HD Broadcasting

I guess it is, as said above it is HD in Illawarra and it is also HD in Bendigo. Can @WAtvVideos check if it is HD in WA?

2 Likes

Would explain why the picture quality looked quite good tonight when I was watching it

1 Like

Does anyone know if metro and regional NSW and VIC viewers will get 7twoHD?

1 Like

In the UK, the BBC shut down their standard definition services, now only offering HD feeds only for satellite viewers.

I wonder if they’re gonna close down their Freeview SD channels next over there (which they should consider doing)

3 Likes

There’s very few HD channels on Freeview here though

I think in the UK that’d just be if over time they flip more multiplexes over to DVB-T2, it would be more UK to just flip a bunch of SD services over to MPEG-4, and then maybe squeeze in a small amount of extra HD services, but far more likely just add yet more SD channels, through their typical quantity over quality.

So far they haven’t crossed the streams, which maybe is something to do with their stat muxing capability or worries about old receivers, but at the moment as far as I can tell all the MPEG-4 SD services are on the HD/DVB-T2 multiplex, and the old DVB-T Freeview multiplexes are all SD (or sub SD

Australia’s in so much of a better state than the UK for HD content - we have more FTA HD channels than the UK in most markets - 7 (BBC1/2/3/4, ITV1, 4, 5) vs 12 (7, Mate, Bravo, 9, Gem, 10, Bold ,ABC, SBS, Viceland, World Movies, NITV) in the major metros.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed lately that very few HD channels still have HD in their watermark. In fact, in Sydney the only HD channels which still have HD are:

SBS HD (all the time)
7 HD (only some of the time e.g. during the test cricket).

But 7 HD Wollongong doesn’t display HD at all.

2 Likes

NITV HD has one up permanently. SBS VICELAND HD also has one during sport. Pretty sure 10 BOLD during sport too but they may have stopped it now. There has been one spotted recently on 7mateHD in Regional Qld during sport as well.

1 Like

7mate via Seven has one during sports coverage, same as Seven.

1 Like

9Go! is next to Go! full HD from May 8th.
This seems to imply that 93 will continue to have the SD stream, with 99 being in HD.
Will also assume the 9Gem SD stream on 92 will be removed?

This will be a good improvement for the Australian Open and Nine’s other tennis tournaments too, with all FTA streams now in HD.

10 Likes

When will 7Two broadcast in HD

7 Likes

Why not relegate the SD feeds of 9Gem and 9Go! to the lower numbers and put the HD feeds on the “main” numbers 92 and 93.

Realistically, how many people nowadays have non-MPEG-4 HD TV’s?

6 Likes

I wish they’d switch 2, 7, 9, 10 and SBS (3?) to HD and switch the SD’s around.

8 Likes

WIN have done this already. WIN didn’t even bother with an SD simulcast. They just switched 9Gem and 9Go! to MPEG-4 HD on the existing 8x channel numbers.

7 Likes

One of the very few sensible things a regional broadcaster has done, by leading over their metro partner and ditching the SD simulcasts. The SD services are so bit starved and fuzzy now, why do they continue? There can’t be that many Mpeg2 only devices out there still?

1 Like

Hear hear!

1 Like

I’m quite happy for the primary channels to go HD only.

That said, I know some people who bought a digital LCD TV around 2006-2007 when they first came out. They’re still going OK, but won’t play MPEG4 TV channel video. Each of them also has a DVD recorder that also won’t play MPEG4 TV channel video. Luckily they all have Foxtel set top boxes.

1 Like

I had a friend when I was in school who had the latest set up for the time. This was around 2005-07 It was literally three remotes just to turn it on lol and I actually thought it was good lol.

1 Like

Ahead of 9Go! HD in metro areas these are multiplex bit rates (video + audio)

9 9SD 2.2
90 9HD 4.0
92 Gem 2.3
93 Go 2.6
94 Life 2.3
95 Gem HD 3.8
96 Rush 2.5
97 Extra 1.4

And for WIN as a comparison you can see how much higher the HD channel bit rates are with fewer steams. Picture quality on WIN HD much better than 9HD metro.

8 9SD 2.3
80 9HD 5.7
81 Gem HD 4.3
82 Go HD 4.8
83 Life 1.6
84 TVSN 1.5
85 Gold 1.1
7 Likes

I wonder what time the switch will be flicked. It’s still SD.

2 Likes