Four Corners

Julian Assange will be the subject of next week’s episode.

Hero or Villain

Monday 22 July at 8.30pm

The prosecution of Julian Assange.

“I suppose very flawed personalities often are the engineers of history and I think Julian Assange is one.” Editor

Julian Assange is one of the most influential figures to emerge this century. The Australian born founder of WikiLeaks has harnessed the technology of the digital age to unleash an information war against governments and corporations.

“There had, I think at that point, never been a leak of sensitive material on this scale.” Former newspaper editor

WikiLeaks has collaborated with anonymous sources to release highly classified and often deeply embarrassing information to the world.

The organisation exploded onto the world stage in 2010 when it began publishing a series of spectacular leaks laying bare the conduct of the United States. At the centre of it all was Julian Assange.

“Everybody wanted to meet him. It was like having an audience with him… It was rockstar combined with a James Bond type of vibe.” Former colleague

The leaks sparked ferocious debate over the right to know and the right to keep secrets.

“I don’t see Julian Assange as this great crusader of transparency. I see him as a reckless narcissist.” Former State Dept official

Now Julian Assange is in the fight of his life. In April this year he was dragged, protesting, from the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, nearly seven years after seeking diplomatic protection.

“Julian Assange was the most hunted man on earth when he came to our embassy. It was his last resort.” Former Ecuadorian diplomat

He is facing extradition to the United States on espionage charges stemming from the spectacular 2010 leaks by Private Chelsea Manning.

“I do think that there is a very strong case against Julian Assange for what he did.” Former US Assist Secretary of State

Everyone has an opinion about Julian Assange, but now you will hear from those who have been on the inside.

“They tried to break him down. Every moment, every movement, every minute of Julian’s stay was recorded.” Former Ecuadorian diplomat

On Monday Four Corners investigates the prosecution of Julian Assange in key interviews with those at the heart of WikiLeaks and those who have sought to bring him to US justice. These insider accounts give powerful insights into how these momentous events have unfolded.

“There was this big discussion inside the government on whether Julian Assange could be prosecuted either for the publication of the materials that Chelsea Manning stole, or for helping her steal it.” Former US Dept of Justice spokesperson

A picture emerges of a polarising figure lauded or dismissed as a hero or a villain.

“He’s quixotic, charming, brilliant, intolerable, maverick, difficult, impossible, narcissistic, entrepreneurial, vindictive. I mean, we could go on all night.” Former Editor & collaborator

Over two parts, the program examines the conduct of Assange, and WikiLeaks. The first episode investigates the Manning leaks that are now central to the charges. The second interrogates Assange’s role in the 2016 US Presidential election and the aggressive pursuit of the WikiLeaks founder by the Trump administration.

“The FBI wanted to come here and question me about the relationship between Julian and Chelsea Manning. And it is about the illegal reception and publication of secret information.” Former colleague

With the legal fight in full swing, Assange’s supporters, even some of his critics, warn that his prosecution marks a very dangerous new chapter for freedom of speech and the public’s right to know.

“A line has been drawn in the sand and either you are going to support Julian and fight this retribution and those indictments, or you basically step back and the lights will go out. That’s how serious it is.” Friend and colleague

Hero or Villain: The prosecution of Julian Assange, reported by Michael Brissenden, goes to air on Monday 22nd July at 8.30pm and part two will air Monday 29th July at 8.30pm. Four Corners is replayed on Tuesday 23rd July at 1.00pm and Wednesday 24th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

ABC response to article concerning Four Corners program “Cash Splash”

The ABC was not permitted by The Australian to see the complete letter referred to in its article today before its publication. However, the extracts provided to the ABC contain nothing more than vague assertions and allegations. There are no statements of fact that contradict the Four Corners’ investigation “Cash Splash”, concerning the Murray-Darling Basin plan.

The program, which aired on Monday 8 July, drew on a wide cross section of people with knowledge and experience of the operation of the water subsidy scheme. Those interviewed for the program included farmers, irrigators, scientists, economists and the CEO of Murrumbidgee Irrigation.

The ABC stands by the integrity of the program, the facts presented and the scrutiny placed on a $5.6 billion scheme intended to manage water resources to the benefit of regional communities, agribusiness and the river system itself.

Hero or Villain: Part 2

Monday 29 July at 8.30pm

The United States vs Julian Assange

In the 2016 race to the White House, presidential candidate Donald Trump took a shine to the whistleblowing site WikiLeaks, led by its Australian founder Julian Assange. Trump revelled in the damage inflicted upon his opponent, Hillary Clinton, by a series of sensational leaks published by the site.

“This WikiLeaks is like a treasure trove.” Donald Trump, 2016

Now, as President, Donald Trump has performed a spectacular flip, presiding over an administration determined to imprison the publisher of the leaks.

“Donald Trump might have said I love WikiLeaks during the course of the election, but his administration has aggressively pursued this indictment.” UK lawyer

Julian Assange is now in a British jail cell, fighting attempts to extradite him to the United States, where he is facing 17 espionage charges.

