Gold Coast - Survey 1, 2020

The Triple M and Hit studios on the Gold Coast are located in the Oracle shopping centre in Broadbeach on the Gold Coast. It’s a great little outdoor area with cafes and restaurants.

In January I was walking around with a flat white in my hand and saw the sign for the station’s studios. A sign for Triple M and Hit. I might as well have been in Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, Fraser Coast, Mackay, Broome, Central Coast, Sunraysia, Adelaide., Albany, Geraldton, Port Hedland…

In a world of the internet and globalisation, sometimes something a little local can create a lot of meaning and goodwill.

2 Likes

Impressive numbers by Hot Tomato. The change in Breakfast has done wonders. The former SeaFM breakfast crew (Galey, Moyra & Baggs) all now employed by Hot Tomato.

2 Likes

They have one - 94.1FM and anecdotally speaking (because there’s no ratings data for a TCBL) it has quite an audience. It’s a softer, daggier station targetting the older demographics so still leaves space for a Gold FM to target the middle-aged audience if they could tailor their music to suit

Just verifying that, nearly 50% (48.8) of 65+ listeners don’t listen to one of the stations included there, and 32.5% of 55-64s don’t either. I’d love to see the raw data but an educated guess would be that a good chunk of those are on 94.1

2 Likes

To get a fair idea on what music 94.1FM plays, Online Radio Box now has their playlist, which you can see here: https://onlineradiobox.com/au/941fmgoldcoast/playlist/

Can anyone find any press release from SCA regarding yesterday’s GC results?

1 Like

News

Notice how the channel selected on the TV in the background changes to match the news :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d think a fair chunk would be 94.1 but also Breeze FM. Breeze is fairly well marketed on the coast including on buses.

1 Like

I own two blocks of shares (outside of my superannuation).

Woolworths shares that I bought when the company floated for $2.20 each. Today each is worth over $35.

I also own SCA shares. Once they were in the $3 range. Today they are worth about 11 cents each. When I see survey results like the Gold Coast I realise that my shares in radio are not just sinking because of the new world of online competition. I see that I own part of a media operation that has destroyed many local brands and has no idea how to compete. The only reason SCA shares are above 5 cents is because in some regional markets they compete against Bill Caralis’ stations like New FM in Newcastle. I wish Bill a long and healthy life.

3 Likes

and because of their television affiliation with Nine and Seven?

2 Likes

Ouch!

Those 2 Girls not hugely popular.

I think it’s probably overcooked a bit. 3-4 points I could believe. 7 is a massive change and not what you’d normally see across one book.

Gold Coast is a really overstacked market so to get 20 is these days a really amazing position. It will be interesting to see how HT’s sales team go about it. Do they overplay it and hike the prices to an unreasonable level and spite their own faces or so they run consistency and slightly move across lesser advertisers and keep market rates steady for long term clients. It will be interesting to see.