HD Broadcasting

This seems like the most logical reason.

Currently they have:

• 7 Cairns
  • 7 Townsville
  • 7 Mackay
  • 7 Rockhampton
  • 7 Wide Bay
  • 7 Sunshine Coast
  • 7 Toowoomba
  • 7TWO Cairns
  • 7TWO Townsville
  • 7TWO Mackay
  • 7TWO Rockhampton
  • 7TWO Wide Bay
  • 7TWO Sunshine Coast
  • 7TWO Toowoomba
  • 7mate HD Cairns
  • 7mate HD Townsville
  • 7mate HD Mackay
  • 7mate HD Rockhampton
  • 7mate HD Wide Bay
  • 7mate HD Sunshine Coast
  • 7mate HD Toowoomba
  • 7flix North QLD
  • 7flix South QLD
  • Racing.com (MPEG-4)

24 feeds.

Adding in MPEG-4 7HD they’d change to:

• 7 Cairns
  • 7 Townsville
  • 7 Mackay
  • 7 Rockhampton
  • 7 Wide Bay
  • 7 Sunshine Coast
  • 7 Toowoomba
  • 7TWO Cairns
  • 7TWO Townsville
  • 7TWO Mackay
  • 7TWO Rockhampton
  • 7TWO Wide Bay
  • 7TWO Sunshine Coast
  • 7TWO Toowoomba
  • 7mate Cairns
  • 7mate Townsville
  • 7mate Mackay
  • 7mate Rockhampton
  • 7mate Wide Bay
  • 7mate Sunshine Coast
  • 7mate Toowoomba
  • 7HD Cairns (MPEG-4)
  • 7HD Townsville (MPEG-4)
  • 7HD Mackay (MPEG-4)
  • 7HD Rockhampton (MPEG-4)
  • 7HD Wide Bay (MPEG-4)
  • 7HD Sunshine Coast (MPEG-4)
  • 7HD Toowoomba (MPEG-4)
  • 7flix North QLD
  • 7flix South QLD
  • Racing.com (MPEG-4)

31 feeds.

3 Likes

As frustrating as it is for those of us on MS or peeps that appreciate the better PQ, I doubt anyone else in regional Qld notices they don’t have 7 in HD. Living in Melbourne and being used to the Metros, when I’ve been home to Rocky, I’ve changed my mum’s and sister’s TVs so the HD channels are the main ones they see but they’ve never noticed the difference. I think 7 aren’t too worried because they think everyone else is the same and can’t tell the difference between SD and HD.

It seems like such an effort just so a HD watermark can be inserted on top of the existing feed. If only Seven invested in equipment at each transmission site that did that for them without the need for BCM to playout duplicate channels. When Prime HD launched last decade, they installed equipment at each site that would play local advertising over the top of a statewide HD feed. It was synced with the playout and was triggered by a hidden code in the feed. Genius idea.

Meanwhile, Nine and Ten have a completely opposite attitude towards HD.

3 Likes

I thought 7Mate HD in regional QLD used the same ad feed across the state?

I see the issue as additional HD encoders being required to allow the various local news bulletins and ads to go to each market on the HD channel.

It will happen one day.

2 Likes

No - each market is separate including watermark.

6 Likes

Nope, you’re thinking of 7flix. From what I can tell with the online streams, there are as many localised 7mate’s as there are 7’s. So it seems like Seven have the capacity to swap 7mate for 7 across Regional Qld. We also know their transmission sites are capable of outputting MPEG-4 channels. What isn’t certain is if they’re able to transport an additional SD channel to their sites, or if their equipment at BCM can handle simulcasting the 7 service.

1 Like

7, 7Two and 7Mate have different feeds for each sub-market and 7Flix (as I’ve been reminded tonight) has a North/South feed. Only the racing channel is state wide.

2 Likes

Okay, so the ads are localized on 7mate HD, but I’d imagine the programming is the same statewide.

But does that necessarily that they can output the different local news bulletins on the HD channel though?

1 Like

No local news on Mate, it’s on 7Two which is SD

I don’t know for sure, but I’d imagine if Seven can insert local advertising on each 7mate service, then they can insert local news/programming too.

2 Likes

ON the Gold Coast the SD channel carries the local news while the HD channel continues with the Brisbane feed. They could use that system regionally as well.

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know that. Further evidence Seven doesn’t really take HD as seriously as their competitors.

1 Like

Although I think Regional Queensland advertisers would complain if their ads aren’t seen by local viewers on the HD channel! And would Seven really be happy if regional viewers were watching Seven News Queensland live on LCN-70 instead of the local/condensed state edition they’re supposed to be seeing?

Seven Gold Coast probably runs the exact same ads (despite the localised watermark, promos and late afternoon programing to accompany the 5.30pm local news bulletin) as the main Seven Brisbane feed. With both that and the fact that Seven Gold Coast airs the full hour of Seven News Queensland live every night, it mightn’t matter as much if the Gold Coast can watch the main Seven Brisbane feed on LCN-70.

2 Likes

Replacing 7mate’s HD with 7HD isn’t the answer.
Firstly, that HD gear may not be MPEG-4 compatible, but it would also leave no gear for 7mate to still be broadcast in SD as the main channel will still require the same gear to broadcast the SD version. It would require new gear as it is still adding a channel, despite it being the same content.

It is my understanding that 7flix (for the whole of Australia) is played out of MediaHub (or it was to begin with anyway) as BCM didn’t have the capacity to accomodate it - that’s why Seven didn’t use it for the Olympics as it would be a lot more complicated to out something on it live.

2 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:1284, topic:279”]
Seven Gold Coast probably runs the exact same ads (despite the localised watermark, promos and late afternoon programing to accompany the 5.30pm local news bulletin) as the main Seven Brisbane feed.
[/quote]Correct. Between 4.30 and 6.00 the ad breaks on both channels are the same length and play the exact same ads. The only difference is that any news promos are a version that includes both Brisbane and Gold Coast presenters.

1 Like

Isn’t RACING.COM one nationwide feed across Seven?

Yes it is, and still is

1 Like

If I was in control of broadcasting, etc., I’d severely reduce the bitrate of the MPEG-2 simulcast channels, and put most of it into 3 x MPEG-4 HD channels.

I’d have:
07: 7 SD -------------> 3.0 mbps (MPEG-2)
70: 7 HD ------------> 4.0 mbps (MPEG-4)
72: 7Two HD -----> 3.5 mbps (MPEG-4)
73: 7mate HD ----> 3.8 mbps (MPEG-4)
74: 7Two -----------> 2.1 mbps (MPEG-2)
75: 7mate ----------> 2.1 mbps (MPEG-2)
76: 7flix -------------> 2.4 mbps (MPEG-2)
78: Racing.com → 1.1 mbps (MPEG-4)

Obviously, the MPEG-2 channels wouldn’t look fantastic, but that would hopefully encourage more people to utilise the HD channels.

2 Likes

For those in signal overlap areas like Sydney, Central Coast, Gold Coast, etc., the way it is currently is actually a positive thing – i.e. I get to have both 7 and 7mate in HD. Though I can see why those who can only get the regional affiliates’ signals would prefer to have 7HD.

4 Likes

More likely encourage them to watch another network. It’s not like 7Two and 7Mate are must watch TV - similar content can be found on other channels.

2 Likes

After the switchover with WIN, many other Channel 9 Affiliates don’t have HD yet. Murrumbidgee, Mildura, Griffith, WA have primary Channel in SD. It is about that Channel 5 should get it in HD.