“They are going after this with both barrels blazing. Each count of the espionage act carries a potential 10-year prison sentence and they can be consecutive.” US Lawyer

On Monday Four Corners investigates Julian Assange’s activities conducted during the nearly seven years he spent sheltering in the Ecuadorian Embassy.

“He was always working, doing something…Julian himself is a workaholic.” Former Ecuadorian diplomat

His relentless attacks on Hillary Clinton during the US election campaign and his ties to Russia have fuelled suspicion that there was more to WikiLeaks’ activities than a commitment to extreme disclosure.

“Wikileaks was a useful tool. Somebody figured out how to use that. Julian might’ve been the useful idiot to President Trump or his advisors or whoever, helping him to get more political momentum.” Former WikiLeaks colleague

His supporters emphatically deny this.

“For anyone to suggest that Julian is owned by any particular government is simply wrong. You need to know Julian to know that that’s simply not the case.” UK lawyer

The decision by the Trump administration to charge Assange with espionage has provoked even some of his most ardent critics to speak out.

“I don’t like him. I deplore some of the things he’s done. But as charged, I think we have to stand with him…Whatever Julian was up to, I don’t think it was espionage.” Former collaborator

They warn the charges are part of a bigger campaign to silence whistleblowers and to shut down scrutiny of governments.

“I think the Trump administration doesn’t have the same concerns about journalism and the threat to journalism that the Obama administration did…The President talks about journalists as the enemy of the people … He talks about fake news so I don’t think they lose any sleep at all over threats to journalism.” Former US Dept of Justice spokesperson

Despite these concerns, some say Julian Assange is reaping what he sowed.

“He mostly likely changed the course of American politics and the American presidency. And this is a delicious irony, the President that he helped to elect now wants to prosecute him.” Former US Assist Sec of State

Hero or Villain: The United States vs Julian Assange (part 2), reported by Michael Brissenden, goes to air on Monday 29th July at 8.30pm. Four Corners is replayed on Tuesday 30th July at 1.00pm and Wednesday 31st at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Next week on Four Corners: Brexit.

Britain’s Brexit Crisis

Monday 5 August at 8.30pm

Britain’s Brexit Crisis: How the UK’s plan to leave Europe has turned into a nightmare

“Brexit means Brexit and we’re going to make a success of it.” Theresa May, UK PM, 2016

Three years ago, Britain had a new Prime Minister and a promise to take the United Kingdom out of the European Union by delivering on the people’s vote for “Brexit”.

“I had the feeling that our British counterparts thought it would be a very easy thing to do.” Martin Selmayr, outgoing Secretary Gen of the European Commission

What had been presented as a simple proposition - for the UK to leave - has turned into a political nightmare, dividing former allies, British political parties and the people of an increasingly dis-United Kingdom.

“Brexit is a negative negotiation, it is a lose lose game for everybody.” Michel Barnier, European Chief Negotiator

Theresa May failed to deliver, and it cost her the top job.

“The real issue is debating with ourselves what kind of Brexit Britain wants. And we should have done that before we triggered the process.” Philip Hammond, Chancellor 2016-19

Now Britain’s new PM is making bold promises to “leave”. But Boris Johnson will face the very same challenges.

“Let’s hope he gets us out of the European Union…Frankly if we don’t it’s the end of the Conservative Party, it’s the end of his premiership.” Richard Tice, Chair, Brexit Party

In Britain, those at the heart of the Brexit talks are trying to make sense of how they got to this point and how they will resolve the crisis.

“Ironically some of the most ardent champions of Brexit were guilty of the greatest underestimation of how difficult Brexit would be.” David Liddington, UK Minister, 2016-19

In this revealing account, key negotiators and politicians on both sides of the Channel tell the inside story of the Brexit debacle.

“I thought ‘oh my god they haven’t got a plan, they haven’t got a plan’. That was really shocking frankly.” Frans Timmermans, Vice President, European Commission

Senior players recount missteps and excruciating moments where they were blindsided.

“I was trying to keep my face dead straight, conscious that there were cameras on me. It was a surprise to see that the Prime Minister had chosen to define Brexit in the hardest possible terms.” Philip Hammond, Chancellor 2016-19

Also laid bare is the infighting and betrayals within the ruling British Conservative government as the tortuous negotiations continued.

“There was no way I could walk that deal over the line I couldn’t do it as a matter of personal conviction and I couldn’t do it for the good of my country.” Dominic Raab, Former Brexit Minister, current Foreign Secretary

This film from the BBC’s Panorama program lays out Britain’s troubled path to Brexit. The following week, the ABC’s Chief Correspondent Phil Williams will report on what happens next now that Boris Johnson is the man in charge.

