HD Broadcasting

7HD will probably launch once ABC HD is done and Seven realises they are the only network not broadcasting their main channel in HD.

I think I read somewhere they (7) have a streaming app that people will pay for HD in ?

There are actual official logos for 7HD and 7mateHD. Not very good ones (and havenā€™t really been used outside of TV guides), but they exist:

In any case, I personally find the addition of ā€œHDā€ on the watermarks somewhat pointless.

4 Likes

So is there a 7HD watermark in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth? I havenā€™t seen any screen caps.

some viewers might not know that they are watching the main channel simulcast in HD

Perth actually gets 7mate HD like Sydney & Brisbane but yeah, Iā€™m pretty sure there isnā€™t any ā€œHDā€ additions to the watermark on 7HD or 7mateHD. If there were, Iā€™m sure we wouldā€™ve seen some caps posted to the forums by now.

2 Likes

While I can see your point, I think until the day that the HD simulcasts move to the main LCNs (i.e. 7, 9, 10) rather than 70, 90, 13 or better yet the main channel is offered in HD only, I think the HD addition should stay on the watermark, personally.

1 Like

not aware of any HD specific watermark in Melbourne

2 Likes

But they probably recognised what a disappointment Ten HD was and decided it wasnā€™t worth the angst arising from viewer complaints about how little there was in HD.

Also that because Ten generates lower revenue, they wouldnā€™t have gotten the same return on that investment that they will with 9HD.

3 Likes

If some regional cable stations in the US can afford to go full time HD, I have no idea why ā€˜return on investmentā€™ is an excuse.

The BBC will be launching a 4K UHD channel next year (and already has every channel in HD), but Seven and the ABC havenā€™t even got normal HD (at least in my city).

6 Likes

Although all the main BBC channels are available in HD and for free itā€™s worth noting that this is on a national level. The only regional channels are BBC1 in the nations - basically there are 4 versions of BBC1 and then national versions of everything else. ITV have done a bit better though and got most, but not all, their regions in HD, whilst all of ITV and C4ā€™s digital channels are available in HD, though mainly behind a paywall.

France of course had a HD switchover a couple of months ago - turned of the SD signal one day and had everything in HD the next day. They did this by effectively closing the existing digital terrestrial platform and making the channels bid for slots on ther replacement HD platform.

1 Like

With a month or so until the Olympics it will be interesting to see if anything changes with 7. Will we see an announcement of widespread HD or will it stay as it is.

Not sure, weā€™ll probably know more closer to the date. Although hereā€™s my personal predictions of a few possible scenarios:

Maintaining the status quo: Most likely
Switching the HD channel in Sydney/Brisbane/Perth to the main channel for the duration of the Olympics only before going back to 7mateHD after the games, with regional QLD maintaining the status quo of 7mate as a MPEG2 HD channel: Less likely, but still possible.
Permanently switching the HD channel in Sydney/Brisbane/Perth to the main channel and launching an MPEG4 version of Seven in HD (with 7mate reverting to MPEG2 SD) in regional Queensland: Very unlikely.

1 Like

Why ?

Remember the reason why Seven is running with this two tier system of HD broadcasting again? AFL coverage! :wink:

Oh yeahā€¦ when is the AFL over then ?

Canā€™t they run a MPEG-4 7HD channel that would sort out the AFL stuff ?

Seems funny that the ABC will beat them too it with HD.

Late September, if Iā€™m not mistaken.

I have no idea whether the HD broadcasts of AFL are a contractual thing or whatever, but Sevenā€™s two tier system for HD really annoys me. And yes, I would be saying the exact same thing if Nine did something similar by having a Nine/9Gem split for HD due to NRL coverage!

Hopefully by the time the AFL is over this year they switch Sydney, Brisbane and Perthā€™s main channel to HD and then if enough of us force 7 to keep it that way they listen to viewers. Iā€™d rather watch 7 News and all the premium content they show on 7 in HD rather than 7mate.

2 Likes

Same! From the little Iā€™ve seen of it in recent times, the SD picture quality of Sevenā€™s main channel here in Sydney really is awful and dare I say worse than the quality on Plus7 livestreaming. All the more reason to hurry up and get the main channel in HD on in every market ASAP!

At the very least, Seven should have the main channel in HD for Sydney/Brisbane/Perth most of the time but with breakaway AFL programing from 7mate airing in HD for Sydney/Brisbane/Perth!

2 Likes

No wonder 7 and Presto are togetherā€¦ they both hate HD.

4 Likes

Iā€™d watch the main channel in HD rather than the secondary channels

1 Like