HD Broadcasting

6am tomorrow, apparently.

I was hoping it was midnight. Damn :frowning: (

I would’ve thought that they’d do the changes for ABC News 24/ABC HD in the middle of the night (like at 3am or something) when pretty much nobody is watching, to minimise any possible disruptions to viewers.

In any case, it’ll be rather interesting to see how much content is shown in native HD on ABC HD when it launches. Hopefully a little more than what we got from Ten when they (re)launched their main channel simulcast in March which initially showed barely anything in native HD and is to some extent, still lacking in it’s amount of native HD content compared to the HD channels of some other networks.

2 Likes

ABC HD is on air in Brisbane and regional Queensland

Regional

6 Likes

Comments so far - no HD elements broadcast. Programs (golf, rage) , promos, adverts for ABC shop etc have been in SD.

As advised, MPEG4. Sound is 2 channel. ABC24 now SD.

Bit rates:

ABC 4.97
ABC2 3.87
ABCMe 1.41 (static)
ABC24 4.15
ABCHD 3.95

JJ 0.139
Jazz 0.139

On air in Melbourne too.
The watermark looks SD to me - definitely not as sharp as the watermarks on the other HD channels.

2 Likes

It seems as though they are getting the transmitters working first and the HD play out will come later this morning.

2 Likes

Foxtel cable - channel 202

Is that 9HD channel a mock? Never recall the HD having a 3D element.

3 Likes

ABC HD is looking good!

It wasn’t at 4 am, with Silent Witness looking very much SD.

I thought they would use MPEG-2 to reach as many people as possible, like SBS does. My PVR won’t like this new channel.

Very underwhelming…all SD upconverted as it appears here in Brisbane.

Yes - all broadcast elements so far upscaled (and not that well either).

Also as of this morning still broadcasting tuning advice for “tomorrow”

2 Likes

So let me get this right. Even though ABC is going out on an HD channel signal now - absolutely nothing is actually being broadcast in HD

Promos, IDs, graphics, programming - all this far is SD?

This is worse than Ten

Does SBS air promos, programming and ads in HD?

Give them time. Does it honestly matter? At least you have the channel now.

1 Like

It twas trumpeted at the end of the news in Melbourne last night, so maybe at least that will be in proper HD tonight.

ABC HD FAQ’s says “our news services are not in HD.”

@Bluejays1985 Yea it matters. We should demand more. HD has been established in the rest of the world for 10 years now. Broadcasting SD content on an HD channel is pointless

4 Likes

Promos

News

1 Like

Which makes me wonder why was ABC News 24 broadcast in HD before today?

2 Likes