HD Broadcasting

I remember this ad… you think they would have something similar going now.

Yeah I thought that would be the case. Hopefully in a week or two or by the launch date it would come back.

Maybe different TVs could be getting it while others don’t

But maybe at least ten could have said a slide coming soon. Different networks do different things.

Have anybody seen a promo of ten HD coming soon or not?

Some TVs would ignore a channel with no video or audio feed, which has been what Ten have broadcast so far.

That’s a different one. I’m sure the new one will probably have a different logo and promo.

That one in the late 2009 was MPEG 2. I haven’t seen a full time TEN HD yet but I saw a part time DDT Ten HD at the time when I was living in Darwin. That was eventually replaced by a southern cross 24 / 7 loop before one HD came along.

I’m sort of expecting it to just appear and start broadcasting too.

I hope regional Qld where I am gets it , probably will have to wait. Not sure if SC10 is prepared or going to launch at the same time.

Then why did win and nine show promos of the channels?

will the logo of 10 HD be the same or different this time?

I have my doubts. Southern cross covers a fairly big area, covering regional wild, NSW, sa and vic as well as Tasmania, Darwin smf central Australia so it will probably be some time before its up and running

Nine is not Ten. Different ways of doing things.

1 Like

Exactly.

Nine constantly promoted and hyped up the Nine HD/9Life launches as “an important evolution in Australian entertainment” for about a month prior to November 26. Knowing Ten, they probably wouldn’t say that they’re even launching a HD channel until about three days before the switch happens! :stuck_out_tongue:

Did SC10 ever have the main channel in HD ?

Didn’t SC10 launch Eleven and One the same time as Ten did ?

I remember SC launched one Hd about 6 months after ten did. I think 11 was quicker. I have no idea if there was a SC Ten HD but I doubt it. I wont be holding my breath for new channels via SC or Prime7

Yet I wasn’t expecting Win to be in HD this soon but only 3 and a bit months people will have to wait in some areas.

I think they did. I remember seeing DDT ten Darwin HD for a while, but it wasn’t full time HD. It was one year after ten Darwin launched in 2008.

But after that it was a very very boring 24 / 7 loop full of attractions from SC ten. It was so frustrating to see I thought to myself they might as well switch it off.

Back in those days there was no true full time HD broadcasting.

There was no official dates given yet for WIN HD launching or was there?

“Ten HD” as in the HD multichannel that had the extra programming and things like Ten News at 5:30 - no, SC10 never had any of that. They did however have a HD simulcast that went to the demo loop during ads or non-HD programming.

My recollection of the issue is that regional broadcasters had one set of playout for both the HD channel and the SD channel. That was mostly fine when they were the same thing, but caused problems when their content started to split, as obviously the multichanneled content wouldn’t have ad breaks timed perfectly with the SD channel.

If memory serves (it’s been nearly a decade for most of this stuff!) during SD programming when they ran just the loop, it would for a split second fade out and in again whenever the SD channel went to ads because it was flipping between the loop as programming and the loop as ads.

Prime were able to show Seven HD’s multichanneled content - but I think they essentially just broadcast a dirty feed of it - bypassing their usual playout, with only the addition of a Prime HD watermark to distinguish it.

2 Likes

ABC News 24 is in full HD in places on Foxtel, or at least looks it.

And it never went SD on Foxtel. It still has the tag HD on the EPG.

They have the email addresses of the managers at SC10 for each location on the SC10 contact us/locations webpage.

I’ve sent off an email to the nearest office to me asking if they will launch SC10 in HD this year if at all.

TV Tonight’s rumour article says at the end :

“All of TEN’s markets are now understood to be HD capable”

So this could mean SC10 ? Or would they mean all of Ten’s metro areas ?

Well TEN’s markets are TEN’s markets and SC10’s markets are SC10’s markets. SCA affiliate with TEN so they don’t need to come up with their own schedule to fill. But TEN have no control over what SC10 do directly.

As I’m sure we all know by now, Network Ten only directly broadcast to the five main metropolitan markets. Those are the only markets guaranteed to have access to Ten HD from day 1.

If your outside a metro market, please direct those questions about a HD main channel to Southern Cross Austereo or whoever is responsible for operating the Network Ten affiliate in your region. To say the least, it was quite annoying how many regional people vented their anger at Nine (not realising that WIN, NBN or Imparja is responsible for providing Nine Network programing to their area) for not being able to receive Nine HD.