Foxtel

Foxtel satellite is shit

2 Likes

If it hasn’t already been binned I’d imagine that Foxtel will also eventually axe Sky News Weather Active (basically the final old interactive service still on Foxtel if I’m not mistaken), after Sky News Active/Local & Fox Sports News Active were turfed a few years ago.

And yes, it also wouldn’t overly surprise me if all the audio channels cease transmission in favour of a “Foxtel Tunes” music streaming app being launched on the newer boxes.

Indeed, the oldest Foxtel iQ2/iQHD boxes are now 12 years old.

Great technology when they first came out, although the fact that Foxtel hasn’t properly upgraded the UI of the EPG for many years (aside from the logo change in 2012, it dates back to 2008) tells you just high of a priority they have for those boxes these days.

There’s something I can also agree with. Biggest problem is the missing FTA channels (so much for that “clear reception of all existing channels” promise from the launch of Foxtel) because for various reasons, they can’t/won’t retransmit everything on the satellite.

If they follow what they did with Austar subscribers with old boxes then you can probably wangle a free upgrade pretty easily - although getting rid of the Austar boxes means that they can drop dual encryption

Hard to believe Sky weather active still exists in 2020

1 Like

You would expect this to go as well. I remember Foxtel saying way back when the IQ3 came out that there future plans for the IQ3 were to use apps rather than the satellight system.

2 Likes

So much for Viacom producing channels for Australia the nickmusic channel is the exact same channel that they use in the Netherlands, it’s not even time shifted just a slap bam rebroadcast.

Even the music has a lot of Netherlands artists in it.

A bit lazy of them.

9 Likes

Viacom stated that all the channels would be programmed and produced in AU, EXCEPT Nick Music

4 Likes

It’s ridiculous that they are showing that here.

4 Likes

“All the clog-popping favourites you know and love” :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Sky Racing 2 becomes free as of today. About time

5 Likes

Interesting - I’d heard that it may not have eventuated

Sky Racing 2 was supposed to become part of the basic Foxtel package on March 26 but for whatever reason (my guess is something pandemic-related) the switch didn’t happen at that time.

Now for Sky Racing 1 & 2 to eventually be available in HD via Foxtel…

4 Likes

August 1

1 Like

Noticed KFC in Tasmania playing MTV classic today instead of Max in store.

Not a fan of the lack of Australian music across these MTV channels, and the zoomed content on foxtel classic, because that is going to improve quality on already old 4:3 content :confused:

5 Likes

Its very interesting, the Foxtel Go app on my iPhone broadcasting to the TV via chromecast, provides a better picture quality as apposed to the app on the PS4. AND there is no horrible buffering on the Mobile app unlike the Foxtel now app on PS4. Bizzare

2 Likes

My local Hungry Jacks was playing CMT today rather than Smooth too. Took a few days for it to be fixed

1 Like

Is this the date that Sky racing goes HD? :thinking:

No.

:sob:

Thanks for this. We have 12 months free Binge. We cancelled Foxtel a fortnight ago so that worked out well.

Any ideas what to do with an unwanted IQ2 box?

1 Like