HD Broadcasting

They should have at least put it on ABC News 24 too.

ABC News 24 on Youtube is a terrible resolution.

1 Like

News 24 is only upscaled from SD anyway? Or is it actual HD?

I think it’s upscaled.

1 Like

I think the NYE Fireworks may have aired in native HD on News 24 in recent years, but other than that it’s always a (really poor quality IMO) upscaled SD broadcast from what I’ve seen.

4 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Community Television

I recently bought my first HD TV, a new Soniq 43" Full HD for $399. It can receive the MPEG-4 channels, but my old Panasonic HD PVR can’t. I was wondering if there’s such a thing as a set-top box that can receive MPEG-4 but output it in a way that the PVR could understand it and record it in HD (e.g., an RF out encoded in MPEG-2).

Yes there is but you would lose much of the time-shift functionality. E.g., the STB would plug into AUX1 and you would set the PVR to always record from AUX1. The STB could only be set to be on one channel at a time so you could only PVR from one channel without intervention.

What sort of input would AUX1 need to be? If it’s just AV (the yellow, white, red RCA sockets) wouldn’t it only be SD quality? I’m not sure my PVR has any input other than the antenna that it could record in HD. I’m mostly interested in the main FTA HD channels (Nine HD etc.) because they are the ones I record the most (the SD equivalents that is).

The starting point would be what inputs there are for the STB. The only way to record HD is with HDMI (possibly component ie 5 cables) IN. HDMI IN is quite rare, which makes the whole exercise rather pointless I suppose. Whether the PVR would end up recording the signal in HD is another question.

OK, thanks. I’m pretty sure the PVR doesn’t have HDMI in, so I’ll probably need a new PVR.

When shopping for a TV I was surprised how bad they looked in the shops. The colours were too bright and seemed to smear with movement. I couldn’t tell if it was the TVs or the compression, but they looked crappy. I decided to stick with my 19 yo 68 cm Sony Trinotron, which still works, and keep the new TV aside as a spare. But at home HD broadcasts on the new TV look fantastic, with none of the smeary artifacts I saw in the shops, so I’ve switched to it permanently.

2 Likes

Yes, in store TVs aren’t set up very well in many cases, some of them are using the basic red/white/yellow Composite (AUX) cables :scream:

The lighting in shops is usually too bright for TVs to look their best as well.

2 Likes

Anyone will to guess what time ABC HD will go live tonight?

6am tomorrow, apparently.

I was hoping it was midnight. Damn :frowning: (

I would’ve thought that they’d do the changes for ABC News 24/ABC HD in the middle of the night (like at 3am or something) when pretty much nobody is watching, to minimise any possible disruptions to viewers.

In any case, it’ll be rather interesting to see how much content is shown in native HD on ABC HD when it launches. Hopefully a little more than what we got from Ten when they (re)launched their main channel simulcast in March which initially showed barely anything in native HD and is to some extent, still lacking in it’s amount of native HD content compared to the HD channels of some other networks.

2 Likes

ABC HD is on air in Brisbane and regional Queensland

Regional

6 Likes

Comments so far - no HD elements broadcast. Programs (golf, rage) , promos, adverts for ABC shop etc have been in SD.

As advised, MPEG4. Sound is 2 channel. ABC24 now SD.

Bit rates:

ABC 4.97
ABC2 3.87
ABCMe 1.41 (static)
ABC24 4.15
ABCHD 3.95

JJ 0.139
Jazz 0.139

On air in Melbourne too.
The watermark looks SD to me - definitely not as sharp as the watermarks on the other HD channels.

2 Likes