HD Broadcasting

I’ve made it yellow. That’s the best I think I can do.

5 Likes

Running 7HD in MPEG 2 in regional qld would mean some people would lose access to 7’s main channel (with no SD simulcast), which probably wouldn’t go down well with those viewers…

2 Likes

Thanks for all the positive comments about my post everyone!

Because of MediaHub.
MediaHub was designed to be used by other broadcasters in a range of different scenarios. They therefore operate with spare capacity and have a setup that allows them to easily expand and add new equipment when necessary. Therefore activating WIN HD was little more than just flicking a switch.

That was a comment referring to a specific scenario in which 7SD becomes 7HD using 7mate’s HD encoder and 7mate becomes SD using 7SD’s encoder - a scenario that would get the main channel in HD without needed new equipment. In this scenario, the main channel would no longer be available in SD - hence why it’s not a feasible option.

3 Likes

Unfortunate in this era that we’re still at a stage where not being able to provide an SD simultcast of a channel is holding back the move to HD.

Where is BCM?
I’m currently in Melbourne on holidays, staying in an apartment at Docklands, is BCM located inside the building with 7 Melbourne written on it near Etihad stadium?

3 Likes

Yes. Everything for 7 Melbourne is in that building.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Early 2003 IIRC, might have been 2002…

So how come 9 is the only catchup service in HD ?

Obviously that would never happen. Not sure why that scenario was even proposed.

And again no one would ever propose doing that!

Because the networks got a specific legislative change to allow it to happen - which had the strange side effect of making some people think the networks might have been considering doing that…

2 Likes

I’m back in North Queensland after spending the last week on holidays in Melbourne.

After enjoying some Commonwealth Games in HD in Melbourne, I just can’t fathom that it’s in SD at home, while “Pawn Stars” is available in HD on 7mate.

Obviously I understand the reasons explained here for why 7 are unable to have the main channel in HD here, but if they really are constrained by their equipment, why not just simulcast 7’s coverage on 7mateHD here for the duration of the games.

The ratings clearly show that more people are interested in watching the Games than “Pawn Stars” and “Swamp People”.

Simulcast the games coverage from 7 on 7mate in Regional QLD for the duration of the comm games… it can’t be that hard!

2 Likes

So what happens with the AFL I assume its in HD on 7mate y/n?

7Mate is in HD in regional Queensland including any AFl matches covered.

Just livestream Ch 7 in HD on Plus7 for free ?

I think they would be concerned about alienating local advertisers if a HD feed was made available without their ads on it.

1 Like

Why? The HD channels are localized too, so they could run the same ads.

I was under the impression that 7mate HD in QLD only had a “north” and “south” feed.

But if they do have 7 different HD feeds, I then assume that under the scenario that @NQCQTV2 is suggesting of simulcasting 7 on 7mateHD, it would mean no 7mate in regional QLD for the duration of the Games, which would mean no AFL, which would probably be in breach of their AFL contract.

7mateHD is a local feed in each market with local ads, etc.

I see no reason why they can’t still run the AFL on 7mateHD whenever needed, and just replace “normal programming” with Comm Games coverage simulcast when available.

1 Like

That’s 7flix.

2 Likes