Football⚽️

Tonight’s first A-League Semi-Final sees second-placed Sydney FC host fifth-placed Adelaide United at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium. Adelaide United beat the Brisbane Roar 2-1 in Redcliffe last Sunday.
The winner will play the winner of tomorrow afternoon’s second Semi-Final between premiers Melbourne City and the sixth-placed Macarthur Bulls in next week’s 2021 A-League Grand Final. Macarthur beat Central Coast 2-0 in extra-time in Gosford last weekend, despite losing defender James Meredith to a red card in the 75th minute.

These will be the last few games on Fox Sports for at least the next 5 years, after 10 and to be launched Paramount+ won the rights to Asian Internationals, along with A-, W- and Y-League seasons, this week.

Sydney FC beat Adelaide United 2-1 in the semi final, thanks to goals to Le Fondre and Bobo in the first half.

UPDATE 6pm AEST:
Sydney will face Melbourne City in the grand final next weekend, after the premiers beat Macarthur 2-0 in today’s semi final.

The A-League grand final between Melbourne City and Sydney FC will be held at Melbourne’s AAMI Park this Saturday night (June 26) with 50% crowd capacity.

3 Likes

Will this Matilda’s game be covered by another of the broadcasters? I know 10’s broadcast deal starts August 1, or will it be covered by 7 under the Olympic rights.

It’s on 14 July, so would be on either Fox Sports or sold by Japan, maybe to 10 or SBS.

The draw for the AFC Asian Qualifiers – Road to Qatar was held today, with Australia in Pot 2.

Australia was drawn in Group B, alongside Japan, Saudi Arabia, China PR, Oman and Vietnam.

Both group winners and runners-up will qualify directly for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, with the two third-placed teams will playoff to advance to the inter-continental playoff.

Watch the draw below:

1 Like

Tough draw for Australia, having Japan and Saudi Arabia in the same group. The Socceroos’ encounter against China also becomes a grudge match given the recent diplomatic tension between Australia and China.

2 Likes
2 Likes

With the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy on tomorrow morning 5am EST, I had a look on my TVs EPG to see what channel it was on here, and I couldn’t see it anywhere, and not on FOXTEL either…

A Google search suggests that only Optus Sport and YouTube have it via streaming. Given the amount of coverage it’s been getting on the evening TV news throughout the tournament, I thought a network would have the final.

The Final (as well as the simi finals) is open to all Fetch TV subscribers to watch live (you don’t need a Optus Sports subscription)

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

I sort of hoped Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers would have been held in Australia for “selelcted matches”, as it looks like their first game after the Olympic campaign will be held in a neutral venue. It was originally suppose to be at Bankwest Stadium.

The government (plus the ongoing situation in Sydney) was unable to grant exemptions to not have to quarantine for 14 days.

Yeah I don’t blame the govt though. It doesn’t matter who you are you need to do the quarantine 14 days.

Messi had been at Barcelona for 21 years, joining the club when he was just 13.

1 Like

Some may say this has been a very ‘messi’ exit :wink:

2 Likes

stop.

Lionel Messi has agreed to a two-year deal with French club Paris St Germain, worth A$55 million per season.

1 Like