Football⚽️

Its been alleged (by multiple people) that a number of those who participated were already banned, but because it was a City home game they weren’t identified as being barred from entering the ground.

The punishment has to be harsh and swift and sadly is going to have to impact all Victory fans.

6 Likes

It amazes me that security is so lax that flares STILL get into the grounds…

Football Australia CEO (virtual) media conference shown on ABC said in summary:

Giving a show cause notice to Melbourne Victory - working out sanctions now,
Melbourne City won’t get show cause notice.
Punishment will be the highest possible available to them.
Stressed that is an A League issue rather than football as these scenes are not seen at Matildas, Socceroos local league.
Previous record of Melbourne Victory will be taken into account.
Need to look at security to stop flares
State and Federal Govt and police involved in decision on penalties.
Decision will be swift.

4 Likes

Are they aggravating or mitigating factors?

Has an A-League team ever been stripped of competition points before? I know the NRL have with salary cap breaches and interchange infringements.

As for the fans, life bans at all A-League games (somehow). As for flares, dont they put them down their pants (i am assuming)? Making it harder to find?

Correct, and they either overwhelm security by all coming in at one point or they spread out in order for most to get through unnoticed. Women also hide them under their shirts “You can’t touch me there!”.

1 Like

It’s amazing how AAMI Park is always slow to get in, but this ineffective. I’ve had them make me take out my keys to prove that ‘something in my pocket’ was fine - but flares get in all the time.

Perhaps we’re at the point where implementing some of the stronger measures, clear, small or no bag policies, full body scanners rather than the ineffective wanding, etc.

It’s always the sense that these measures are anti-terrorism security theatre, not actually designed to prevent the kind of stuff that actually happens at these events.

5 Likes

They should be banned for life from attending any sports.

It is a thing apparently in the UK where banned people have to report to the police station at the the time of kick off. Maybe that should happen here. Make them do it for 5-10 years.

4 Likes

If they sneak flares in then the police should arrest them when they see them as they are bringing in prohibited items.

4 Likes

Considering the use of flares was strongly defended as “harmless” and “building atmosphere” only a week or two ago during public gatherings for World Cup games, I suspect a blind eye was taken to them.

1 Like

Defended by who?

The game has taken an indifferent view towards them (although at one point there was an attempt to find something less dangerous that could be used) which is amazing given that they’re illegal to use in that context regardless of whether the game supports it or not.

I really struggle with how they add anything, other then inconvenience - nor have I seen anyone adequately justify why they are such a key part of the “atmosphere” that is claimed

1 Like

Aggravating; though it was said there are no outstanding penalties against the club.

Previous example.

3 Likes

I’d take a guess and say that these freaks are the same style of people who were anti vax protesters. Seems similar to all of that.

2 Likes

Many who lauded the scenes from Fed Square during the WC where flares were let off to contribute to the “atmosphere”.

1 Like

Who is going to win the World Cup.

• France
  • Argentina

0 voters

1 Like

Either way Australia’s the third best team in the world :man_shrugging: :wink:

2 Likes

I think there is really nothing in this one… it will come down to a bit of luck, maybe a bit of Messi magic might just get the Argentinians home.

1 Like

It’s going to be one of the better finals I reckon. Either a flurry of goals (3-2 or even a late goal to make it 4-2) or a tense 1-0 win for either side.

1 Like

I think it will be low scoring… 1-0 win either way.

1 Like