"Just a few days ago the Brexit circus that has paralyzed this nation for over three years took another amazing turn. The controversial Boris Johnson is now Prime Minister and it’s up to him to somehow resolve the most serious political crisis to grip

the country in decades. If he gets it wrong some fear it could lead to the break-up of the United Kingdom." Phil Williams, ABC Chief Correspondent

Britain’s Brexit Crisis, from the BBC’s Panorama program, goes to air on Monday 5th August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 6th August at 1.00pm and Wednesday 7th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Betting on Boris

Monday 12 August at 8.30pm

Can Boris Johnson deliver Brexit and keep the Kingdom together?

“I say to all the doubters: Dude, we are going to energise the country. We’re going to get Brexit done on October 31st.” Boris Johnson, British PM

The elevation of Boris Johnson to the Prime Ministership of Great Britain has been greeted with elation in some quarters, with undisguised horror in others.

“When I even think of the words Prime Minister Boris Johnson in the same sentence, just incredible. Boris Johnson is the guy who has created in large part the damage and the division that somehow in the madness of our politics has made him prime minister.” Former UK political strategist

Elected by members of his own party, not by the people, Britain’s 77th Prime Minister has ridden into office on the back of the big bold promise to deliver Brexit come hell or highwater and the stakes couldn’t be higher.

“He wants to be a great British Prime Minister and the only way he can be a great British Prime Minister is to take us successfully out of the European Union. If we were to fail… it will obliterate the Conservative party… it will be over for us.” Conservative MP and Boris Johnson backer

On Monday the ABC’s chief foreign correspondent and former long-time Europe correspondent, Philip Williams, reports on the rise of Boris Johnson.

“As a very small child, he wanted to be world king. He’s always been tremendously ambitious. I think he learned this from his family, which was a very competitive family.” Biographer

“People who hate him, they love to run that he’s an incompetent and bumbling and so on. People who love him run a different narrative…We might call that [a] Vegemite politician. Some love him, some hate him.” Former Australian High Commissioner to the UK

Johnson’s shock of blond hair and colourful turn of phrase has turned him into a single name brand: Boris.

“He likes being in the spotlight. He likes danger. If he doesn’t have difficulties, he creates them for himself.” Biographer

During his controversial career as a journalist turned politician, Johnson has created epic gaffes and scandals but managed to brazen it out.

“Boris has had a fairly colourful private life. Scandals that would normally have felled other politicians don’t appear to have done any lasting damage to Boris.” Former colleague

The new Prime Minister must find a way to unite a badly divided nation. The years of Brexit brawling have split political parties, communities and even families. Now there are serious questions over whether the United Kingdom can survive intact.

“I don’t think he can deliver Brexit. I don’t think it’s possible…Ever since the referendum, I have felt that Brexit will end up either destroying itself or destroying the country.” Former UK political strategist

In Scotland, Boris’s Brexit is driving renewed calls for Scottish independence.

“I think at the present moment, then the likelihood is that Boris Johnson’s Prime Ministership will be the last prime ministership of the UK as it presently exists.” Scottish Minister

Those that know Boris Johnson well say that his Prime Ministership is good news for Australia.

“He loves Australia. He talks about Australia all the time. He has this affinity with Australians. He likes our sense of humour. He likes the fact that we’re quite earthy, and he likes the fact of our general optimism.” Senator and former Johnson staffer

Some are predicting that his tenure may be short lived and that Britain will be soon back in election mode.

“I think it’s very possible that by the autumn Prime Minister Johnson is saying, ‘I’ve not been able to get anywhere…and therefore it’s time for a general election.’ I can well see him taking that risk.” Former British Ambassador to the EU

Betting on Boris, reported by Philip Williams, goes to air on Monday 12th August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 13th August at 1.00pm and Wednesday 14th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and atabc.net.au/4corners.

Cracking Up

Monday 19 August at 8.30pm

Investigating Australia’s apartment building crisis.

“We’ve got a real problem here. It’s systemic and it’s infecting lots of buildings across the landscape, in all parts of the country. It’s very clear.” Building defect analyst

For 20 years the nation’s city skylines have been changing with the building of more than 650,000 apartments across the country.

“People are reinventing what the great Australian dream means for them…it’s been a transformation.” Industry spokesperson

Glossy advertising has wooed buyers away from the traditional Aussie dream of a house with promises of sophisticated apartment living and high-end finishes. But the shine has well and truly come off the apartment property boom.

“I have never seen a building that isn’t defective in some way. I know it’s my job, but even just walking around in public, I notice these things.” Forensic engineer

The emergency evacuation of two residential apartment blocks this year has blown open the industry’s secret - buildings riddled with defects.

“They affect people directly, they affect them every day. They cause a significant amount of damage over and above the defect, and so they’re very expensive to fix.” Lawyer

On Monday Four Corners investigates Australia’s apartment building crisis, from shoddy workmanship to lax laws, leaving owners out of pocket and in some cases out of a home altogether.

