ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

2UE must be jumping for joy- they now have a clear channel.

1 Like

It took them 2 days to get a technician to check out why it wasn’t broadcasting?

They probably don’t have a local tech based in Cairns.

I’m sure someone would have got there quicker had it been the main 846 signal.

1 Like

According to the Facebook post the signal on the frequency “has been hissing” so perhaps it was still transmitting but with noise.

That would make sense actually. From what I can tell on Google they have 2 masts at that site, so I imagine they are working in array and something would have still been getting through. That’s probably their temporary solution to just reconfigure it to use a single mast while a new mast is built.

1 Like

Yes definitely 2 masts (despite being listed as omni)

1 Like

Two masts but it’s a T antenna, the masts weren’t live

1 Like

Wouldn’t they be better off having a low power FM repeater?

They could stick it on a Telstra tower somewhere nearby and it wouldn’t be as likely to have these issues, nor would it require all that land?

1 Like

I’ve noticed today that 2ST in Nowra is now airing Summer Saturday on relay from 2GB at 12-4pm Saturdays.

Meanwhile, 2EC in Bega/Batemans Bay is playing music.

Disgraceful. 2ST would be better off playing music… Just because 2GB rate #1 weekdays to pull the station over the line, doesn’t mean weekend arvs in summer would be a winning choice in Nowra.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. It’s bad enough that you can’t listen to 2ST for music on weekends during the NRL season, but now you can’t listen to it outside of the NRL season as well? :frowning:

As I’ve said before in some other relevant threads, regional commercial radio, particularly those targeting the adult demographic, is becoming more boring, with more stations that once played plenty of ‘classic hits’, now playing syndicated talkback or sport instead.

1 Like

Has Andy Subacius (Andy Young on air) finished at Goulburn? Where is he now?

From the discussion in the SCA Regional thread:

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/southern-cross-austereo-regional/56/750?u=tamago_otoko

Why does 4BU get out so poorly? It’s all flat out there and you’re not far from the water, I’m surprised an AM signal in that area would have such poor range. The lower powered FMs around the place do fairly well (106.7 for instance gets into Bundy and Hervey Bay at reasonable levels)

4BU broadcasts on the same frequency (1332kHz) as 3SH Swan Hill, which the latter interferes with 4BU at night, even at around Childers.

1 Like

At least 4BU upgraded their system to 5kw directions back in the 70s when given the opportunity. 4MB stayed at 2kw omi and still is now as 4FC.

Worth noting that on the Bundaberg LAP RA 1 the coverage stops at Cordalba and doesn’t include Childers which is why Rebel can set up stations there as it is considered part of the remote licence area. The Maryborough LAP only goes to Howard - the dividing line between the two is approximately the Burrum River.

1 Like

BU gets out well in certain directions where no limitation on co channel or adjacent channel.

West into the North Burnett (hinterland of Bundy), adequate coverage.

North to Gladstone, good coverage, even at night. Amongst the increased noise floor due to nearby industry, good signal on good radios, most areas ok beside powerlines even.

East onto the reef, great coverage to the reef islands, even Heron Island.

106.7 gets into all areas well because it is on Mt Goonaneman, the wide coverage TV site. This is why the Remote NE transmitters should be in towns only instead of backdoor coverage over existing commercial areas.

I believe the Maryborough and Bundaberg licence areas be aggregated to both include Mt Goonaneman and wide area coverage to all towns from a good site instead of these veritable pimples of the Hummock or Scrub Hill. As far as TX sites go, they’re both jokes.

4MB on a directional antenna would have had to limit towards the south, ok for the west and north.

Who owned 4MB at the time that they didn’t move to the 5kW DA?

Probably whoever owned 4BC/4GR

1 Like

Yes, wonder how far back the Albert’s ownership went and who owned it prior.

More a task for the radio history thread, but would love to see a ‘family tree’ of owners for each licence. Would be a huge undertaking with much conjecture but could be done with many people contributing.

1 Like

Yeah it was always a bit of a mystery to me growing up in that area, but 4MB was actually more receivable in Bundaberg than 4BU was in Maryborough. But you’re right 4BU was pretty good north towards Gladstone.

1 Like

It sure is. 1332 better at 1170/Agnes Water than 927. Hence why 4CC have translator (even throw in crappy quality of AM off air as a bonus).

2 Likes