Fed Square in Melbourne…

1 Like

Well I look forward to see what news there is in what will be close to 9 hours of filler

1 Like