“If I have to pay for the repairs myself, I would have to go bankrupt. There’s no way that I could pay for it.” Apartment owner, Canberra

Four Corners will take you inside buildings and apartments in multiple cities to show how entrenched the problems are.

“The mould was basically all through the wardrobes, the mould covered the whole of the roof, down the side of the walls and spread over to the other side as well… it basically rendered the apartment unliveable.” Apartment owner, Melbourne

The evacuations are a public sign of a problem many have wanted to keep quiet. Everyone involved knows the threat posed to property prices when a building hits the headlines. On Four Corners some inside the industry are now speaking out about how this crisis has been allowed to happen.

“To suggest that we are policing the project couldn’t be any further inaccurate.” Building certifier

What they reveal is a litany of failure, to regulate and protect the buying public, even in the face of repeated warnings.

“What we’re seeing is the outcome from a poorly oversighted industry with a lack of competence and in some cases a lack of integrity. Commercial imperatives have really overtaken public interest in terms of decisions that have been made.” Building industry investigator

Those who know the scale of the problem warn that while new laws may prevent future problems, the legacy of the last 20 years will be with us for decades to come.

“There’s a lot of existing building stock that has defects in it. And we’ve heard many reports of owners dealing with those challenges that can’t be fixed by reforms.” Building industry investigator

Cracking Up, reported by Sean Nicholls, goes to air on Monday 19th August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 20th August at 1.00pm and Wednesday 21st at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Preview of next week’s episode:

Personally, I think it’s totally wrong for Australia to carry out bugging in Timor Leste all those years ago. It affects relationship between Australia and Timor Leste and put Timor Leste at a huge disadvantage during negotiations for a resource treaty between the two countries.
The Guardian Australia published this article two weeks ago on the same issue.

Secrets, Spies and Trials

Monday 26 August at 8.30pm

National security vs the public’s right to know.

“I feel we’re living in very dangerous times here in Australia…one day we’ll wake up and wonder how on earth we got here.” MP

In a Canberra court room one of the most controversial trials ever to be held in Australia will soon get under way. The case is highly sensitive, with key evidence central to the allegations unlikely to ever be heard by the public.

“This could be…one of the most secretive trials in Australian history.” Former judge

A former spy and his lawyer have been charged with conspiring to reveal secret information relating to an Australian intelligence operation aimed at a friendly foreign government.

“There is a legitimate public interest in knowing what is being tried…That’s difficult to do if a trial, at the pointy end, will be held secretly.” Lawyer

The two men involved are a former intelligence operative known only as Witness K and his lawyer, the former ACT Attorney-General Bernard Collaery.

“Traditionally, it’s simply not in the public interest to prosecute this kind of thing.” Lawyer

Witness K and Collaery are accused of disclosing an Australian bugging operation carried out in the government offices of Timor Leste in 2004. It was years after the revelations became public that they were charged.

“There is that I think overall perception that this sort of litigation is a payback, firstly. Secondly, that the secrecy provisions are perceived to be a coverup.” Former judge

On Monday Four Corners investigates the extraordinary steps the Australian government has taken to prosecute these men and to keep them silent.

“I don’t know what I’m going to be allowed to say in court. I’ve only just been allowed to speak to my lawyers after 18 months…but I’m circumscribed even in what I can tell my own lawyers. It’s an amazing experience.” Bernard Collaery

The intelligence community argues that prosecuting those that leak is an essential part of our national security.

“If you have everybody going out and saying, well, I don’t agree with something, and disclosing privileged information, then you don’t have an intelligence service.” Former intelligence analyst

But former judges and senior lawyers who have worked closely with the intelligence agencies say they are deeply worried about the prosecution and the use of the national security laws created in the wake of 9/11.

“I don’t think (these laws) were designed for this sort of case at all.” Former judge

The program examines the tension between those who say national security is paramount and those who fear the steady encroachment of state security on the public’s right to know.

“I think that for far too long, there has been this notion that, very few people will decide what’s good for us to know, and what’s good for us not to know. And I, for one, am not prepared to give them a blank check.” Lawyer

Secrets, spies and trials, reported by Steve Cannane, goes to air on Monday 26th August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 27th at 1.00pm and Wednesday 28th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and atabc.net.au/4corners.

Rebellion

Monday 2 September at 8:30pm

On the frontlines of Hong Kong’s uprising.

“We will do anything to get our democracy, to get our freedoms, by any means necessary.” Protestor

For the past 12 weeks, the metropolis of Hong Kong - normally one of the world’s most vibrant yet orderly cities - has been convulsed by turmoil, as its people rise up against mainland Chinese rule.

“People don’t have a choice but to find alternatives, which is to go the street and say, ‘We don’t believe in what China is promising’.” Protestor

Pro-democracy protestors have repeatedly seized control of key parts of the city, including its airport. These “flash mob” actions are designed to create maximum chaos and embarrassment for the city’s political leadership and their masters in Beijing. It has become an epic battle of wills.

