HD Broadcasting

Totally agree.
Make GO! HD

Yeah, I would hope they’d make 9Go! the HD channel.
9Gem shows nearly nothing worth watching in HD.

As long as they moved the sport thats currently on 9Gem over to 9Go, it would be great.

6 Likes

If I had to choose all the HD channels for all networks:

ABC, ABC News (24)
7, 7mate
9, GO!
Ten, (One or Eleven, I wouldn’t mind really :stuck_out_tongue: )
SBS, Viceland ( :stuck_out_tongue: )

4 Likes

My wishlist for HD channels from the networks would probably be something like this:

ABC, ABC2 - I’d say ABC News but they don’t do HD production yet!
Seven, 7mate
Nine, 9Go!
Ten, Eleven

Probably more realistically, to include all multichannels that have been in HD before…

ABC, ABC News
Seven, 7mate
Nine, 9Gem
Ten, One

4 Likes

More likely:

22 Likes

Now I want SBS Food HD.

6 Likes

Complete with smell-o-vision

4 Likes

And Taste-o-Vision :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

My Wishlist for HD.

Seven - Seven HD / 7Two

Nine - Nine HD / 9Life

Ten - Ten HD / ONE

Community TV, C31HD

SBS - SBS HD / SBS Food Network

ABC - ABC HD / ABC2.

4 Likes

Press the FOOD button on your remote for free delivery of this meal to your door!

5 Likes

You’d think in this day and age all channels would be in HD, but I’m not that educated in the technical side of things, but considering all the other technology we have…

They all should be in HD, except the shopping channels and that promotion for old Crawford’s DVDs WIN Gold.

3 Likes

The infomercial channels could probably broadcast in 240p with something like 64kbps of audio and even then, I’d probably still want them off the air.

Otherwise, I completely agree that all channels should broadcast in MPEG4 HD but I doubt that will happen for a few years yet! I’m not sure if it’s just me, but SBS HD (LCN-30, of course) if anything looks clearer with the switch to MPEG4 despite presumably having it’s bitrate cut in half to accommodate SBS VICELAND HD.

4 Likes

It’s because of the combination of limited bandwidth and old TV tuners out there that don’t support newer (more efficient compression) broadcast technologies (MPEG4 or even newer; plus the lack of software/firmware updates for the old receivers; they’d rather sell you a new TV).

The only other hope which briefly existed was when NBN was fibre-to-the-premises as that has enough bandwidth for everything to be available in HD or even UHD/4k, but since certain politicians had to destroy the NBN, now that future is dead.

I applaud SBS for what they’ve just done, and I hope others follow.
Seven went backwards a while ago; not long after launching 7flix in MPEG4 they changed it to MPEG2, so I’m not too hopeful they will but I agree that Nine probably will.

7 Likes

That’s scenario is different though since you’re talking about an additional channel which a certain percentage of the population weren’t able to receive due to have incompatible TVs/STBs. SBS launching Viceland HD didn’t see anyone lose access to Viceland whilst providing a ‘bonus’ for those who can receive MPEG4 channels.

1 Like

When they switched to MPEG-2, figured briefly spiked before returning to what they had been. Seven had the right idea though: launching an MPEG-4 only channel is a good way to force people to adopt the technology.

IMO, each network should be forced by legislation to make one of their multichannels MPEG-4 only to force people to upgrade, then by 2025/2030 we can make all channels MPEG-4.

6 Likes

So finally SBSHD is now MPEG-4 ? Cue the complaints about people saying the channel has gone missing on their MPEG-2 tv…

and

How much of the content on SBS and VICELAND is in HD?
Almost all SBS and SBS VICELAND content is in HD. All materials delivered to SBS in HD will be broadcast in HD (including any live sporting events). Some older program which pre-date HD and were therefore not produced in HD, will not be available in HD.

I thought someone said here it was upscaled?

1 Like

The international news is upscaled. I haven’t watched much else, though I believe someone said that the soccer was in native HD.

2 Likes

The soccer yesterday afternoon certainly was in native HD and I think the movies on last night were too.

AFAIK, The Feed is also produced in HD (at the very least, The Feed stories from over the last few years can be seen in full HD on YouTube) and will probably be shown in that format tomorrow night.

2 Likes

The Feed replay on SBS has been in HD for a while so no reason why it won’t be on Viceland :slight_smile:

5 Likes