HD Broadcasting

ABC News 24 is only upconverted SD on Foxtel – the same as on FTA.

I get both regional and metro stations and the regional HD channels don’t that particularly worse, in my opinion.

No, Gem on WIN is still in native HD.

The sharpening filter is only on WIN’s SD channels (WIN and Go!, not the HD channel (Gem), from what I’ve seen.

1 Like

Found this… don’t know how accurate but it says towards the end…

And, in fact, Gem has been dropped back to standard definition on Foxtel and regional channels, as Nine push all sport onto the main channel, which is worse off for regional viewers. Let’s hope that situation changes quickly.

http://www.techly.com.au/2015/11/26/channel-nines-new-tv-stations-re-tune-your-tv-today/

9GEM is HD on NBN.

1 Like

From WIN

Is that image HD from WIN ? .NBN’s looks clearer/ sharper.

TV Cynic’s image is exactly what it looks like here in our region on that channel.

Looks like TV.Cynic’s screenshot has a blend deinterlace applied – which essentially halves the vertical resolution.

If you compare the watermark between TV.Cynic’s screen capture (with blend deinterlacing) and my one also from WIN (but with weave deinterlacing), you can see it’s much clearer.

Edit: And one more with the PRG:

1 Like

And some same-frame captures from WIN Gem and Nine Gem. I’d never thought I’d say this, but clearly, WIN looks much better than Nine. For comparative purposes, I have resized the Nine Gem screenshots to be the same resolution as WIN Gem. Don’t forget to click them to see them in full size.

Nine - notice also the macroblocking where there’s motion in the hand:

WIN:

Another example - compare the detail in the face.

Nine:

WIN:

It’s clear to me that WIN Gem definitely still HD.

5 Likes

The graphics on News Breakfast were definitely native HD this morning.

Well…those who receive 9Gem in HD via WIN or NBN should be lucky to get it while they can I suppose. Once WIN HD and Nine HD via NBN launch, I suspect that the quality of 9Gem via those affiliates will be on par with Nine if not worse.

Excellent analysis @tvcl :+1:

Or on par with WIN Go!, which would be a major let down. Really wish WIN would stop this stupid sharpening/filter/whatever it is they do to their SD channels. The ABC SD services out of MediaHub look fantastic. Such a shame all that whiz bangery produces such an inferior product from WIN.

“The WIN Network - where commercials look great while actual programs look ripped from ExtraTorrent”

4 Likes

Hopefully 9Now will give us access to HD 9Gem amongst other channels in the near future.

2 Likes

I am expecting some complaints from especially Victoria when NRL starts again on GEM as they will now miss out on the HD broadcasts they were used to.

1 Like

Sport should be on the main channel across Australia to maximise ratings. They can put the news on ONE, 9Gem,7Two, 9Go or 7mate in the future.

Yep, viewers who were so used to the GEM HD broadcasts on NRL will soon have the choice of watching it in SD live or waiting for the Fox Sports repeat. Something that viewers in NSW/ACT/QLD had the “pleasure” of experiencing for five years, so it’s payback time! :stuck_out_tongue:

We know all too well that Seven/Nine aren’t going to do that. Despite the attempts from each code to make their sport popular nationally, it will always be NRL that’s the preferred choice in NSW/ACT/QLD and AFL the preferred choice in the other five.

Potentially the same thing will happen with AFL if 7HD gets off the ground in time for the new season. I imagine that especially WA viewers who have been accustomed to 7Mate coverage in HD will be disappointed when that channel witches to SD. Obviously same in Queensland and NSW but with fewer watching it will have less of an impact.

1 Like

I think starting this year Fox Sports will be showing Nine’s games live in HD. So at least there’s an extra choice even if you have to pay for it. Adelaide viewers will be especially happy, considering NRL on Nine(GEM) is delayed.

Ten HD on March 2 is 100% confirmed by the Ten CEO in The Australian this morning. Also confirmed, no 4th channel offering from Ten. He says it would add costs and erode audiences and he believes they need focus on Ten, One and 11.

If a 4th channel is launched (but he sounds VERY against the idea in numerous quotes) its would be “something very different” to what is already out there.

3 Likes

There is a new topic now for TEN HD.