HD Broadcasting

I agree. SD sims should always be given the highest possible number. It sends a message that they’re on the way out soon.

5 10 HD
50 10 HD
51 10 Peach
52 10 BOLD
53 10 SHAKE
55 SBN
56 Sky News Regional
59 10 SD

11 Likes

Norfolk Island changed from terrestrial analogue television to terrestrial MPEG-4 digital television in December 2013. It appears that very few people require a VAST box as the transmissions cover most of the island. From memory, my understanding is that the networks share the broadcast channels rather than the 5 networks having their own channels.

There is some information here:

http://www.norfolkonlinenews.com/non_legislativeassembly/page/20/

3 Likes

Only thing is, all UHF DTV multiplexes in NZ are 8MHz wide (VHF band 3 are same as Aus at 7MHz wide), therefore NZ can fit more channels, or higher bit rates on each channel per multiplex.

5 Likes

https://aloha-apartments.com/norfolk-island/travel-information/

They have all the NT channels.

4 Likes

I wonder how accurate that article is since they think NBN is ALL of NSW.

They might think it’s from NT because of the ads, but it could easily be the “South” feed (NSW/VIC/SA) rather than the “North” feed that QLD/NT gets. I know South still gets a lot of NT ads.

5 Likes

Either one, the point was that they get all the channels we do (basically), and

the networks have all their own channels.

2 Likes

They share the same frequencies. There are not 5 digital television channels. An explanation of their first version of digital television in 2009:

Source: The Norfolk
ISLANDER

Having said that, the Seventh-day Adventist Church appears to still own two television licences on Norfolk Island.

6 Likes

That story is from 2009. Is it still the case?

What does this mean exactly?

It means exactly what he’s been saying. They share the frequencies between eachother. Like ABC and SBS on the same frequency, Imparja and Seven on the same frequency. You can do that in an all-MPEG-4 setup to an extent.

This is correct. I’ve spoken to a tech guy on the island and they definitely get the South channels.

7 Likes

Yes, that was the advantage of starting late.

1. Three channels were HD, TVNZ’s two channels and TV3.
5 Likes

So it doesn’t actually mean the content, yeah?

2 Likes

7mate via Prime7 is HD tonight in Canberra, in addition to the main channel.

I dont recall seeing it in HD before now, unless i’ve missed something.

9 Likes

No changes in Coffs Harbour. 7Mate still in SD up here.

5 Likes

Still SD in Illawarra.

5 Likes

Interesting. Could be testing a network-wide rollout. Can you elaborate on the details? Is it MPEG-4?

6 Likes

Yeah, MPEG-4.
Here’s a cap and some info from VLC.
There’s no SD simulcast. Just MPEG-4 HD on LCN 63. Currently measuring bitrates to post soon.

Maybe ahead of the Olympics?

11 Likes

Bitrates on Prime7 in Canberra tonight:

6/61 PRIME7 Canberra 3.6 Mbps
60 PRIME7 HD Canberra 5.6 Mbps MPEG 4 HD
62 7TWO Canberra 3.4 Mbps
63 7mate Canberra 5.8 Mbps MPEG 4 HD
65 ishoptv 1.3 Mbps MPEG 4
66 7flix 2.2 Mbps MPEG 4
68 RACING.COM 1.9 Mbps MPEG 4
13 Likes

This lady lost the picture tonight:

14 Likes

Looking likely. Good news!

8 Likes

Maybe she doesn’t have an MPEG-4 compatible TV? That Panasonic doesn’t look very recent.

4 Likes