Free TV Australia

FREE TV CONSULTATION BEGINS ON PROVISIONS TO BAN GAMBLING ADVERTISING IN LIVE SPORT

Free TV Australia today [17 November] announced the commencement of the consultation period on the new draft provisions of the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice relating to gambling advertising during live sporting events.

The new provisions further restrict gambling advertising during live sports following discussions with the Government.

Free TV Acting CEO Pamela Longstaff said, "Free TV is committed to ensuring that the Code meets community expectations, including in relation to gambling advertising.

"These significant restrictions will prevent gambling advertising being broadcast during live sports at times that children are likely to be watching.

“Of course, to be effective, these safeguards must apply consistently across all platforms including online,” Ms Longstaff said.

The draft gambling provisions of the Code are open for public comment until 15 December 2017. They must then be approved by the Australian Communications and Media Authority before they come into effect in March 2018.

Public comments can be submitted to Free TV either by post to 44 Avenue Road, Mosman NSW 2088 or email to contact@freetv.com.au.

Full details of the consultation process including the draft provisions can be accessed here

http://www.freeview.com.au/about/news-and-events/freeview-fv-now-available-on-the-app-store-for-apple-tv/

Watching your favourite TV programs is now even easier with Freeview FV, as the world-first free-to-air
TV live streaming app is now available on Apple TV 4K and Apple TV.

Freeview FV delivers live streaming from 20 free-to-air channels and catch-up content from all free-to-air
TV channels. The app also includes a TV guide, allows users to browse and search across all free-to-air TV,
set favourites, and provides show recommendations.

Freeview FV is also available on iOS and Android mobile and tablets with Chromecast and Apple TV support delivering TV straight into viewers’ hands.

Freeview FV delivers live streaming of 20 free-to-air TV channels and the catch-up content from all
networks with just one click. Available channels include: ABC, SBS, Seven, Channel 9, TEN, ONE, ELEVEN,
ABC COMEDY, ABC KIDS, ABC ME, ABC NEWS, SBS VICELAND, Food Network, NITV, 7TWO, 7Mate,
7Flix, Racing.com, 9Gem, 9Go! and 9Life.

Thanks for this. Great for Streaming and Catch Up but sometimes you still need to record stuff.

Who Do You Think You Are? UK for example is not available on SBS on Demand. Same for The Simpsons on 7plus or Fresh Off The Boat on Tenplay.

2 Likes

So if everything’s going to be combined, what’s the point of having the separate catch-up brands?

1 Like

I’m not home to download the app on my Apple TV yet, but I’d be really surprised if Ten are actually live streaming all 3 of their channels via Freeview when only the main is currently only available on tenplay.

EDIT: Downloaded the app, works well especially for Ten as they don’t offer live steaming through the tenplay Apple TV app like 7, 9, ABC & SBS do. Also as I suspected, only the main Ten channel is working with One & Eleven showing as unavailable.

Nine is still the only network that opens its own app 9Now when you click on one of their channels. I’m surprised that Seven hasn’t followed Nine’s lead to force viewers to use 7plus rather than the streams playing in the Freeview app.

WIN Television rejoined Free TV Australia on Friday (March 9) after a three-year absence.

2 Likes

What’s in it for TV’s biggest dual citizen, Bermuda Bruce?

Seven have added a dedicated MKR button to its Freeview services.

I haven’t checked these for a while, so I don’t know how long it’s been there for.

2 Likes

What does it mean?

1 Like

I think it just opens up an app on the TV to access MKR content online.
Just another way of accessing catch up TV really.

1 Like

It means more clutter on screen every time you change the channel.

2 Likes

MKR Freeview option has now changed to House Rules

2 Likes

Commercial free to air networks exceed content quotas

http://www.managemysite.com.au/SiteMedia/W3SVC751/Uploads/Images/free_tv_logo_edm.jpg

The latest compliance report from the Australian Communication and Media Authority has confirmed that commercial free to air networks remain the home of Australian content in both metropolitan and regional licence areas.

FreeTV CEO Bridget Fair said: “Commercial television broadcasters are proud of our commitment to Australian content. Our members invest over $1.5 billion annually in making great Australian content that is loved by millions of Australians. Over 80 per cent of total program expenditure by commercial broadcasters is spent on Australian content.

“This is an unrivalled commitment to telling local stories, entertaining and informing Australians and giving them access to all the major sporting codes, live and free.

“The ACMA report shows that in 2017 all networks easily exceeded the requirement to show 55% Australian content on the primary channels between 6am and midnight—with some exceeding 75%.

“Our networks broadcast nearly 600 hours of first run Australian dramas and documentaries in 2017. In total across the primary and multi-channels, 23,000 hours of Australian content was broadcast by the commercial free to air sector.

“Contrary to incorrect claims made today, programming from New Zealand makes up a small fraction of the networks’ schedules. The ACMA has confirmed that only 409 hours of content from New Zealand was shown by FreeTV members in 2017. That is less than 2% of all Australian content and is less than the 5-year average.

“The ACMA report does highlight the issues faced by 12 smaller regional sections 38 A and 38B or remote licensees in meeting the full multi-channel quota requirements. In these small areas, operational issues have impacted the ability of these licensees to syndicate the complete suite of multi-channels provided by their metropolitan affiliate.

“This issue was anticipated and was raised with the Government last year during the review into the Australian content rules. However, even in these areas, the ACMA has confirmed that the amount of Australian content broadcast on the primary channel exceeded the minimum quota by so much that it far exceeded the multi-channel transmission shortfall for all 12 regional licensees.”

I think ‘operational issues’ is a bit of a stretch considering 9 of the 12 licencees previously carried the channel that has caused this shortfall

2 Likes

The issue for me isn’t quantity, it’s the quality.

Too much cheap reality TV.

3 Likes

Bridget Fair and her organisation have done themselves a great discredit. ABC and ACMA caught them, they can’t say it’s lying. FTA are lying themselves in this par.

It’s still a breach, they should source content elsewhere to make up the shortfall, run Australian youtube videos if that’s what it means.

It’s no operational issue. There’s no technical barrier that there once might have been when reels were bussed in to remote stations. Even those stations made quota such as GTW Geraldton or RTS Loxton.

This is simply the regionals reluctance to pay the metro pipers and ACMA should be going after them.

We know that regional and metro licensees visit Canberra and lobby them, greasing the wheel with dinners and visits from ‘persuasive people’.

They have clearly silenced regional based MPs and Senators.

@Radiohead is correct, the quality is the most important requirement. The cheap formats such as reality are a disgrace. But who cares, at some point, the viability will reduce so much for stations that either they’ll sell (likely forced by admin a la 10) or reinvest to save themselves. Until then, it’s a race to the bottom.

Sorry for the typos in the original, I had limited time and didn’t proofread!!

3 Likes

List of stations that breached the requirement:

3 Likes

“only”??

While it might only represent 2%, 409 hours is a lot of airtime

3 Likes

It shouldn’t count. New Zealand is producing as much local product as Australia which is embarrassing for us, considering the size of their population.

1 Like