“We are Hong Kongers. We are not Mainlanders. That’s what we have to say to the whole world. With the Chinese Communist Party trying to take over our country or our city, we will (be) against them for everything.” Protestor

On Monday Four Corners goes on the frontline of the protests, capturing the full force of the escalating violence with extraordinary footage.

“The protesters are now starting to move back as we can see the police in the distance and it looks like they are coming down straight towards us.” Sophie McNeill, reporter

Images of hardcore protestors dressed in masks, black t-shirts and yellow helmets - known as ‘front-liners’ - have dominated the news. Now Four Corners meets those behind the masks, who are risking everything for their cause.

“The reason why we all come in black clothes is that we don’t want to be identified…we understand that we are breaking some of the laws in the name of justice, and then we also know that if we are identified by the police or the government they will charge us.” Front-liner

This is a sophisticated protest movement that uses social media and encrypted apps to organise everything from protest locations to pop up shops providing contraband gas masks. The activists are often described simply as students, but this so-called ‘Netizen’ movement comprises a broad cross section of the Hong Kong community.

“In one arrest, the police arrested some 40 people. The youngest being 13, the oldest 62 and in between people from all walks of life. We have an airplane pilot, we have a nurse, we have teachers, we have social worker, we have a many professionals.” Member of the Legislative Council

Protesters say they are responding to the steady strangling of their rights by Beijing. Four Corners charts how in just a few weeks the protest movement has evolved from a dispute over a proposed extradition law to a full blown democracy campaign.

“We can be radical sometimes. We can also be very, very peaceful, as long as our demands are heard. But one thing, one message is that none of us will quit the fight.” Democracy campaigner

Four Corners cameras have captured the violence, on both sides, as the intense tug of war continues.

“They’ve surrounded him and they’re holding him and it’s not clear what they are going to do with him next.” Sophie McNeill, reporter

As the protests enter their 13th week, even those who support them worry about what will happen to those taking on the authorities.

“I’m very worried. I can never tell whether they’re brave or crazy brave. They think that this is the last stand and that if they don’t fight this one out to the bitter end, that’s it.” Lawyer

If their actions weren’t already provocative enough, some in the movement are hoping their actions will inspire the Chinese people to rise up.

“I do hope Hong Kong movement can serve as a beacon that tells mainland Chinese that there is an alternative. We can live better than just submitting to the terror of Beijing.” Protestor

Rebellion, reported by Sophie McNeill, goes to air on Monday 2nd September is replayed on Tuesday 3rd September at 1.00pm and Wednesday 4th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABCNEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and atabc.net.au/4corners.

Health Hazard

Monday 9 September at 8:30pm

How your postcode can determine the quality of the care you get.

“You’d be forgiven for thinking you were in a third world country.” Wife of patient

Hospitals are supposed to be a place of care where patients are treated by highly trained staff well versed in dealing with emergencies and a vast range of illnesses. But not every hospital is delivering first class care.

“If we don’t do something, and speak out, then this will just keep on happening, again and again, all around the country.” Father of patient

On Monday Four Corners reveals concerning evidence about the standard of hospital care many Australians are receiving.

“It’s terrible. You go home at the end of a shift, knowing that because of the circumstances that you’re forced under, you are unable to give a person potentially safe and adequate care.” Nurse

Medical staff say it’s time to speak out about a series of catastrophic incidents where patients have died or been permanently disabled.

“I’m aware of the consequences of speaking publicly. As a colleague of mine said to me, ‘at the end of the day, it’s your integrity that counts’. And I believe that’s true.” Doctor

Preventable deaths and terrible injuries have occurred because of the treatment patients have received.

“Every waking day is a sense of grief, really. That sounds awful, but to get through a day… I don’t think you can ever really get over that when something like that’s happened to your youngest son.” Mother

Those left with lifelong disabilities as a result of medical mistakes struggle to rebuild their lives.

“From being able to do everything…now I can’t do anything.” Amputee

The further a patient is from a major city hospital, the higher the rates are for preventable deaths. And with Australians being encouraged to move out from the city rat race for a sea or tree change the greater the strain on the hospital system, leaving medical staff struggling to cope.

“It’s unacceptable that your postcode can determine the quality of healthcare that you receive.” Lawyer

Health Hazard, reported by Louise Milligan, goes to air on Monday 9th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 10th September at 1.00pm and Wednesday 11th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Fake News

Monday 16 September at 8:30pm

The battle of the social networks

“I think we need to worry about fake news. People dismiss it is as being frivolous. It’s not. I think it’s the biggest crisis that we face as humankind because it’s dividing us. And as we’re divided we’re going get to a point where democracy is no longer functioning.” Claire Wardle, Founder of First Draft

Social media has transformed the way we communicate and how we express our thoughts and emotions. Whether it’s Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp or any number of digital platforms, there are more ways than ever for people to make their views known.

“If I see a piece of content that I have an emotional response to it takes less than a second from for me to share.” Claire Wardle, Founder of First Draft

The emergence of this online “public square” was initially hailed as a political game changer, allowing anyone with a mobile phone to hold the powerful to account.

