Four Corners

If the ABC had not paid Porter’s lawyer’s $100,000 then Porter would have had to pay that himself, so the ABC has effectively paid Porter $100,000.

Or it wouldn’t have gone to mediation, trial likely have continued and cost everyone more. Possibly a cheaper outcome than the alternatives - including a successful defence?

Anderson revealed the total cost of defending and settling the Porter case had so far cost the ABC about $780,000.

Cost the ABC? More like cost Tax Payers…

1 Like
4 Likes

Well deserved high praise for Grace on joining the team.

1 Like

ABC Statement

Following questions in Senate Estimates today regarding the Prime Minister’s Office contacting ABC Director News Gaven Morris about a Four Corners program, the ABC can confirm:

• The Prime Minister’s Press Secretary Andrew Carswell contacted Mr Morris at around 6pm on 1 June. The phone call lasted approximately 90 seconds.
  • Mr Carswell asked if the Four Corners program concerning QAnon was going to air. Mr Morris said it was and the PMO should answer the detailed questions that had been put to it. Mr Morris said the team had been in contact with the PMO on more than 20 occasions seeking answers to questions put in writing and it wasn’t tenable that the PMO did not respond to the questions. Mr Carswell said he would ensure answers were provided. That was the entire conversation.
  • The PMO subsequently contacted Four Corners saying they would respond to the questions.
  • Knowing a response was expected to be included in the program, Mr Morris endorsed the program sent to the Managing Director for his approval.

Media outlets claiming that the ABC had dropped the story were wrong, or just making it up.

3 Likes

The Great Awakening: a family divided by QAnon

Monday 14 June at 8:30pm

“QAnon is …first and foremost a conspiracy theory…(about) a global satanic paedophile cult, who have infiltrated the highest levels of government, the media, Hollywood.”

The extreme political movement QAnon has mobilised a committed band of believers dedicated to fighting what they claim is a war against corrupt, child abusing elites. There are vocal devotees here in Australia.

“Tim believes that the world has really been taken over by… Luciferian paedophiles and that is represented by the left, the radical left.” Sister of QAnon follower

One QAnon adherent has attracted attention because of his long friendship with the Prime Minister of Australia, Scott Morrison.

The Prime Minister’s old friend is an enthusiastic exponent of QAnon’s bizarre conspiracy theory.

Now his family are speaking out on Four Corners about his descent into this extreme world view and their fears for him.

“I’m his mum…we’ve watched the change over these last years be quite dramatic.” Mother

What emerges is a portrait of a family in distress, divided by politics and extremist beliefs and a growing sense of alarm.

“I think almost all of us have broken down on the phone trying to explain…grieving the loss of someone who’s still alive and it’s a very confusing emotion.” Sister

In this dramatic episode of Four Corners, family members detail their growing awakening to the powerful hold this extremist movement now has.

“At that point we recognised, there’s a level of radicalisation that is very different to even a year prior to that.”

Those with experience of QAnon at the highest levels say the conspiracy theory movement needs to be watched very carefully.

This episode of Four Corners has already sparked a political furore and an angry rebuke from the Prime Minister.

“I find it deeply offensive that there would be any suggestion that I would have any involvement or support for such a dangerous organisation.” Prime Minister Scott Morrison

The Great Awakening, reported by Louise Milligan, goes to air on Monday 14th June at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 15th June at 1.00pm and Wednesday 16th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

I’ll take the latter option. A lot of egg being removed from media pundits faces as we speak.

1 Like

Nick Tabakoff in The Australian is reporting some of the responses that the prime minister’s office gave to questions from Four Corners about QAnon, which was that the program is “giving credence to irrational Twitter conspiracy theorists and raising the profile of what the Prime Minister clearly deems to be a discredited and dangerous fringe group” and that it is a “slur against the Prime Minister and his family”.

Angus Grigg will be joining the reporting team.

1 Like

Angus Grigg is a great signing. I heard his podcast The Sure Thing (about the foreign exchange scam hatched by two former university students) earlier this year and it was excellent.

1 Like

Wondering what was changed regarding the qanon programme. Obviously the pm’s response to the Dorothy dixer from the Sky reporter would be new material.

But imagine Anderson wanted this to air while the pm was at the G7 meeting…

Tonight’s 7.30 had a follow-up story by Laura Tingle on links between PM Scott Morrison and QAnon supporter Tim Stewart.

1 Like

An article in The Australian late last week pointed out that Christian Porter still hasn’t actually discontinued his legal action against the ABC as the Federal court “has yet to decide whether the public broadcaster’s full defence should be released to the public”.

Also in The Australian, a key witness on last week’s Four Corners story on QAnon has been revealed as Peter Priest, a ­serial conspiracy theorist who has twice been detained by the fixated persons unit of Queensland Police and who admits he took part in the TV program to “politically damage Scott Morrison”. He was introduced in the episode as Eliahi Priest and claimed to be the designate consul to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

1 Like

Post Mortem

Post Mortem: The story behind the turmoil that’s engulfed Australia Post

“They got watches.” Then-Australia Post CEO, Christine Holgate

It was a jaw dropping moment. The admission by the CEO of Australia Post that four executives had been given Cartier watches as a reward for a banking deal sparked a wave of indignation and damaging headlines. It came at a time when many Australians were reeling from the crippling impact of the pandemic. It reeked of an out of touch executive class in charge of one of Australia’s most cherished institutions.

“This government is taking no action against the Liberal-appointed Australia Post board, which spent $12,000 of taxpayers’ money on Cartier watches?” Anthony Albanese, Opposition Leader

Politicians on both sides of the spectrum were quick to condemn the purchases and laid the blame at the feet of the beleaguered CEO, Christine Holgate.

“This was not consistent with public expectations about how taxpayers’ money should be spent.” Paul Fletcher, Communications Minister

Within hours, Christine Holgate was gone but the scandal was far from over. On Monday, Four Corners investigates the turmoil inside Australia Post and what brought down its high-profile CEO.

“I think I was thrown under the bus, and the bus reversed back over me.” Christine Holgate, former CEO

In the months that followed Ms Holgate’s departure there have been claims and counter claims as each side seeks to take the high moral ground.

“Do I feel it was escalated, because I was a woman? Yes, I do.” Christine Holgate, former CEO

“I would reject strongly the proposition that in some way the expectations are different as between a male executive and a female executive.” Paul Fletcher, Communications Minister

Four Corners investigates allegations of secret privatisation plans and proposed job cuts, and examines who was really standing up for whom.

“Don’t give me that rubbish that they wouldn’t sell anything off. They’d sell their bloody mother if they could.” Senator Pauline Hanson, One Nation Party

In interviews with key players, the program asks the decision makers to explain their actions to the people of Australia.

Post Mortem, reported by Michael Brissenden, goes to air on Monday 28th June at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 29th June at 1.00pm and Wednesday 30th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1407858934572933123?s=20