“They have given (a) voice to those silenced people. And I’m not only talking about non democratic regimes where people through social media can spread information but I’m also talking about in democratic systems.” Silvia Majo, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism

As the number of users has soared into the billions, it has also become a battleground for fiercely contested arguments.

“What social media does is give more weight and more value to the people who shout loudest.” John Carlin, author

Now the concern is that social media sites have morphed into the perfect platform for orchestrated disinformation campaigns.

“Information warfare is a weapon and a very dangerous weapon.” Adam B. Ellick Director of Opinion Video, New York Times

In the sea of content uploaded every second, it has become increasingly difficult to distinguish between what is real and what is false.

“It’s easier than even before to create false content and it’s going to be circulating at speed in these trusted networks.” Claire Wardle, Founder of First Draft

As governments around the world grapple with calls to regulate what is published on social media, and with tech companies fiercely resisting attempts to curtail their business model, this timely program explores these key issues.

“Companies have a strong responsibility in terms of making sure that their platforms aren’t being used to disseminate hate or propaganda.” Adrian Shahbaz, Director for Democracy at Freedom House

This documentary from Spanish director David Fontseca explores the difficult dilemmas around who decides what is or isn’t the “truth”.

“The risk of governments regulating social media is that they will regulate something that we don’t fully understand.” Prof Sandra G Bailon, Annenberg School for Communication

Fake News, directed by David Fontseca, goes to air on Monday 16th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 17th September at 1.00pm and Wednesday 18th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

After Death

Behind the scenes of Australia’s funeral industry.

“I’m sometimes horrified by some of the things I come across in the funeral industry.” Funeral Director

With their soothing tones and soft-focus advertising, funeral directors promise to take care of our loved ones after they have died. But few of us know what really goes on behind the closed doors of funeral parlours around the country.

“Treating the person who’s passed away with dignity is incredibly important. At times (I) shudder to think (what will happen) when I pass away, if nothing has changed.” Mortuary driver

On Monday Four Corners reveals the dubious tactics being used by some in the funeral industry, from price gouging and unethical conduct, to the questionable treatment of bodies.

“These people aren’t meat. They can’t just be shipped around because it’s convenient.” Funeral director

Four Corners takes you behind the scenes of this billion-dollar industry where the problems can begin from the moment of death with an unseemly tug of war over who gets the contract to take a body.

“We many times, can turn up at a hospital and we’ll find the body’s not there… I’m aware of dozens and dozens of instances where the family haven’t been aware that their loved one has been moved.” Mortuary driver

Dying is an expensive business but as this investigation reveals, what you pay for is not necessarily an indication of the service received.

“There was just so much stuff not right, and it didn’t look anything like what she looked like.” Daughter

The program uncovers cases where families have been left out of pocket and deeply distressed.

“There was nothing I could do about it because once you pay, that’s it. That’s too bad. There’s nowhere to complain to.” Step-father

The program investigates how operators are getting away with this behaviour in an industry that is virtually unregulated.

“If you’re not going to treat loved ones with respect and care, you shouldn’t be operating.” Funeral director

After Death, reported by Stephanie March, goes to air on Monday 23rd Sept at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 24th at 1.00pm and Wednesday 25th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Married to Islamic State

Monday 30 September at 8.30pm

The women Australia doesn’t want.

“It’s quite a story.” 25-year-old Australian woman

In a baking hot detention camp in Syria, a large group of Australian women and children are being held indefinitely. They’re the remnants of the Australian contingent who lived under Islamic State. The Australian Government has branded them a “significant security threat” and made it clear it does not want them back.

“These are not innocent women who have taken their children into the theatre of war.” Peter Dutton, Home Affairs Minister

There are 20 women and more than 40 children stuck in the al-Hawl camp. Who they are and how they got there has until now, remained secret. Now for the first time, their stories are being told.

“Ask me all the questions you want. I’ll give all the answers you want. I have nothing to hide.” 25-year-old Australian woman

In this exclusive Four Corners investigation, the former brides of Islamic State reveal the extraordinary details of their lives in the IS caliphate.

“Most of us didn’t even come willingly here.” 28-year-old Australian woman

“I found that I was in Syria. Did I have a heart attack? Of course…I chucked the biggest tantrum. Did it work? No, I’m still here.” 25-year-old Australian woman

Tracing their journeys from quiet Australian suburbia to the streets of the Middle East and now the al-Hawl camp, the program will expose the network that led them to Islamic State and reveal the key figure at the centre of it.

“Looking back and piecing it together, I realised that he must have had more influence than what I was led to believe in the early days.” Father

Their families in Australia are also speaking out for the first time, in the knowledge that going public will bring judgement and attention.

“I’ve been told to keep it private with the government officials that I’ve been dealing with. And I’ve not spoken about this publicly before. I’ve not spoken to many people, outside of a very close number of friends.” Father

They too, want answers as to how the women came to be living under Islamic State.

“I want to know why she left, why she ended up (like) this, and wreck her life and our life…But in the end, she’s my daughter.” Mother

In the face of new security laws passed in Australia that could see them prevented from returning anytime soon, the women insist they are not a threat. They are begging the Australian government to let them come home.

“I’d like the Australian government to know that we’re actually broken. We’re shattered. We are broken people.” 28-year-old Australian woman

Most of the 40-odd children are aged five and under. The program examines the difficult question facing both Australian and Kurdish authorities - whose responsibility are they now?

“I want to go back home and I miss my sisters… I miss you.” 9-year-old Australian girl

Married to Islamic State, reported by Dylan Welch, goes to air on Monday 30th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 1st October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 2nd at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1177066211797921793?s=20

Killer Nurse

Monday 7 October at 8.30pm

“This young lady was callous, sadistic. She was attacking children after children. They were vulnerable, innocent, defenceless and yet she had no emotion whatsoever and no remorse.” Former detective

It was a shocking betrayal of trust - a serial killer working in a children’s ward, committing acts of murder on the patients in her care.

“She was quite calm, quite confident for somebody who’s just been arrested for murder.” Retired Detective Superintendent

British nurse Beverley Allitt was convicted of killing four children in small regional hospital in 1991. Another nine children survived her attempts to kill them.

“They had to use adult doses of shock for me…They were very close (to) giving up.” Surviving patient

Her actions still haunt both the police who investigated her case and the surviving victim and families.

“I suppose the only way you can describe it is flashbacks of what happened. She looks under her bed, in drawers, looking for Nurse Allitt.” Mother of victim

In this British ITN production, filmmakers have been given access to the original police interviews with the so called “Angel of Death”.

“No matter what you say, I’m sticking to me story, I did not do it.” Beverley Allitt

The police recordings reveal a cold, calculating killer who showed no remorse.

“It brings it all back actually…she sounded confident, she replied to us straightaway, there was no hesitation, she knew exactly what she was doing.” Former detective

The investigators recount their difficulties in finding the evidence to prove their belief that the nurse was responsible for the series of unexplained deaths in the hospital.

“I looked at the report and had the feeling that it was basically shutting down the inquiry.” Retired Detective Superintendent

Allitt was sentenced to 30 years in prison, but weeks into her detention she convinced authorities to move her to a secure mental health facility with far less restrictions. The filmmakers have unearthed evidence that Allitt may have faked her way out of prison.

“I think this woman is an incredibly manipulative individual. She’s somebody who has managed to pull the strings of other people for years and years.” Criminologist

Killer Nurse, an ITN production, goes to air on Monday 7th October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 7th October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 8th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1179613125613518850?s=20

Red Flags

Monday 14 October at 8.30pm

Red Flags: The infiltration of Australia’s universities by the Chinese Communist Party.

“Australian universities have not been sleepwalking, they’ve been in a coma. It’s astonishing. There is no excuse anymore.” Academic

Australia’s universities are embroiled in a growing geo-political storm amid rising concerns over the Chinese Government’s expanding power abroad.

“We do have an unprecedented level of threat when it comes to foreign interference. The threat continues to evolve.” Federal Minister

On Monday Four Corners will air a major investigation into the infiltration of Australia’s universities by Beijing.

“The Chinese government wants to influence political discussions and gain access to technologies and resources that universities have.” China analyst

Universities earn billions of dollars a year from student fees and research collaborations with China, but there are growing fears these lucrative arrangements may be putting our academic institutions at risk.

“It raises major red flags. A company or an Australian university in my view, shouldn’t be working with the Chinese Communist Party.” Cyber security researcher

From student fees and activism on campus to research partnerships and funding, Australian universities are more exposed to China than ever before. Four Corners will reveal how these concerns extend far beyond attempts to spread propaganda. Sensitive research projects are leading some to warn Australia’s national security could be at risk.

“It’s clearly not in Australia’s interest to be recklessly training scientists who will go on to develop technologies that could be used against our military and against our country.” China analyst

Defenders of Beijing say the focus on China is unwarranted.

“I think it is actually like a witch hunt…China has been labelled as some kind of threat. It’s no longer Yellow Peril, but it’s Red Peril.” Chinese scholar

In a joint investigation, Four Corners & Background Briefing detail how Australian technology and know-how is being used to help strengthen China’s repressive regime.

“It’s best described as tech enhanced authoritarianism. It’s the way that the Chinese Communist Party is using technology to augment…its own political security. Its own position and power is at the core of its concept of state security.” Cyber security researcher

Red Flags, reported by Sean Rubinsztein-Dunlop, goes to air on Monday 14th October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 15th October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 16th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Reprehensible conduct: The scandalous case of Lawyer X and the underbelly murder investigations

Monday 21 October at 8.30pm

“This is probably the single biggest scandal to hit the Australian justice system in history.” Editor

Informer 3838 was the secret police weapon in the fight to end Melbourne’s murderous gangland wars. For years the public only knew of her as Lawyer X until she was unmasked as the high-profile barrister, Nicola Gobbo.

“Who would ever have thought a formidable defence barrister is going to turn rogue and start using her clients’ information [and] give it to the police? You’d never think that in a month of Sundays.” Retired Detective Senior Sergeant

Her clients were a who’s who of the “underbelly” world, including infamous gangsters like Carl Williams and Tony Mokbel. As the body count in the deadly criminal war climbed, she worked hard and partied hard, playing a dangerous double game.

“The fact that it went for so long and went undetected for so long, and that she was capable of putting on the Jekyll and Hyde face throughout this on a daily basis is quite extraordinary.” Solicitor

The revelations she had double crossed her clients rocked the legal system and the people she represented when her role as an informer was exposed.

“She was effectively dealing up her clients on a platter to the prosecuting authorities when they had every expectation that she would be looking after them. She simply betrayed them.” Former prosecutor

Gobbo’s actions and the decision by the police hierarchy to approve them have now placed Victoria Police at the centre of a breathtaking scandal that is calling into question notable criminal convictions and the conduct of some of the state’s most senior police.

“When she walked in the door and said “I want to be an informer” they should’ve turned around and said “Not possible, thanks very much.” Solicitor

On Monday Four Corners details how this story of cops, criminals, murder and betrayal has unravelled and why it’s now the biggest crisis ever faced by an Australian justice system.

“Those who knew and sanctioned what was happening were guilty of terrible breaches of duty and extraordinarily unethical behaviour.” Former prosecutor

In this gripping program, prominent legal figures and many of those who were on the frontline of the gangland war speak out about how the actions of Victoria Police have undermined the justice system.

“Whilst you might have senior police officers who said, “Oh, yes, I wasn’t really comfortable about it,” they still allowed people to be convicted with tainted evidence and spend years in prison and did nothing.” Solicitor

Reviews into dozens of convictions are now underway and in what could be a bitter irony, the very methods used to put so many criminals behind bars may be the trigger for their release.

“Make no mistake there was …some really bad men who could get out of jail because of the actions of Victoria police and Nicola Gobbo.” Editor

‘”Reprehensible conduct”, reported by Michael Brissenden, goes to air on Monday 21st October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 22nd October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 23rd at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABCNEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1184692652064657409?s=20

Caro Meldrum-Hanna interviewed this morning on ABC Brisbane radio.

Asked had she received threats regarding her horse abattoir expose, she replied, “I don’t comment on such things usually…”

Ah, so this is a journalist who demands and embarrasses interview talent who won’t answer her questions, yet won’t answer questions about herself.

Journalism is a two way street, she’s accepting interviews putting herself in the public sphere, answer the questions, a simple yes or no and move on.

Click to change your life: Secrets of the multi-level millionaires

Monday 28 October at 8.30pm

“All the people at the top had these lovely cars, had lots and lots and lots of money and lots and lots of nice houses…I wanted more out of life and I thought that’s what was going to give it to me.” Former salesperson

The promises are big, bold and enticing: massive salaries, cars, holidays and life as an ‘influencer’. Job advertisements inviting young women to join online selling schemes are sweeping through social media feeds and attracting millions to sign up.

“The whole look of this company is really glamorous. They’ve really honed into the Instagram influencer market. I look at their pictures and I think, ‘Why am I not on a beach in Bora Bora 360 days of the year?” Undercover reporter

It’s sold as a dream job where you can work flexible hours from home and earn a commission on what you sell.

“This opportunity has completely changed my life. It’s got me out of the nine to five, realised my true potential to build a global business, retire my mum, buy our dream home, travel the world and spent every single day with my children.” Marketing video

It’s spruiked as a career selling makeup or skincare products online. What’s not clear from the advertisements is the true business model.

“Because it is a beauty business they think they’ve got to sell products. But actually this is a recruitment business.” Trainer & influencer

These businesses are known as multi-level marketing operations (MLMs) and have become a global phenomenon.

“People are both offenders and victims at the same time. If I do make money, because some people are going to…I’m making it on the backs of other people, who lose that money.” MLM expert

In this film from the BBC, the program investigates accusations of illegal pyramid selling practices.

“If I were receiving training that the way to earn money… is to recruit additional sellers, I would run the other way.” MLM expert

Young mothers are one of the key groups sought out for recruitment, but as this film shows, the promises of an easy way to make money from home is often far from the reality.

“I don’t like to say the word, but I targeted people like me - mums, young mums, people on maternity leave.” Former member

As social media turbo charges the MLM business model, the program shows who is making money and who is losing out.

“There’s no way as many people would sign up if everyone knew the truth about the earning potential.” Undercover reporter

Click to change your life, a BBC film goes to air on Monday 28th October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 29th October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 30th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.